My version of `Rocky` the rocking horse!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all
I`m happy to report that Rocky is still alive (as he can be!) and well and living in my grandaughters bedroom and doesn`t look like visiting the garage for the foreseeable future, he went down very well :lol:
Steve

wonderful, :D next time you visit you wont be able to resist going to visit rocky!
:ho2 merry xmas all!

Just came across this Steve and the horse looks fantastic =D>
Did you put hair conditioner on the mane and tie it down over night.
This softens the hair and keeps it in place where you want it,as in the piccy of the last one i made.Then just comb through it to take all the loose hair out.
Also the leather for the saddle needs to be dampened so when it dries it shrinks and goes taught when in place.

mainsadfitted-77.jpg

Hi Paul
Nice to hear from you. No didn't use any hair conditioner don't have much use for it myself ;-) and don't think the wife would be too chuffed using her expensive stuff. I'll get some and try it out.
Cheers
Steve

gasmansteve":duno2p1v said:
Hi all
I`m happy to report that Rocky is still alive (as he can be!) and well and living in my grandaughters bedroom and doesn`t look like visiting the garage for the foreseeable future, he went down very well :lol:
Steve

excellent news - the little rocking horse chair was/is a huge success as well; really made my Christmas!

guess I had better plan around Rocky for next year... :(

Hi firstly... stunning present, just beautiful

Can I ask, did you make the bases that the horses that have been pictured sit on or does this come with/as a kit. And cheeky I know... what was the total costing of the horses.

I saw this fella at the international woodworking convention at cressing temple in october. Wouldn't mind having a go myself. Also what was the tool you metioned? Function?price?

Cost of making the the horse:

1x sheet of birch ply = £50-60 - I got mine from B and Q and i think i got lucky with the quality!

Plus Sandpaper, glue, varnish,sundries say £30..

Arbortec carving tool - fits on a small 4inch angle grinder and cost around £100 for the pro version.

Accessories: saddle, hair, eyes, iron work - £100 - 230 depending on qulaity. (see Anthony Dew website or ebay)

Stand: I made mine from scratch as I have a huge stack of nice quality beech (ex- university lecture thearte tops). I glued up the posts and turned them and made the rest of the stand. There was a lot of work and machinery involved (lathe, lathe tools, planer thicknesser, table saw, router and bits etc). My advice would be to buy the stand Kit if you dont have the material and equipment to make it already. The kit price from the rocking horse shop is excellent value at about £175 from memory..

Ditto what MP said but I used an Arbortec attachment for my angle grinder about £30. I also treated myself to a Black and Decker power file (a small belt sander really but any excuse for more tools :lol: ) and that proved indispensable. I too was lucky with the Birch ply quality from B&Q. My stand was made from some Ash I found in the depths of the workshop. Hope that helps!
Steve

Can I ask how many hours we are talking for a build like this?

I've got a 6mth old and intend building one. Not for right now obviously but with a mention of 9 months I thought I'd better plan.

Gaz

Hi Gaz
A bit difficult to break it down into actual hours it took me from about May/June to December last year doing bits now and then ie the odd night and the odd saturday, I`m sure it could be done a lot quicker if you have the free time. The shop has plans for smaller (and quicker to build) horses and this horse is suppose to be ok for kids upto 8yrs old so you should get a bit of use out of it ;-)
Cheers
Steve

Hi Dal
The maine that comes with the deluxe saddle and reigns kit requires a slot cutting into the top of the horse about 9" long, you then bend the maine to fit in this slot (3/8") then try and bend a leather strip flat on top, bend the hair again and put another leather strip on top of that and finally (sweat dripping of you and cursing the @&%$ing thing) try and nail 1" nails through both strips and the maine strip... It really is as hard as I`m explaining it but that might just be me although I suspect not (hammer).
Regards
Steve

Back