My tool storage

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW!!! that's reaaaaallllly nice!! :shock: :shock: :p

I have some questions: are the planes enough safe in that vertical position? How do you remove them?

I'm just in the middle of making a plane-cabinet: the ramps are at 10° and the screwed block is at the back of the plane sole. I'm now wondering which system is the best......... :? and safer.........

thanks
Bob

Marc W - a very gloatworthy cabinet and collection of LN kit, but I wonder, do you use all of the planes on a regular basis? For example I can see a LN No 8 and 7 in the rack and the only difference between them is a wider blade and 50mm of cast iron...and about £60. If you do use them all, more power to your elbow, if not, then that's a very pretty, very expensive collection of cast iron and bronze not doing allot. I went down this road of tool collecting when I started doing cabinet work many years ago and its very, very easy to get sucked into the maelstrom of trying to buy every conceivable tool that might be required, and in my view, its cash that can be spent better elsewhere...I ended up not using three quarters of what I bought. If you look at the hand tools of folk like Alan Peters they have just the minimum of kit needed to do the job..Krenov is different in that he makes all his planes, apart from, I recollect, a Stanley block plane that's in one of his books. I once knew a old maker who had as his hand tool kit a beaten up Record No4, a Stanley knife, and old 25mm chisel,a 300mm steel rule, a Norton oil stone and a flexible tape measure...thats it...mind you, what he could do with machinery was another story.
I now, in my wisdom, keep the minimum of hand tools and buy kit specifically for each job as it comes along which saves a lot of the folding in the long run. If a tool doesn't earn its keep its taking up space and cash in a crowded workshop that could be used for other stuff. This is only a personal view and will probably provoke a storm of indignant protest from folks who like collecting toys, so I'm going to post this now, back away from the screen in case it explodes and disappear into the workshop for a couple of hours - Rob

Perhaps worth keeping in mind the difference between someone using hand tools for money and someone using them for pleasure.

Cheers, Alf

In a 1980's magazine.

It is common to store tools on pegboard (or similar). This is convenient and flexible.

But most people run out of wall space.

The idea was to make a "rack" for sliding vertical boards, spaced around 4" apart. Each board is pegboard on both faces.

To use, a board is pulled out ("opened") and the tool removed/replaced.

The gives a lot of good storage in a small (cubic) space; It's MUCH easier to make a rack for sliding boards than a load of drawers.

The tip was a prize winner IIRC.

Bugbear

Alf wrote:

someone using hand tools for money and someone using them for pleasure.

I have absolutely no beef with how folk spend their hard earned, but even for pleasurable purposes, can someone please explain why you would need a LN No 8 at £356 and a LN No 7 at £300.46 (current APTC prices). They both look much the same and they both do the same job. Even if you use them occasionally, that's an awful lot of dosh tied up in two pretty lumps of metal. When I have a requirement for a long jointer I may persuade SWMBO to let me have one, but I wouldn't buy two.
All of my tools, both hand and power are used only for pleasurable, non-profit making purposes - the penalties for getting caught selling as a non-registered business made me wince. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Will someone please put me out of my not inconsiderable perplexity - Rob

Rob,
I own 4 lawnmowers, all of them cut grass but sometimes I like to use one rather than another for no specific reason (although all 4 did not cost as much as an LN #7). There is a pleasure to be had in having a selection to choose from.

If the two planes only cost 50 quid I guess you would be less perplexed?

Andy

Dedee wrote:

If the two planes only cost 50 quid I guess you would be less perplexed?

That would be bearable for a while but would annoy the hell out of me so the cra***iest one would have to go and then I'd spend the money on something I actually needed.
Similarly, why have 4 lawnmowers, when as you say, they all cut grass? If I was in that situation, three of them would be in the back of the Landy pronto and down to the dump - Rob, whose definitely having a GOM sort of day.

woodbloke":15rg37cp said:
Similarly, why have 4 lawnmowers, when as you say, they all cut grass? If I was in that situation, three of them would be in the back of the Landy pronto and down to the dump

:lol: One of mine actually came from the dump.

Andy

Just need to see the doors now :wink: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Thank you for the kind words Alf, it'll be only one door, so you'll see it in half the time :D

... Maybe it would even work partly as an assembly or gluing table?

...On the other hand (being German ) I prefer to have the tools organized together i.g. planes to planes, chisel to chisels....
I would drive mad when one plane is hanging in the left door while all the others are somewhere else

Bernhard, that is an excellent idea, that of the assembly table. I think, I make it the same height as the bench is, so I can rely on for longer stuff.

Driving mad? No, so far no signs or even hints... :lol: :twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol: :twisted:

Can we get a more distant view and see the whole thing?

Javier, here it comes.
Werkzeugschrank_2.JPG

...I have some questions: are the planes enough safe in that vertical position? How do you remove them? ...
thanks
Bob

Bob, No problems til now, never a plane jumped up for almost two years now. :wink: Alf wonderfully explained how to remove on the first page.

woodbloke Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:55 am Post subject: Tool storage

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marc W - a very gloatworthy cabinet and collection of LN kit, but I wonder, do you use all of the planes on a regular basis? For example I can see a LN No 8 and 7 in the rack and the only difference between them is a wider blade and 50mm of cast iron...and about £60. If you do use them all, more power to your elbow, if not, then that's a very pretty, very expensive collection of cast iron and bronze not doing allot. I went down this road of tool collecting when I started doing cabinet work many years ago and its very, very easy to get sucked into the maelstrom of trying to buy every conceivable tool that might be required, and in my view, its cash that can be spent better elsewhere...I ended up not using three quarters of what I bought. If you look at the hand tools of folk like Alan Peters they have just the minimum of kit needed to do the job..Krenov is different in that he makes all his planes, apart from, I recollect, a Stanley block plane that's in one of his books. I once knew a old maker who had as his hand tool kit a beaten up Record No4, a Stanley knife, and old 25mm chisel,a 300mm steel rule, a Norton oil stone and a flexible tape measure...thats it...mind you, what he could do with machinery was another story.
I now, in my wisdom, keep the minimum of hand tools and buy kit specifically for each job as it comes along which saves a lot of the folding in the long run. If a tool doesn't earn its keep its taking up space and cash in a crowded workshop that could be used for other stuff. This is only a personal view and will probably provoke a storm of indignant protest from folks who like collecting toys, so I'm going to post this now, back away from the screen in case it explodes and disappear into the workshop for a couple of hours - Rob

Rob,

I make it for pleasure. I like tools for using not collecting (if collecting is understood as only to have not to use.)
As you know different planes serve different purposes and yes one can do almost everything with one plane, but that's no pleasure for me. I like too purpose made tools. And I hate setting up a jointer for jointing two edges together and then setting up for flattening and then smoothing. The #8 has a straight edge blade, a replacement blade has a light camber, but is used once in a blue moon. The #7 has a lightly cambered blade in order to make square joints and to smooth long boards. I had the #7 before the #8 and maybe wouldn't have considered to buy a #7 if it had been reversed. Their is though difference of weight and heft between the two. But I never would sell the #7, that I'd consider were wasting my money and my efforts. I aren't married, and so the LOML has to accept what I do with my money. :wink: I have no machines. All my roughsawn lumber goes first through my handsaws and then the planes. So I use pretty much of them. Not everday because I earn my living not with wood. I think everybody is free to do what he wants, you and me. :wink:

The danger you point to, getting sucked off by having to consume planes is there, agreed. Next I buy is wood to work on. Pleasure in woodworking is of course developing skills on hand tools but what I like most is finding new solutions and experiencing traditional ones. I'd find it sad having merely tools well set up and tuned, but no chance to dig the planes in the wood. On the other hand keeping just a minimum kit of tools ain't in my nature.

Regards, Marc

MarcW":3mszje8x said:
Rob,

I make it for pleasure. I like tools for using not collecting (if collecting is understood as only to have not to use.)

Ah, the wonderfully simple notion that there is only "collecting" or "using", and that the difference between them is clear.

But there are so many variations... Having the just-right shape and weight of hammer allows you to perform a task a little better than an only-appoximately-right hammer.

The question becomes - does having a useable hammer you've never (yet) used count as a "collector's hammer" - or is it merely a "user's hammer" awaiting the right task?

BugBear (with many tools awaiting the right task)

I have to confess I had the same idea like Rob. Why #8 when you already have a #7? Especially as there is a lot of money involved.

But I changed my mind after having worked with Marc´s #8. Especially when you do not have access to an e-powered thicknesser and jointer you will welcome the #8. The additional weight compared to the #7 is remarkable.

Of course when we look into the wood shops of some famous guys (like David C) they survive without. David clearly mentioned that he is fine with his #5 1/2 but he has a an e-jointer!

Moreover I bought as well a #4 while having a #4 1/2 and a BUsmoother. The same with BU Jack and a #5 1/2 and I can tell you I will not sell one of them.

Bernhard

PS

I like the one with the four lawnmawers! I am envious about the precise english cut of the lawn. Now I know how you manage :lol:

Marc - thanks for your reply - I will now sleep much easier tonight knowing that your mind boglingly droolable collection of planes is being put to good use, and isn't just there to be admired... might even have a tincture or two to help me get off to sleep.

Bugbear wrote :

useable hammer you've never (yet) used count as a "collector's hammer" - or is it merely a "user's hammer" awaiting the right task?

Someone once said... 'to hammer or not to hammer, that is the question....' or something similar..... William Spokeshave, wern't it? - Rob

woodbloke":1upcoqyl said:
Marc - thanks for your reply - I will now sleep much easier tonight knowing that your mind boglingly droolable collection of planes is being put to good use, and isn't just there to be admired... might even have a tincture or two to help me get off to sleep.
Whait a minute Rob, he tried my #5 1/2 and is considering to buy one! while he already owns a #6 :D

Bernhard

bugbear":1bjq1olk said:
Ah, the wonderfully simple notion that there is only "collecting" or "using", and that the difference between them is clear.

But there are so many variations... Having the just-right shape and weight of hammer allows you to perform a task a little better than an only-appoximately-right hammer.

The question becomes - does having a useable hammer you've never (yet) used count as a "collector's hammer" - or is it merely a "user's hammer" awaiting the right task?

BugBear (with many tools awaiting the right task)

Bugbear,

I knew when I hit the "Submit" button, that I would be caught up. You're right. My black & white view is actually no reality. I have to admit, it happened to me too I bought a plane only for pleasure to have (BUSmoother i.e. indeed there are more :whistle: :oops:) It is of no other purpose than experiencing its performance. But I use it. Others are used scarcely and one could consider them to be collector's tools. There is a grey zone between the two poles of the pure collector and the pure user. I spoke more of a tendency of me to be user, but none with only one plane and one chisel. I hope I got it right :) [-o<

Rob,
Glad to hear you will find peace. Don't worry about what's Bernhard said, I will buy no plane anymore, no not me :^o Perhaps a little siesta on after noon?

Bernhard, the #6 is no more to be considered playing in the same league. It's a real fore plane now with this heavily cambered edge. So indeed, maybe as David once mentioned, there is a good reason to come to a #5 1/2. ](*,)

Regards, Marc

Bernhard":3sw1s396 said:
I like the one with the four lawnmawers! I am envious about the precise english cut of the lawn. Now I know how you manage :lol:

Err actually I've just had a count - seems I've got 5 :oops: :oops:
I wont hijack this excellant thread anymore see Here

Andy

dedee":35jsef8c said:
Bernhard":35jsef8c said:

Err actually I've just had a count - seems I've got 5 :oops: :oops:
I wont hijack this excellant thread anymore see Here

Andy

No problem Andy at least they fit into the Hand Tool Forum :D
I remember my time as a Schoolboy when I had to work with this kind of lawnmawer in my parents garden. Today I am happy with a lawnmawer powered by an engine.

Bernhard

Hi Marc,

I have been reading this thread for a couple days--and I keep coming back and looking at your wonderful cabinet!

I'm still using one I built hastily and have always been looking at others' cabinets and thinking about building a nicer one. Yours is one of the best I have seen. Your ingenuity of ways to fit various tools is inspiring.

Simply wonderful. The detail shots are a great help too.

Thank you!

Mike
now waiting to see your portable toolbox...

Very nice cabinet, awesome tools and nice gloat :D :eek:ccasion5:

Is there anything in the Lie Nielsen catalog (besides the chisels) that you don't have? :-k :wink:

Back