My tool cabinet (just a small update )

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

head clansman

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all

Actually two half days

here we go , been planing these tool cabinets now for a long time.

Please bear in mind these cabinets are middle of the road , all ply wood which will be glued and screwed, ain't no posh job like others before me ,These are aimed at what most I hope should be able to cope with skill wise , and cost has been bourne in mind as well .

This is the first of two different cabinets, this one is the first , which will house my numerous hand tool I have accumulated throughout my working life.

Size wise most will find this one quite large , it has to house all my hand tools not just my joinery tools but also my electrical, plumbing mechanical & decoration +my general building tools .

It will be built as one unit but designed with three differing sections .

DIMENSIONS D= 600mm* W=1200mm H= err um ? I've forgotten I'll check on that and get back to you all , sorry .

BOTTOM SECTION

this will be a full width drawer of various depths yet to be decided , some will have sliding drawers/trays internally .

MIDDLE SECTION

this is to house my many battery drills + chargers.

TOP SECTION

This is solely for all my Joinery tools which is still expanding hence why I have chosen the size I have to allow for future expansion of tools that I still have planned .

The design is continually being altered as I go along , the upper section depth wise is considerable deeper that most wall hung cabinets , as mine is an all in one floor standing unit this will not cause me any concern weight wise, I still have a few thoughts/concerns about the upper doors design which I'll get solved before much longer . So hear goes .

first pic show template tacked on and router used to cut shape of side panels

PDR_2180.jpg

cutting out toe space in main base section

Photo-0210.jpg

ply shelfing cut and sanded up awaiting assembly

PDR_2190-1.jpg

cleaned up housing and chopped square at end

PDR_2184-1.jpg

both ends completed awaiting assembly

PDR_2186-1.jpg

showing assembled lower half

PDR_2193-1.jpg

again showing assembled upper half

PDR_2192-1.jpg

back tacked on and cutting to length

PDR_2194-1.jpg

back screw on around edges but not yet across shelves

PDR_2201.jpg

Assembled and stood up for the first time

PDR_2202.jpg

just a little clean up in the corner where the router can't go

PDR_2197.jpg

ok now you 've seen the size of it , that's the basic shell put together , a little clean up in the corners but not a lot, now i have to source some timber for a framework to go on the front of the shell and the front of the opening upper doors, so if any question I will try and answer you the best I can ,I'll keep all of those interested as the work progresses updated with regular WIP posts, stay tuned . hc

Martin

Wow, that's looking good. Since it's big and going to be pretty heavy, will it have adjustable feet to cope with any uneveness in your wooden floor?

And that's a really interesting handsaw you're using to cut the back to length - is it a Disston?

Its always good to see the work of a master tradesman. I am hoping one day to graduate from a wood butcher to that of a master

Cheers

Jon

Hi evergreen

actually you mentioned a very good point here. I suppose I could mount some adjustable feet to allow for any possible unevenness . the saw is not a disston it from there second line of saws a warrenanted superior dated dec 27 1887 its a real treat to use it, and i love to reach for it every chance i get .

I bought it a few yrs ago from ebay in the states with another saw which was a disston and that was a total load of rubbish knackered . hc

Hi tony

O my god, it was your bash today :shock: , deep s**t , sorry , sorry , sorry thought i still had a week to say yes i would come , i honestly thought it was next saturday :cry: i was looking forwards to meeting names a putting faces to them and of course seeing the finished tool cab, pipper, oh well no good crying in my whisky glass, maybe next year someone might like to remind me in time please . hope you all had a really nice day though weather was,nt to good to start with but did inproove . hc sorry tony .

hi triggaer

it's not how old i think it is i dont know for sure , but on the brass motive i suppose that what it call ,it is embossed with (pat dec 27th 1887) my mobile battery in flat at the mo and is on charge the camera on it has a macro setting I'll see if i can get a close up of it tomorrow if i can and if it readable i post a pic, but don't hold you breath. hc :wink:

ps sorry nearly forgot i take it to travis perkins for sharpening who send it to a saw doctor for just over a tennor it 's well worth it .

head clansman":3ta8uqgx said:
hi triggaer

ps sorry nearly forgot i take it to travis perkins for sharpening who send it to a saw doctor for just over a tennor it 's well worth it .

I wasn't aware that they offered a saw sharpening service, that's good to know.

jeremy has kindly taken one of mine home to sharpen, but in the future I know where to go. Thanks for the info.

hi tony

no problem, your welcome , they do planer blades circular saw it a complete service not just hand tools .hc

ps tony when you take one in ask for bob tool hire section .

Hi hc

Thanks for the additional pics of the saw. It looks a real beauty.

I acquired an old Spearior handsaw years ago and have never done anything with it but you've inspired me to clean it up and bring it back into use.

hi evergreen

well done you , it's not too hard to do , and it's not that expensive if you can't recut set and sharpen your self take it to a local building merchant who offer a saw sharpening service who will send it off to a saw doctor, i used to do them my self but the eye sight it's not as good as it was ,i use my local travis perkins for mine.hc

Ps good luck, pics when finished please .

hi jed

well its about time , last time we spoke you were in your chair waiting with blankets, hot soup being served by the missus , and barking orders for me to start :wink: where have you been, fell asleep ? :lol: :lol: good soup that must have been what did she but in it :lol: only joking , anyway to your question .

I've been mulling that over as a simular question was asked as well , your right it is a monster solely to accommodated all my tools , the problem i'm going to have is weight, not just the cabinet but even more when all tools are housed there .

As most here that have workshops already as your adding extra piece of machinery some time things have to be moved , or if your moving house even bigger problem with cabinets of this size , so if i leave it as it is, just to move a short distant will be very difficult even if it has adjustable feet which Is one idea , but to be movable easily on your own would be better , so i'm mulling over , say something like a removable set of wheel like a set of boggie wheels , but the problem i'm finding difficult to get my head around as i said earlier is weight mainly because most wheels have hard rubber tyres fitted , so if there fitted permanent , once wheeled into position and then left there going to get flat segments on them so when and if you have to move the cabinet it is going to be very difficult hence my problem how do i make them removable ????? hc any ideas guys

Back