My retro curved TV cabinet. Thoughts ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flanajb

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Well, after a fair few weekends, I have finally completed my retro tv cabinet. I just need to finish spraying the shelves, but I could not wait to upload the photos.

The only annoyance, is the left door had a slight twist in it. I might try twisting it back with a clamp.

Here are the pictures.

6100981656_834115ed9c_b.jpg

6100980856_3ba4f28ecb_b.jpg

6100980374_837e274433_b.jpg

not my thing but nicely done

that twist would irritate me - could a strong magnet catch click it flat when closed?

Pete

That's a really, really nice piece, what construction did you use?

I might have made the legs slightly thicker and continuous from left to right but then again, you don't sit on the floor to look at furniture.

Does the TV go on it or in it?

Aidan

Thanks for all the positive posts.

The design construction was as follows.

1. I made a foam former using B&Q orange insulation board.

2. I then vacuum laminated 1.5mm skin and 5mm aero ply to a thickness of 20mm. The former represented a side of the carcass, so I made 2 sides.

3. Having made the 2 sides, I then made a jig so that I could route a 6" splice joint to join the 2 sides. The joints were bonded using epoxy.

4. I then made a 40mm lay on frame out of poplar. I made a template for the internal curve, and just used a bottom bearing cutter for the outer curve after I had fixed the front frame to the carcass.

5. Doors are just mdf veneered with Cherry on the inside and eucalyptus on the outer.

6. Doors were hung with concealed hinges and blum press spring catches

7. The feet were laminated together using the same radius as the carcass.

TheTiddles":1loo9uby said:
Does the TV go on it or in it?
LOL, for a minute I thought that was the daftest question I'd ever seen, cos I assumed it would go inside it. But there won't be much room for any TV once the shelves are in place!

I love the design, it's very funky. The only thing that jars for me is the gap between the doors, so I hope you can resolve that. Would a piece of overlapping beading/moulding on one of the doors be an option?

The gap between the doors is pretty small. I think the photo has just emphasised it more than it actually is.

My only gripe, is that I wish I had made the unit 100mm or so shorter on the height. Having put the TV on the top it does look a little out of proportion. Still, it was fun to make

flanajb":2ua2z2ms said:
The gap between the doors is pretty small. I think the photo has just emphasised it more than it actually is.
I'm sure. And the twist in one of the doors won't be helping much either!

My rubbish suggestion of beading would just ruin the clean design ethos. Forget I spoke. :oops:

Thats turned out very well for your fisrt go a laminating & veneering and a nice finish on it too.

J

Thanks Jason.

The finish was done, by filling the grain with Morell's grain filler followed by Morell's primer and 65% sheen water based lacquer. I must admit, there is a great deal of satisfaction with spray finishing that I never got with brush finishing

flanajb":3pu2jjda said:
Well, after a fair few weekends, I have finally completed my retro tv cabinet. I just need to finish spraying the shelves, but I could not wait to upload the photos.

The only annoyance, is the left door had a slight twist in it. I might try twisting it back with a clamp.

Here are the pictures.

Simple wondrous, in both design and execution. How did you judge the design process - sketches, CAD, 3D renderings, mockups?

BugBear

bugbear":18ldan55 said:
flanajb":18ldan55 said:

Here are the pictures.

Simple wondrous, in both design and execution. How did you judge the design process - sketches, CAD, 3D renderings, mockups?

BugBear
Thanks.

I hate to admit it, it was mostly all in my head. I knocked up a quick drawing in macromedia fireworks so I could gauge what the contrasting white carcass and veneered doors would look like and then just got on with it. Once I had worked out that 130mm radius for the corners then I would be the best approach for the hinges I wanted to use, then I just cracked on.

The main issue I had was that my original former for building the curved carcass collapsed under the vacuum, but after some helpful advice from the wonderful forumites on this forum, I made it out of foam.

What does help no end. Is to envisage the process in your mind. Break the job down into logical steps and always be thinking about the next task in hand. This helps no end as you can then avoid nasty surprises.

I am already thinking about the next piece :)

That's a pretty cool cabinet! Though how do the doors open? I can't see any handles on there. I think that would be most irritating for me.

Very old-fashioned, would fit in my dream house :D

beatsme":kq6q4ovq said:
That's a pretty cool cabinet! Though how do the doors open? I can't see any handles on there. I think that would be most irritating for me.

Some latches are push to close, push again to open (via a spring, which was compressed when you closed it). No visible handle, very neat.

BugBear

Back