My recent injuries.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColeyS1

Established Member
Reaction score
Bank holiday Monday I decided I should finally finish painting my chopsaw station.
Before
2f22500f8cbadcd6696134a63b31667f.jpg

It was only a rough job so I only painted what could be seen.
26a738a6c463ef434f96acca4bc349ea.jpg

I finished the second coat on the carcase and noticed a shaving or something stuck to the plinth. I bent over to pick it off and my back went and I felt winded. An excruciating pain in my lower back for no reason what so ever !
My normal 20 minute dog walk ended up taking 45 minutes. Cut a long story short it got much better so I thought I'd ease myself back in today.
Then this happened
172c2fb04bacf57448326cdbea409480.jpg

Fair play to the drill cause it caught and spun the lump of oak around like a twig. Unfortunately it spun and hit my hand before landing on the floor. That'll teach me to not secure the workpiece properly. I iced the injury off and on for a couple hours and i think I've got away with it. So bored not working. I'm itching to get back in the shop and start making stuff again.
The plus side is I've put the drawers back in the saw station.
3eab7a4d7a8d45faf7d15e474fa914f7.jpg

The B & Q doors need replacing with mdf to match but it feels like a job I started many years ago is close to being finished.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

OH NO!

But it does go like that sometimes,
After an injury or flu etc i just want to get on but even if i can see my profit/day rate evaporating into thin air like like a fart in a gale, it is sometimes best to retreat to the safety of the sofa with a bit of dual icing treatment, one ice pack for the injury, another for the bottle.

Hope you feel better soon.

Ouch!

I wish you a speedy recovery Coley. Watch your back going forward (watch your front going backward?), you know what I mean!

Thanks guys. It was so frustrating not being able to do anything. When I've been back to work for a few days I'll be thinking wouldn't it be nice to have a couple weeks off though-ha.
I've got a couple teeny tiny windows to finish off before starting on a flight of stairs. I might get some help surfacing the strings just to be extra careful. The thing thats worried me (and still does slightly) is I wasn't doing anything strenuous whatsoever. If I'd been lumping around green oak or doing some else heavy I could kind of understand. This has left me feeling a bit of a precious buttercup !

Sorry to see you've hurt yourself. I fell over in my workshop last year split my head open, I felt like such a fool . It did make me think I should really have something in place to get help god for bid I ever needed it.

Looks a great saw station, is that a makita ls1013?

John

johnfarris":2uda4fo2 said:
Sorry to see you've hurt yourself. I fell over in my workshop last year split my head open, I felt like such a fool . It did make me think I should really have something in place to get help god for bid I ever needed it.

John
That sounds nasty! Do you always carry a mobile phone with you ? I know what you mean about feeling a fool. I was embarrassed when I stopped to chat to someone and explained what had happened with the pillar drill. He smiled, leaned over and showed me a massive bloody graze (size of a 50p piece) on the top of his head. Apparently something similar happened to him the day before !! He was drilling a piece of wood that he thought he'd secured in the vice and somehow it worked loose and walloped him on the noggin- you literally couldn't make it up lol. There's danger everywhere! !

Well spotted with the model number of the chopsaw. It's over 10 years old and was a great addition to the workshop. I couldn't be without it now.

Edit- oops. It's a LS1214

bourbon":18bkfddg said:
Doesn't take much to put your back out. I did mine picking a pair of shoes up!
That's horrendous ! Did it take long to recover, is it completely back to normal now ?

If it's only gonna happen once every couple decades I can live with that. I had some codeine tablets to get rid of the pain which 110% worked but they knocked me out for 2.5 hours each time. I'm glad I'm off them now!

ColeyS1":bhafvikg said:
johnfarris":bhafvikg said:

John
That sounds nasty! Do you always carry a mobile phone with you ? I know what you mean about feeling a fool. I was embarrassed when I stopped to chat to someone and explained what had happened with the pillar drill. He smiled, leaned over and showed me a massive bloody graze (size of a 50p piece) on the top of his head. Apparently something similar happened to him the day before !! He was drilling a piece of wood that he thought he'd secured in the vice and somehow it worked loose and walloped him on the noggin- you literally couldn't make it up lol. There's danger everywhere! !

Well spotted with the model number of the chopsaw. It's over 10 years old and was a great addition to the workshop. I couldn't be without it now.

I do carry my mobile on me since it happened.

I need to make a saw station which will in corporate a extraction system for my chopsaw. At the moment I have it on a mobile cupboard which is great as I can move it around the workshop but I need some way of catching the wood dust.

bourbon":2kxc8zt2 said:
Doesn't take much to put your back out. I did mine picking a pair of shoes up!

Pulled my picking up a magazine off a coffee table so I know how you feel.
Took me three years to get completely over it not nice at all.

Once your back 'goes' It's always going to play up. I have a VERY good osteopath I use. He keeps me mobile. A quick manipulation maybe once or twice a year. Doesn't help that I have been a fork lift truck driver for 34 years, driving on pot holed roads and constant twisting and flexing, isn't the best for a comfortable life!

johnfarris":3fznvzcy said:
ColeyS1":3fznvzcy said:
johnfarris":3fznvzcy said:

John

I do carry my mobile on me since it happened.

I need to make a saw station which will in corporate a extraction system for my chopsaw. At the moment I have it on a mobile cupboard which is great as I can move it around the workshop but I need some way of catching the wood dust.
I took a few pics when I was over the workshop but it's not 100%. It's still surprising just how quickly the extractor fills up.
7a2768351ae47a5626042a5e886ff4f6.jpg

This is a 110 volt saw ( for site use aswell) so the switch on the front of the station turns the extractor and transformer on at the same time- no way of using the saw without suction.
fc4f91d031f916063c368725f2f479a4.jpg

I originally had the hood funnel down and planned on keeping that blast gate open all the time, so suction at the saw blade and also at the bottom of the funnel. In practice having both open continuously meant I lost too much suction at the blade. The funnel gate just gets opened when I empty the bin now.
ab937a4035203f2be3b19ce9630d41b9.jpg

Here's a shot of how much dust is still escaping.
13c30c639c2e38486477e8a7d1dd9524.jpg

It must catch over 95% but it does still leave some airborne. It's an old saw, perhaps they've improved the extraction on it now.
This was my feeble attempt of improving the dust flow.
d72f15076850d55fe08a3ad7f1c2b25f.jpg

A piece of laminated paper which I think is perhaps a tad better than the original...but not by much.
Be interesting to see how you decide to build yours.

bourbon":31cdzhl5 said:
Once your back 'goes' It's always going to play up. I have a VERY good osteopath I use. He keeps me mobile. A quick manipulation maybe once or twice a year. Doesn't help that I have been a fork lift truck driver for 34 years, driving on pot holed roads and constant twisting and flexing, isn't the best for a comfortable life!
I'll have to Google the difference between osteopath and chiropractor cause I'm not entirely sure how they differ. If I went the chiropractor route would I be best to find one that does xrays ? Are they necessary or could it just mean more efficient treatment.
I've seen a bone cruncher a few times many many many years ago. One was at the local rugby club and the other was at a person's home.

ColeyS1":2oj35glo said:
bourbon":2oj35glo said:
I'll have to Google the difference between osteopath and chiropractor cause I'm not entirely sure how they differ. If I went the chiropractor route would I be best to find one that does xrays ? Are they necessary or could it just mean more efficient treatment.
I've seen a bone cruncher a few times many many many years ago. One was at the local rugby club and the other was at a person's home.

Hi Coley
I would definitely use a chiropractor that does X-rays. I have had a bad back (slipped discs) for over 40 years and however experienced they are it is the X-ray that show them what is actually wrong with you. My current chiropractor charges £30 for the first X-ray and then £25 if you need another X-ray for a different problem.

Whenever I am doing any work that involves lifting or twisting I use a weight-lifting belt like this http://www.argos.co.uk/product/4877040? ... ghEALw_wcB. It has certainly helped me and the only time I get back trouble is if I forget to put it on :roll:

I found neoprene belts with Velcro fastening worked fine when new but when the Velcro wears they are inclined to come apart whereas the leather belt has a big buckle that does not shift.

Maybe also think of investing in a "good luck" charm. :D

Regards Keith

Hope that heals quickly, been there myself about 20 years ago ,last hole of the day to be drilled and forgot to clamp the piece the drill caught and span the wood with such force it dislocated my thumb bending it back in line with my wrist.brought tears to my eyes and i damn near passed out,still hurts now when cold and damp outside . Really like the look of the unit ,could you try giving those doors a coat of paint and see how it looks ? imho i like the contrast between the drawers and the cupboards .

Woodchips2":11yhm5kt said:
ColeyS1":11yhm5kt said:
bourbon":11yhm5kt said:

Hi Coley
I would definitely use a chiropractor that does X-rays. I have had a bad back (slipped discs) for over 40 years and however experienced they are it is the X-ray that show them what is actually wrong with you. My current chiropractor charges £30 for the first X-ray and then £25 if you need another X-ray for a different problem.

Whenever I am doing any work that involves lifting or twisting I use a weight-lifting belt like this http://www.argos.co.uk/product/4877040? ... ghEALw_wcB. It has certainly helped me and the only time I get back trouble is if I forget to put it on :roll:

I found neoprene belts with Velcro fastening worked fine when new but when the Velcro wears they are inclined to come apart whereas the leather belt has a big buckle that does not shift.

Maybe also think of investing in a "good luck" charm. :D

Regards Keith
Some really good information there Keith, much appreciated. To be honest I thought xrays would have cost 300-500 quid so finding out they cost under 50 is absolutely Jeffing fantastic !!! I've found one that does x-ray (if he thinks it'll help) and has endless positive reviews. That's a relief off my mind !
I did look at the neoprene supports put read conflicting reviews on whether they help or hinder recovery. Possible hinder cause they weaken the back from less movement, then help cause less movement = less pain/risk. I'll see what happens.
Thanks

MARK.B.":2u0kwz2b said:
Hope that heals quickly, been there myself about 20 years ago ,last hole of the day to be drilled and forgot to clamp the piece the drill caught and span the wood with such force it dislocated my thumb bending it back in line with my wrist.brought tears to my eyes and i damn near passed out,still hurts now when cold and damp outside . Really like the look of the unit ,could you try giving those doors a coat of paint and see how it looks ? imho i like the contrast between the drawers and the cupboards .
That sounds nasty !! Were you surprised at how quickly it became painful ? Crikey.
The bruising starting to make pretty colours on my hand. I wonder how much icing it helped cause it's no where near as painful as yesterday.

The doors have given me a headache. I bought around 20 for 50p each thinking I could use them up in the shop- that was probably 10 year ago. The curvy rails don't match anything else, all the drawers have got just a plain small ovolo. After my back went I just clipped them back on to get them out the way. I thought they kind of looked ok. The saw station top is just plain varnished mdf and these kind of tied in with that colour. Someone who pops in the shop quite often said "when are you finishing the doors, it doesn't match" so I'm back to square one wondering what the heck to do with them.
Just painting these would be real quick, save attacking a new heavy sheet of mdf, use up the doors and create no dust. But which would look better....... It's almost worth just splashing some paint on and if I don't like it, chuck em out and make some new ones !
Cracking suggestion Mark. If anyone queries it I'll tell em you told me to do it !! Lol
Cheers
Coley

Hope that's the run over Coley! Tend to find these things turn up like buses eh?
Herniated a disc a couple of years back. Not pleasant. I actually saw a physio who was recommended by my Dr. He was excellent and gave me ways to solve the underlying issues both while rested up and long term but wouldn't treat the disc by direct manipulation. Not a solution for everyone. I'm always aware of it but manage it ok. Twisting and lifting at the same time is the culprit normally for most people I think. Things like stretching your hamstrings can greatly offset the risk. Like a lot of things we tend to think of it in isolation as a 'bad back' but it's a combination of posture, lifestyle, fitness, habits etc that also leads to it happening.
Take care.
Good luck mate and REST it!
Chris

Bm101":39bgknca said:
Hope that's the run over Coley! Tend to find these things turn up like buses eh?
Herniated a disc a couple of years back. Not pleasant. I actually saw a physio who was recommended by my Dr. He was excellent and gave me ways to solve the underlying issues both while rested up and long term but wouldn't treat the disc by direct manipulation. Not a solution for everyone. I'm always aware of it but manage it ok. Twisting and lifting at the same time is the culprit normally for most people I think. Things like stretching your hamstrings can greatly offset the risk. Like a lot of things we tend to think of it in isolation as a 'bad back' but it's a combination of posture, lifestyle, fitness, habits etc that also leads to it happening.
Take care.
Good luck mate and REST it!
Chris
Cheers Chris. Certainly seems to be turning up like buses this year. I've had about 6 weeks off since Christmas dealing with family issues and my own accidents- next year HAS to be better than this one !

Mark I'm glad you made the door suggestion.
0dd4d6e83a4892786a60b9aa09ea447b.jpg

I think it's looks much better than leaving them unfinished or even having plain panels. Nice one Mark- cheers

Coley

I had a shoulder which I couldn't move in the mornings without massaging it first - if I forgot to do it the pain was enough to make me scream. My mother had used an osteopath for decades for back pain, since her GP had advised her to see one (he was a brilliant doctor, a qualified surgeon, and at that time he could have been in serious trouble for recommending an osteopath) and she told me to go to see hers. This was about 16 years ago. He charged me £30 for the first appointment and £25 for the second - at the end of the second, he gave me his card and told I'd probably not need to return. I didn't, and that was after about 18 months of pain.
The downside was when I recommended the osteopath to an acquaintance, he looked up and said he'd already seen him and his GP had told him that he was very lucky the man hadn't crippled him.

Back