My Platter ? comments ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blister

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Thought I would throw my entry open to comments :mrgreen:
IMG_0992.jpg

IMG_0994.jpg

IMG_0995.jpg

Also my thoughts on a platter

As stated in the OED a flat surface for presenting items / food etc

I have always considered a platter to be a secondary element that plays a supporting role to the food / cakes / items

Its not until the platter is not in use ( With item on display placed on it ) , it then becomes a item to be admired on a table / shelf

So I like to keep detailing to a minimum ( so as not to compete with the food etc ) but like to use a interesting piece of wood for when its a stand alone item

I also like to raise the platter to lift the items and create some shadow under the platter also make it easier to lift and move about

Allen

On a practical point as you mention putting food on it, with the foot being relatively small would it not tip over if there were only food left on one side?

chrisbaker42":2v4a2gb7 said:
On a practical point as you mention putting food on it, with the foot being relatively small would it not tip over if there were only food left on one side?

It is a heavy platter and quite stable

Hi Alan,

From the top your platter looks beautiful - the wood you selected is fantastic.
I'm not so keen on the rest though I'm sorry to say.
For me it's too thick and heavy for a platter, and I really don't think the spalted beech base works with the rest.

cambournepete":dltjz3b8 said:
Hi Alan,

From the top your platter looks beautiful - the wood you selected is fantastic.
I'm not so keen on the rest though I'm sorry to say.
For me it's too thick and heavy for a platter, and I really don't think the spalted beech base works with the rest.

Cheers Pete :mrgreen:

Hiya,

I love the wood Allan, and i think you have a brill finish, but i m not keen on the foot. I do love the completely flat top, A little thick for me, but good to see the lip underneath to ease lifting.

So for , finish, function all achieved !

but ( with reference to the comp - not this critique ) was this not against the design for this month ? - as you have no rim ?

loz":34zlq7q3 said:
Hiya,

I love the wood Allan, and i think you have a brill finish, but i m not keen on the foot. I do love the completely flat top, A little thick for me, but good to see the lip underneath to ease lifting.

So for , finish, function all achieved !

but ( with reference to the comp - not this critique ) was this not against the design for this month ? - as you have no rim ?

Loz

It does have a rim but very shallow , I will take another photo and try and show it better :wink:

Hi Allen,

Difficult one for me this. The wood is lovely and I like the top and bottom views. I would rather not say exactly what I feel about the side view but lets say it may have been used for serving a few MacDonald's and lots of fries!

So suits its purpose then!

As others have said, it's a lovely piece of wood (I mentioned before that I thought it as oak).
The top looks great and the rim does a good job of not creating too much of a distraction from the wonderful grain.

A few things don't work for me-
The foot doesn't look right. The plain shape is in keeping with the rest of the piece but the grain and spalting doesn't work with the grain and burr of the oak.
I think it would perhaps look better without the foot at all. I just tried looking at the profile shot with my hand over the foot and I thought it looked much better. The nice simple undercut to a wide foot works well on it's own and creates a nice stable platter. The sudden stop to the undercut and an abrupt right angle before a big gap makes it look like 2 separate elements. It looks as though the small spalted section was just used as a support to raise the platter up for the photo. Perhaps if the profile of the side had curved in from higher up and curved straight in to closer to the foot (perhaps even curved in as far as the foot itself) then to foot element might have looked more in place.
I know you say that it's heavy and stability isn't a problem but the very fact that it looks unstable could be enough to put potential buyers and users off.

One last thing - it's probably obvious, but the platter may be problematic for crumbly food (cake etc) as bits may get stuck in the cracks.

I hope my thoughts are constructive. I know it's all personal preference.

Duncan

Allen,

I would echo cambournepete's comments.

Beautiful wood, well finished and from the top looks great.

The side profile is too "massive" for me and the beech foot doesn't compliment it.

It may be just my impression from the photo but the rim looks to be more than 12.5% of the diameter? :mrgreen:

p.s. did you get the wood from a certain oirish eBay seller?

like many others Allen I love the wood - when I saw the first picture I was blown away by it but I really dislike the side view. It almost looks like the spalted bit is the glue chuck it is so out of place. Turn that off an you have a massive, chunky masculine platter (love the little undercut you've got going there to help pick it up).

If you've got more of that wood you're a lucky man :) well done on the comp position though.

Miles

Thanks for the comments , good and bad :mrgreen:

Regarding the wood I have some huge pieces 6ft high 3 foot wide and about 4" thick , I am a luck boy

No not from abroad , from Birmingham when I purchased the VB

Still have lots left :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

myturn":3ew1z0c7 said:
Allen,

I would echo cambournepete's comments.

Beautiful wood, well finished and from the top looks great.

The side profile is too "massive" for me and the beech foot doesn't compliment it.

It may be just my impression from the photo but the rim looks to be more than 12.5% of the diameter? :mrgreen:

p.s. did you get the wood from a certain oirish eBay seller?

The image has distorted as it was very close up to the rim :wink:

Hi Derek,

I'm quite sure Allen will have his own opinions but for me its walnut oil.

Having said that, wax is edible and has been used for centuries so I think the obsession with 'food safe' is just another modern way of destroying the immune system along with most household cleaners.

gus3049":30dzjq01 said:
... for me its walnut oil...

Having said that, wax is edible and has been used for centuries so I think the obsession with 'food safe' is just another modern way of destroying the immune system along with most household cleaners.
You might have problems with nut allergies using walnut oil...
I tend to agree with everything else you said though :)

del":1hwj0zlw said:
hi allen

what kind of finishes do you use on your turning that are going to be used with food

cheers derek

Hi

I used sanding sealer
Food safe oil
Woodwax 20

but in use I use a paper doily on top of the platter before putting food on it , keeps a barrier between the platter and food for consumption

Latest posts

Back