My new Workshop Plan

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brad Naylor":1tpbw6jf said:
Believe me Mike, you've got loads of space!

Your proposed shop is pretty well the same size and dimensions as mine - and I manage to run a pro cabinetmaking business from it with myself and two staff.

As Scrit says, you need to consider the flow from timber store to finished goods and arrange your machines accordingly.

Personally, I prefer to have the big machines for timber preparation grouped together towards one end of the shop near the timber storage area. I would then have my main work bench and smaller machines such as router table, drill press, morticer, and chop saw towards the other end. I find that this arrangement means less walking around!

I would definitely partition off a small dust-free area for finishing with a stud wall and door. It is vital for this area to have a good sized window in it for natural light as well as ventilation.

Your timber storage appears to consist of upright dividers. This is fine for short-term storage of sheet materials but solid timber really needs to be stored flat. Have you any space for a timber store in the eaves? It'll be nice & warm up there!

Good luck with the project and I look forward to your updates (and opening party?)

Cheers
Brad

Looks like i will have to do a rethink cos i think you are right about the timber storage! :(
But i must admit i'm struggling to find room.
I hate timber stored flat as it takes up so much room and is murder to sort through :?
and how i'd fit a seperate room in there i don't know :( perhaps i'm giving myself too much room around each machine?

thanks Brad

Hello Mike, what software did you use to plan your workshop?
Very interested in re-arranging my shop and think this will help.
Cheers Matt.

The Welsh Workshop":2g79wa5z said:
Hello Mike, what software did you use to plan your workshop?
Very interested in re-arranging my shop and think this will help.
Cheers Matt.
I use Google Sketchup which is fantastic - look in the design forum - most people seem to use it.

Mike

Back