My new Workshop Plan

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpooley

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks
Just thought i'd upload my worshop plan - I'm hoping to start this next month.
workshoplayout.jpg

the dimensions are 15mtr x 5mtr so each square is 1sqm !
The wood storage is at the right hand end.
I havnt worked out what extraction system i'm going to use yet so i havnt put that in. most of the machines are on the back wall so extractor could go at the left hand end or even out the back in the the middle.
If anyone can see anything wrong or make suggestions i would be more than happy to hear them.
Tools are from left to right - router table - RAS - chop saw - morticer - planer- sander - grinder - Drill - with the Table saw and the bandsaw on the front wall and the thicknesser in the middle. The left hand bench is a work/assembly bench and a infeed table for sheet material for the TS and the second ones main use will be as an outfeed table for the TS

Thanks
Mike

Looks great Mike and LOADS of space!

One minor observation is that your timber store is a long way from the table saw and RAS and you may end up carrying heavy sheets the full length of the shop.

Can't wait for a full workshop tour when it's finished.

Cheers
Mike

Looks neat to me. Are you sure it's big enough? :lol:

Looking foward to the WIP of the build and the tour.

Andy

Yoh Mike,
Why with all that room, is the pillar drill tucked away in that corner? I have found over the years that I want at least six feet either side, perhaps just me, and also, with all that room you suck 8) .

Nice workshop Mike.

But, I'm with Mike, (Sawdust), on this one.

It might be worth imagining the process of building something and walking around the workshop. Just to see the most apropriat position for your machines. And once the shop is built actually walk around to see if everything fit ok.

Good luck on your build. keep us informed. and of coarse, everyone just loves pictures.

Awesome.....

With all that space, I'd have considered partitioning off a finishing room.

Jon

All that space!!!! it seems too small to me! :shock:
I cant see how i could fit much more in! Not comfortably anyway?
Its the biggest i can get away with on the plot otherwise i would have made it wider but at least all my main machines are catered for.
I'm looking at getting a Legacy so will need what space i've got left for that :eek:
Good points tho about the wood store- i might move the larger sheets up to the corner near to the TS. The pillar drill i'm not sure about, most people seem to have them in corners! and i spose i've just followed tradition lol - but i dont remember having to drill holes in anything much over 3ft (of course my memory is rubbish!) and i cant see anywhere else to put it? I spose i could put the grinder and belt sander in the corner and move the drill along a bit. what do u think?
I've tried to leave the RAS and chop saw with loads of space either side and i'm gonna fit a fence with tape measure and stop system same as in my old workshop.
The router table - i've left as much all round space as i can. the morticer sometimes needs a good 7ft either side for doors etc . planer has enough infeed and outfeed i think and the thicknesser will be on wheels if there is not enough room.
this is what workshop will look like.

workshopplan.jpg

Mike

Just wondered how the workshop was going. Similar size to the one I am planning so would b einterested in a progress report.

Rob

Hi Mike

If I might make a couple of (hopefully constructive) points about layout. The old trade joinery shop workflow works quite well, that is:-

Cross cut (rough) - rip cut (rough) - plane and edge - thickness - mortise/dowel drill - cut curves (bandsaw) - profile edges (spindle moulder/router) - tenon - sand - assemble - finish

Taking that as a reasonable throughflow, I think you'd possibly be better off reversing the flow through the shop from the timber stack towards the double doors with the radial arm saw on the opposite wall to where it is now and the planer, thicknesser and radial arm saw all down at the same end. Crosscuts rarely need more than about 2 metres of bench to the left, and if the bench were aligned in such a way that items over 2 metres could be supported on a trestle placed in the up and over doorway it might pay some dividends.

As to having the drill press in the corner, well that allows you to drill longer pieces, but I'd say the location depends on what you use your drill press for.

BTW really impressive home shop. I've run a business in less space! (but only just)

Scrit

Mike,
Love the shop, superb, especially the Normesque Cupola or Mosque!
You'll probably end up with bats......
Regards,
Martin
PS: I'm with the others, you suck mightily!

Hi Mike,
Very nice, as it happens the layout is kind of similar to mine (15 x 20) 'tho I have a wood store in a seperate area.

The sink & water heater are essential IMHO - I put in two (One for cleaning brushes etc. other one for hands)

And yes loads and loads of sockets and as many lights as you can get.
How are you planning on heating it? Wood burner maybe??

Believe me Mike, you've got loads of space!

Your proposed shop is pretty well the same size and dimensions as mine - and I manage to run a pro cabinetmaking business from it with myself and two staff.

As Scrit says, you need to consider the flow from timber store to finished goods and arrange your machines accordingly.

Personally, I prefer to have the big machines for timber preparation grouped together towards one end of the shop near the timber storage area. I would then have my main work bench and smaller machines such as router table, drill press, morticer, and chop saw towards the other end. I find that this arrangement means less walking around!

I would definitely partition off a small dust-free area for finishing with a stud wall and door. It is vital for this area to have a good sized window in it for natural light as well as ventilation.

Your timber storage appears to consist of upright dividers. This is fine for short-term storage of sheet materials but solid timber really needs to be stored flat. Have you any space for a timber store in the eaves? It'll be nice & warm up there!

Good luck with the project and I look forward to your updates (and opening party?)

Cheers
Brad

Thanks Scrit.

I hadnt thought of putting the RAS on that side! mainly i think because of keeping most of the tools on 1 side for the extraction run plus in the past i have bought a lot of 5mtr length material and have found it very usefull to have it all supported.
I wont be using so much pine in the future though and i suppose hardwood comes in shorter lengths?

I will have a good think!

I will start a workshop build thread as soon as i get past the foundation stage. Being held up by the weather and relying on others at the moment!!

Thanks again
Mike

Back