My new tropical aquarium setup.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ColeyS1":3ogmusmj said:
SteveF":3ogmusmj said:
damn post dissapeared
anyway
nice to see a post about fish tanks in a woodwork forum
I have been keeping fish for over 20 years
down to a 2 foot cube now
even used to have an 8 x 4 x 4 tank in garden for a few years

Steve
Got any pictures you could share ? In the short time I've had them I do find myself watching them alot. I moved the small coldwater tank so I could see it easier when I go home for lunch and dinner. They just seem so chilled and relaxed with very little input from me.
I'm very surprised by the amount of people on here who keep them !!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
no pictures of latest tank
but here is a teaser of my outdoor tank

https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/ ... a%20Graves

Steve

LancsRick":1za42krk said:
No it's just much more of an adhesive than bathroom silicone, plus it doesn't leach all sorts of toxic chemicals into the tank water.
Quite smelly though when I stuck my head inside !
Just went and looked at ukaps.org - Gulp ! just looked at the homepage and can already tell I've wasted alot of money buying plastic plants. The homepage images make the tank look natural- I've bought a jeffing submarine for them to swim in lol. What can of worms have I just opened !?!

LancsRick":2sr49g2b said:
One of my old tanks.
?????????????????????????????????? Oh my goodness !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's stunningly beautiful !

It's addictive trust me, but also beautiful. Doesn't have to cost the earth either, I bought very few things new, most things can be traded, bred or grown.

Thanks that's kind of you. Check out UKAPS a bit more though, I'm in the little leagues with what I used to do.

SteveF":hj2zt1py said:
ColeyS1":hj2zt1py said:
SteveF":hj2zt1py said:
damn post dissapeared
anyway
nice to see a post about fish tanks in a woodwork forum
I have been keeping fish for over 20 years
down to a 2 foot cube now
even used to have an 8 x 4 x 4 tank in garden for a few years

Steve
Got any pictures you could share ? In the short time I've had them I do find myself watching them alot. I moved the small coldwater tank so I could see it easier when I go home for lunch and dinner. They just seem so chilled and relaxed with very little input from me.
I'm very surprised by the amount of people on here who keep them !!

no pictures of latest tank
but here is a teaser of my outdoor tank

https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/ ... a%20Graves

Steve
Swearings bad, but are you being fudging serious !!@£¥^^$_&_=$==//€/$=^^$$:&! I can't take that in, it blows my mind ! That's amazing !

LancsRick":39pw41iv said:
It's addictive trust me, but also beautiful. Doesn't have to cost the earth either, I bought very few things new, most things can be traded, bred or grown.
You've got me thinking now. Perhaps a more oblong shape could be easier to arrange, maybe less chance of something falling ? It seems I wrongly thought having a taller thinner tank would allow me to see the fish more. Your picture changes that entirely. The plants look as interesting as the fish!

Decide what you like, do some reading, and I'll gladly chat through any thoughts you have and steer you in the right direction. UKAPS is your single best community in the UK for this hobby (planted).

ColeyS1":1psxk9is said:
LancsRick":1psxk9is said:
You've got me thinking now. Perhaps a more oblong shape could be easier to arrange, maybe less chance of something falling ? It seems I wrongly thought having a taller thinner tank would allow me to see the fish more. Your picture changes that entirely. The plants look as interesting as the fish!

I have co2 injection in my tank to help grow plants
a fire extinguisher supplies that
the plants can be more appealing to the fish

Steve

I used to keep fish - I keep feeling tempted, but maybe not yet.

I kept a very natural tank, trying to replicate amazonian stream and breed apistogramma (cactuoides were my favourite) They look after the eggs and young in a very appealing way. Plus the surplus were welcome in the local fish shop (aquarist not chippy). Water was very peaty - definitely brown, and acidic - but thats what they seemed to like. plecs thrived too - I bought them small and sold them when they got too big. Loads of live plants, special light bulbs to encourage the plants, but on a strict timing. Live food too - I had a standing population of daphnia and something else whose name eludes me at present (Copepods - just remembered). No red worms though. I used coarse gravel and undergravel filters. Rarely cleaned anything - about once a month, maybe less frequently, remove 25% of the water and replace with rainwater.

Daft question but does the type of fish have an influence on what sort of plants are used ? I've never seen anything quite like it.
I was googling last night "tall fish tank setups" to try and get ideas. I'll never be anywhere near the level that you guys are though. My main priority is making the fish comfortable over the next week and perhaps researching a new suitable substitute if this one still leaks/explodes.

Is there a brand fishtank that have a good reputation for quality?

Just pour in 3 lb of common or garden salt and bosh. Marine Tank. Just like that mate. All your fish will get brighter coloured and corals will magically appear. Plus you will be able to keep squids and an octopus so you can place bets on the next World Cup so everything will pay for itself. It's a no brainer Coley.

DrPhill":3d18gfkp said:
I used to keep fish - I keep feeling tempted, but maybe not yet.

I kept a very natural tank, trying to replicate amazonian stream and breed apistogramma (cactuoides were my favourite) They look after the eggs and young in a very appealing way. Plus the surplus were welcome in the local fish shop (aquarist not chippy). Water was very peaty - definitely brown, and acidic - but thats what they seemed to like. plecs thrived too - I bought them small and sold them when they got too big. Loads of live plants, special light bulbs to encourage the plants, but on a strict timing. Live food too - I had a standing population of daphnia and something else whose name eludes me at present (Copepods - just remembered). No red worms though. I used coarse gravel and undergravel filters. Rarely cleaned anything - about once a month, maybe less frequently, remove 25% of the water and replace with rainwater.
How come you gave up ? I keep hearing it alot that people did keep them but then decided to give up. Apparently the guy I bought the tank and fish from lost enthusiasm when he had two predatory fish go on a killing spree. Your tank setup sounds fascinating. I hate to ask but don't suppose you've got any pictures? I'm going to copy and paste the fish names in your thread to see how they look.
Cheers

Bm101":14yhj7dt said:
Just pour in 3 lb of common or garden salt and bosh. Marine Tank. Just like that mate. All your fish will get brighter coloured and corals will magically appear. Plus you will be able to keep squids and an octopus so you can place bets on the next World Cup so everything will pay for itself. It's a no brainer Coley.
Yeah I've heard it's easy peasy ! [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]Something about a power cut being a killer, 24 degrees end of, skimmers, strict ph levels and all sorts of other things that are beyond me. The fish look amazing though...

Steve, regarding the co2 injection, I'm guessing there's a bit more to it then just blasting it with an extinguisher? Does it need careful dosing or somehow dispensing in small amounts ? Is there any risk to the fish ?

DrPhill, those fish look magnificent ! Almost like they've got multicoloured mohawks.

Back