my new side gate

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trojan62

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all,
i thought id post some pictures of my new gate that i made to replace our old one that was falling apart.
its made from 3x1 and 2x2 pine, finished with a dark oak oil paint.
took me about 3 days.
hope you like it

cheers

chris.......

Attachments

• photo (1) (Small).JPG
    photo (1) (Small).JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 1,825
  • photo (2) (Small).JPG
    photo (2) (Small).JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 1,825
  • photo (Small).JPG
    photo (Small).JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 1,825
Nice job Chris. You just need to take the braces out and reverse them. they are to stop the opening side of the gate from sagging, so the top of the brace needs to be on the lock side not the hinge side. :wink:

Just half lap a diagonal the way.

Apart from that nice gate.

Pete

Grayorm":4i941g5x said:
Nice job Chris. You just need to take the braces out and reverse them. they are to stop the opening side of the gate from sagging, so the top of the brace needs to be on the lock side not the hinge side. :wink:

hi,
yeah i did wonder about this when i bulit the gate, ive seen other gates made the same so i just did the same. the gate came out quite heavy and already sags a bit due to the old post that is just cemented in the gate.
if i can be bothered ill change the braces round, if not ill see how it goes.
thanks for the comment, no problem in pointing out how its supposed to be done.

cheers

chris....

trojan62":2yfwypce said:
Grayorm":2yfwypce said:

hi,
yeah i did wonder about this when i bulit the gate, ive seen other gates made the same so i just did the same. the gate came out quite heavy and already sags a bit due to the old post that is just cemented in the gate.
if i can be bothered ill change the braces round, if not ill see how it goes.
thanks for the comment, no problem in pointing out how its supposed to be done.

cheers

chris....

Suggest if you do take them off, leave the gate in place and wedge the opening edge up slightly before refitting them. :wink: Nice job, I'd be happy with the finish and look of it myself.

Hi folks,
Thanks for all the comments and info about my gate. Could I ask exactly how does the bracing done the other way stop the sagging. The post that is on the hinge side is an old post concreted into the ground and not attached to anything else. This seems to make it sag a little.

Cheers
Chris.......

The brace pushes down onto the hinge side that cannot move due to being restrained by the hinges.

Imagine holding at arm's length a long stick, after a while it would start to drop, if you were to brace it against your hip with another stick diagonally attached to the end you would find it easier to hold up and horizontal.

Actually quite difficult to describe!

Mick

trojan62":1jgdtvps said:
Could I ask exactly how does the bracing done the other way stop the sagging.

Imagine the rectangular frame as if it were four lengths of meccano with a single slightly-loose bolt at each corner - there's nothing like this to keep it square, right? If you just hold one of the side lengths, the whole thing will just flop down into a parallelogram shape without any other support. That's the sagging that people are talking about. Sure, your joints aren't as loose as loose bolts, but over time the weight of the gate may start to move them nonetheless.

Now, imagine that you have a length of stiff card - mounting-board or something - with which to reinforce your meccano frame, which is just long enough to fit diagonally inside the squared frame, from inside-corner to inside-corner. If you position that bit of card such that it's aligned from the top corner of the side you're holding to the bottom corner of the opposite side, the frame will still sag - the bottom corner you've put your card against will actually move away from the card, so the card can't brace it.

If you put your bit of card instead running from the bottom corner the side you're holding to the top corner on the far side (the opposite way around to that which you've braced your gate), then as the frame sags the corner will actually move towards the brace, meaning that the stiffness of the brace pushing against the bottom corner of the fixed side of the frame (which isn't moving) prevents the frame from sagging any further.

trojan62":2f2s1hc7 said:
Hi folks,
Thanks for all the comments and info about my gate. Could I ask exactly how does the bracing done the other way stop the sagging. The post that is on the hinge side is an old post concreted into the ground and not attached to anything else. This seems to make it sag a little.

Cheers
Chris.......

Chris, it won't stop the post from sagging, but will stop the gate itself from sagging and becoming out of square with it's own weight.

Heck....the easy way to fix a sagging gate is to run an eyebolt into the hinge post & another one to the top of the outer corner to the gate. Join the two eyebolts with a steel cable & turn buckle. Tighten the cable until the sag is removed. End of problem.

Lee

Nice looking gate! I wouldn't have pointed out the bracing as its a weekend, bank holiday one at that and after a few beers.... well! :D
Anyway, if I were you I'd consider just either cutting a brace in between the existing one, or for a more robust brace, cut a full one and half lap it into the exisiting. Nothing wrong with double bracing as a gate I made for a customer here shows:
http://www.freewebs.com/simonswoodwork/Image023.jpg

Back