My New Security Garden Gate

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adzeman

Established Member
Reaction score
I have built a number of gates recently and the boss (my wife) wanted one now! It was required to be completed before:-
1. We took delivery of a spa and
2. Before I went to Hospital for a minor operation.

The original gate

DSCN4862.JPG

I failed the completion target.

I did manage to at least partially complete it, there were a couple of changes of spec.
1. A change from painted to stained.
2. The insertion of an observation window.
The original spec called for it to be a security gate. Have an arched top. The top to line up with the top of my neighbours gate.
I also had to first persuade my neighbour to repair his fence, repair the gate and replace his post which was rotten and not into the ground.

Partially completed ready for paint

20130715_182154.jpg

The main part of the construction is forming the arch and an essential for this was half a sheet of 20mm ply. I used this as a rod for the whole door.

All dimensions were marked on a staff taken from the existing opening at no time during this construction was measuring tape or ruled used.

The equipment used in setting out this project.
DSCN5171.JPG

For the angle of the segments I settled for 30/60 degrees. The cuts for the segments are not very forgiving and most of you know when working with angles accuracy of cut is paramount. Therefore, with the use of the dividers I could set an accurate angle by producing an equilateral triangle. Drawing the radius using the trammel and stepping out the segments on the external diameter. By using the external diameter in drawing out the spokes any error (say by thickness of pencil) is halved while if using the internal diameter is doubled.

DSCN5175.JPG

The segments are in three layers, the centre layer forming the rebate to take the vertical boarding. The joints being carefully cut, making sure they were straight and square. No wobbling, I did not want any touching up if |I could help it. I wanted it to be glued up straight from the cut. That was 22 cuts which at that point I was pleased with. When cut I jointed them with two biscuits to each joint.

DSCN5176.JPG

The segments were placed on the ply secured in position and the diameters marked to ensure one biscuit is central to the segment and the other is central to the waste. I used two to assist with alleviating twist.

The segments were glued together using the ply rod as a cramping table.

DSCN5173.JPG

The segments were then cut to the crescent shape using the router on a ply radius jig. The radius being taken off the ply rod.

DSCN5181.JPG

And the three crescents glued one on top of each other carefully lining each crescent up with the one above and in line with the marks on the ply rod.
It was at this point some discrepancies became apparent as they do when you start a glue up. Of the 22 cuts one or could be two were found not to marry up. It was less than a sixteenth but looked huge! My Japanese saw came to the rescue. Cramping the joint up and inserting the saw with a backward cut gives a sharp fitting cut.

DSCN5194.JPG

When the glue had set the now heavy block was sanded down and checked for defects. One was identified which was cut out and a splice inserted.

DSCN5191.JPG

Planed and sanded off.

DSCN5192.JPG

DSCN5184.JPG

The arch was attached to the main frame with a bridle joint.

DSCN5195.JPG

Boards fitted and fixed.

Internally+boarded.jpg

The requirement of an observation light added.

obervation+window.jpg

Ready for a hanging

ready+for+hanging.jpg

Thanks for the comments chaps, the sanding has been very difficult and taken longer than usual. I dont know if its the hot weather drawing out the resin or the timber I bought having a high resin content but I ended up making my own sanding pads.

I know how to build a gate, but I don't have a clue how to get a neighbour to repair their fence...maybe you could elaborate on that bit!

My next door neighbor does nothing to his property but titivates around doing useless jobs looking busy.

I started in putting my post alongside his but did not inform him what my intentions were. I would retreat and wait and when he thought I was nowhere about he would come out and inspect what I was doing. I do not recommend not consulting with your neighbor but in this case I know my man. I then came out and embarrassed him in showing how rotten his fence was and that the centre post was also rotten and not even into the ground. I stressed the dangers to his young children. Also when he does require something doing he always knows someone and who he knows always gives him a cheap job. He insisted that his post was into the ground because his Dad put it in and he told him he had done a good job and it had been concreted in. So, while he was present I dismantled his fence, pulled back the pavings on my side (which I had to take up anyway) and demonsrated the rubbish condition of the fence and a rotten post sitting on the earth and stepped back. I said you cant leave the fence like this pointing to a pile of rubbish in his garden. By the way, I said I know a guy who will do you a quick cheap job and could do it now, I know he is between jobs and because he knows I used to work for the council will do a good job, OK get him he said. Right I will I said and the rest his history. If you don't tell him and I wont, it was a bit of a set up. Incidently the work I had done on a post on my side was wasted but I did manage to re-use it somewhere else. I know have a decent shared post which he paid for.

Excellent! Its horrible having to play games with the neighbours but often necessary with bad ones, unfortunately I have passed the point of no return with one of mine. I have a large tree that needs sorting and I'm holding off because I know its pissing him off - its a fine line though as the tree is borderline hazardous.

The gate is a fine piece of work, if you saw the two I have made for the front garden you would laugh your face off.

Best of luck with the neighbour.

Hi No skills,
I am sure your gates are fine and I bet the second gate is probably better than the first. I like making gates. A gate was the first job the boss gave me to carry out when I was sixteen. Every time I passed it it gave me a kick of satisfaction. Dissapointed when I saw it deteriate and dissapear to be replaced.

As a surveyor I had to deal with a lot of boundary disputes particularly after the right to buy legislation. There is a few myths regarding fences and as a result a lot of rich lawyers. Most of the laws date back to the retaining and protection of animals (termed beasts) If you own the land you can basically do what you like in reason as long as do not encroach over this line of no thickness. A fence basically belongs to the person who paid for it. The fence should always face out wards, but a lot do not particularly in right to buy cases. In other words your neighbour gets the good face. You can build one fence up against another. The invisable line of no thickness is the exact middle of the two properties therefore its worth checking and if across this line or central it is probably a joint boundary and should be discussed and arrangements made, therfore check its position if over and on your line send a solicitors letter. If on the line (the face) start building another fence as I did it will start a reaction.

With regard to the tree there could or probably is a presevation order on it check it out but if the tree is on his land and over hangs your land water him off a bit more by cutting tem off on your boundary line and present him with the timber and brush wood. Solicitors love neighbor disputes so try to be be the reasonable guy. Best of luck.

adzeman":x51lno4i said:
If you don't tell him and I wont, it was a bit of a set up. Incidently the work I had done on a post on my side was wasted but I did manage to re-use it somewhere else. I know have a decent shared post which he paid for.

It has all become clear. My cousin, who I now know is your neighbour, has been telling me about somebody next door to him who has been building a very fancy gate.
Send me a tenner now or I'll have to tell him. :lol:

A superb job, by the way.

It looks excellent Mike, but..... and I hate to have to say this.... it falls well short on the Security front. If you find broken glass shards on the top unsightly, I would at least have expected razor wire across the top. Any self-respecting thief will scale that in no time, unless you beef up the security aspects.

Back