My New Router

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hello fecn,
Approximate spindle speed (rpm) is given by :

rpm = ( CS . 4) divided by cutter diameter in inches

where CS is cutting speed in feet per minute for any particular material (there are charts for this).

For example : cutting speed for hard wood and soft wood is 1097 feet per minute (the speed at which the periphery of the cutter moves past the work or vice versa). Say the cutter is 1/2 inch diameter . Using the above calculation we work out the RPM :

rpm = (1097 . 4) divided by 0.5

rpm = 4388 divided by 0.5 = 8776 rpm

other materials have other cutting speeds.

hope this helps , regards Catface.

ps. the charts for cutting speeds for different materials dont usually differentiate between the types of cutter being used, ie. same calculation for drill bit, saw blade, 2 flute end mill or 4 flute end mill. Therefore you could use the speeds recommended for a router bit made of the same material (assumed High Speed Steel) as the cutter you want to use. Look up the recommended speed (rpm) for a high speed steel router bit of same diameter as the endmill you want to use, & try that for starters !

Thanks for that catface :)

I got to spend all day in the shed today, and thought I should finish off the box for dw - I rather like the dw box and decided that I should probably build a similar box for myself whilst I was doing the box-making process.

About a week ago, I got a Trend 1/4" shank 3.2mm carbide bit, and today I got to try it out - I changed the joint spacing in coreldraw and then let the machine do it's noisy dusty thing. I must get a quieter router on there - I'm half tempted to put the Triton on there. - The carbide bit was a huge improvement.
27102007234.jpg

Test fitting... Straight off the machine, no cleanup.
27102007235.jpg

Using the machine with a quick bit of manual programming, I routed a 6.35mm groove into which a bit of plywood can slot in, and cut some ply on the table saw. dw - your box has a base now.
27102007237.jpg

I turned my attention to the lids next, and decided that they'd look best with a solid bit of wood. I like the look of the chunky lid for the new bigger box, but it's too thick for the little box.
27102007238.jpg

I was planning on leaving the lid thick, but due to a series of minor cockups, I ended up using the machine to thickness it down to about 12mm, and then to cut a rebate around the edges so that the lid stays in place.
27102007242.jpg

I stuck some glue on the pins and tails, and clamped things together - I reckon I've done enough for today. With any luck I'll get them both polished off tomorrow before Mrs Fecn returns.

Fecn":1lhp5mx4 said:
..... With any luck I'll get them both polished off tomorrow before Mrs Fecn returns.

First put your dirty dishes in the dishwasher (instead of on top of it), put a load of washing on, and run the hoover round. This is enough effort it look like your care, but not too much that it looks like you've bought something :roll: .

Rich

Fecn,
Great stuff.

I hope this is not the end of the thread as I have enjoyed watching the progress immensely (even if the technology is way over my head).

Andy

Fecn,

I am lost for words of appreciation that you accepted my offer of a swap of boxes being constructed by us.

I totally acknowledge that you must have put in greater time and effort on the project.

I can assure you that your gift will have a very special position in our home and also we will have the memories of a very pleasant forum comradeship that has come about.

special bone":3pt2upow said:
First put your dirty dishes in the dishwasher (instead of on top of it), put a load of washing on, and run the hoover round. This is enough effort it look like your care, but not too much that it looks like you've bought something :roll: .

Thanks Rich - I would actually have forgotten about that lot without your reminder - I made it the first thing I did this morning before I headed for the shed.

dedee":3pt2upow said:
I hope this is not the end of the thread as I have enjoyed watching the progress immensely (even if the technology is way over my head).
Mrs Fecn has asked me to make a kids desk+chair set for the little one, and for that, I need to build myself a new router table for the Triton - it may be a few weekends before I get back to the CNC machine.
I've a few things left to do on the CNC machine yet so this thread's not over yet.. Dust extraction is a top priority. I'd also like to add compressed air blast to clear chips from around the cutter.... and a worklight... and try some propper 3D carving with the Vectric software. When I was cutting the rebates in the lids, I discovered that I haven't managed to get the bed as flat as I was hoping either, so I'll have to have another go at shimming that. I plan on posting new projects which aren't about the construction/exploration of the CNC machine in threads of their own.

devonwoody":3pt2upow said:
I am lost for words of appreciation that you accepted my offer of a swap of boxes being constructed by us.

I totally acknowledge that you must have put in greater time and effort on the project.

I can assure you that your gift will have a very special position in our home and also we will have the memories of a very pleasant forum comradeship that has come about.

Stop it.. You'll make me blush :oops: I had to learn how to use the machine and the software one way or another, and it was more fun making a box for you than a pile of offcuts for November 5th. I won't deny that it took a lot of effort to learn all the software which I used to get your box made, but I needed to learn the software somehow, and as a result, it took practically no effort to do my own second box yesterday. Now i know what I'm doing, I reckon I could manage about 4 identical boxes a day.

Here's the lid for your box on the machine - 3mm rebate around the edges, and then I removed the material in the middle to a depth of 15mm - It's what I was planning to do on my own box, but I cocked it up when I tried it yesterday..
28102007246.jpg

Everything sanded to 220grit, and first coat of danish oil applied. Currently drying out in the garage - I'll do a second coat this evening.
28102007251.jpg

Amazing stuff - well done! Thank you ever so much for showing us the progress you've made with this router. I can't wait to see how you put it to work in future.

Gill

Hi Fenc,

Great Project, I really like those dovetails.

The problem is that you will soon want to build a bigger one.....When you have some time have a look at Vcarve Pro by www.vectric.com , they do some great software which you can download and tryout.

Regards

CNC Paul

Fecn,
Can't wait to see the video of how your machine applied the danish oil.:wink:

And after that perhaps you could show us how it makes the tea at the end of the day as well. :lol:

All joking aside, thanks for sharing

Andy

Fech,

Thank you for having such an interesting and informative thread, I especially like your discussion of what you are doing, lots of detail.
That is a real good idea to incorrapt a clamping vise into your CNC. this is a very practical addition. :D

Keep up the good work.

Mr.Chips":2mkbr3sb said:
How do I subscribe to this topic/Thread? did not see a subscribe button.
Thanks
:D

Just send the cheque to motownmartin at.................................. :lol: :lol: :lol: you don't have to subscribe, all you have to do is what you already have done and join the group.

Welcome Mr.Chips

motownmartin":9q4fxddy said:
Mr.Chips":9q4fxddy said:
How do I subscribe to this topic/Thread? did not see a subscribe button.
Thanks

Just send the cheque to motownmartin at.................................. :lol: :lol: :lol: you don't have to subscribe, all you have to do is what you already have done and join the group.

Welcome Mr.Chips

In the CNCZone I can subscribe to a thread and I will get an email notification if there are any additions to that thread. Is that possible here?
Thanks

Mr.Chips":ar31hdu8 said:
In the CNCZone I can subscribe to a thread and I will get an email notification if there are any additions to that thread. Is that possible here?
Thanks

Go to your profile and select 'Yes' for 'Always notify me of replies'. You will get an email when someone replies to a thread you have posted in, although your inbox might get a bit full this way. I don't think you can subscribe to individual threads.

CNC Paul":1ym0c2g9 said:
The problem is that you will soon want to build a bigger one.....When you have some time have a look at Vcarve Pro by www.vectric.com , they do some great software which you can download and tryout.
I downloaded the trials for the 3 different Vectric packages - I'm looking forward to trying them out - Might get the chance tomorrow.

dedee":1ym0c2g9 said:
Fecn,
And after that perhaps you could show us how it makes the tea at the end of the day as well. :lol:
Hrm.. a tempting modification if it wasn't for all the sawdust.

Mr. Chips":1ym0c2g9 said:
Thank you for having such an interesting and informative thread, I especially like your discussion of what you are doing, lots of detail.
That is a real good idea to incorrapt a clamping vise into your CNC. this is a very practical addition. Very Happy
Hi Mr. Chips and welcome to the forum. Thanks for taking the time to come over and join. I'm surprised that I haven't seen more end-vice equipped machines - It seemed like a simple and obvious addition when I started trying to work out how to do dovetails properly.

I've just finished doing the finishing on the two boxes - Three coats of danish oil rubbed down with 000 wirewool between coats, and then two coats of finishing wax with 00000 wirewool between coats, and the final layer polished with a soft cloth.

PA310121.JPG

PA310125.JPG

PB010129.JPG

PB010132.JPG

Together for the last time... I'm going to package up the small one and send it to DW now.
PB010133.JPG

Lucky ole me.

Thanks Fecn. Your box is also ready for a wax finish and will be posted to your home address.

Will Post a new thread with photograph of my exchange but I am a bit embarrassed that it does not technically come up to the posting on this thread.

That is brilliant Fecn. I love the teardrop dovetails. You should be very pleased with yourself. =D>

Slimjim81":2ttbpii2 said:
Mr.Chips":2ttbpii2 said:
Thanks

Go to your profile and select 'Yes' for 'Always notify me of replies'. You will get an email when someone replies to a thread you have posted in, although your inbox might get a bit full this way. I don't think you can subscribe to individual threads.

There is a way. Go to the end of the thread and click on 'watch this thread'

hth
Bob

9fingers":1yuablxg said:
There is a way. Go to the end of the thread and click on 'watch this thread'

hth
Bob

Oh yeah, I never saw that. Cheers Bob. :D

Latest posts

Back