My New Router

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW!......JUST WOW! I am stumped for words, that is incredible! :shock: I would have no idea with the electrics but may be able to assemble the table part. Brilliant. :D

mailee":31ohswyt said:
I would have no idea with the electrics but may be able to assemble the table part

The electrics weren't too tricky at all - I'd rate it as about the same complexity as wiring up a fusebox.

I added a sacrificial surface to the X bed yesterday and shimmed it mostly flat using half-A4 sheets of paper. I set height of the Z axis so it just touched the table, and then went round and round in square-spirals, adding and removing sheets until the cut seemed the same depth across the whole surface.
30092007167.jpg

Today, I've managed to make giant leaps forward with the software I'm using. I searched the web for 'free vector clipart' which is drawn using lines rather than pixels - There seemed to be plenty of it, so I clicked the first link I found and downloaded this chap...
Animal_ss_bw_004.gif

I loaded the file into CorelDraw 11 (it was a WMF file), and scaled it to the size I wanted and then saved it as an AutoCAD .DXF file. Then I loaded the DXF file into Mach2-CNC and converted it into a .tap G-Code file (G-Code is a bunch of lines that tell the machine how to move), and finally, I clamped a bit of scrap 6mm Ply to the machine, fitted it with a very pointy carbide burr and let it whir away for about 20 mins.

01102007172.jpg

The cat is about 100mm high from toes to tail. I did the cut in 3 passes, the first at 0.25mm depth (because I'd never tried the carbide burr before), and then at 0.5mm and finally at 1mm because I was getting fed up with waiting. The detail on the toes for the front and back legs was a bit too fine and the top layer of ply fell away with the final cut.

Although the result isn't anything too impressive, I'm rather pleased with my progress in the software.

Fecn":34cr5o6d said:
Although the result isn't anything too impressive
You're kidding aren't you - it's bloody amazing.

Fecn":34cr5o6d said:
I'm rather pleased with my progress in the software.
Understatement of the year

This whole project is just oustanding.

Well done that man!

Cheers
Mike

An unexpected mini-project for this evening. Having seen the cat, a friend asked me if I could make a rubber stamp based on a celtic knot from his wedding invations.
OurWeddingInvitation2.jpg

I used the photoshop 'stamp' filter - It seems to be exactly designed for making rubber stamp patterns - Handy.
CelticKnot.jpg

I clamped an old eraser to the table. Because this was bitmap rather than line art, the machine whirs away for a long time working it's way back and forth like a printer.
01102007174.jpg

Two passes at 1mm each, and the job's done.
01102007176.jpg

Gill":1rgdnlxf said:
More videos, please!

Of course - Nearly forgot. Here's another little 50 second one (4MB)

I can tell you've been scrolling lately, getting your fingers so close to the cutting edge while the machine's in operation :lol: .

Seriously, it's a very impressive machine and does you credit. I'm very envious of you, both because you've got one and you understand how it works. I reckon I'll have to wait for something like the CarveWright to become available in this country. Even then I'll have to mug my bank manager :) .

Gill

Fantastic work Fecn. Did you have a specific use in mind when making.. Or was it 'just because you can' ?

Gill":308tesdx said:
I can tell you've been scrolling lately, getting your fingers so close to the cutting edge while the machine's in operation :lol: .

The carbide burr I was using in that shot has about as much cutting action as a nail file. I wouldn't dream of doing that if I was using a real cutter. (The scrollsaw is the least scary power tool I have - it reminds me of a sewing machine)

WiZer":308tesdx said:
Did you have a specific use in mind when making.. Or was it 'just because you can' ?

I was thinking.. universal mortice jig... hole drilling jig... Tapering jig... panel cutter... (I need to get the big router mounted for those jobs, but I'm not doing that until I've wired in an emergency stop button.) Partly it was 'because you can' or at least 'because you think you might be able to'.
If I get the chance today, I might try a grid of holes later so I've got somewhere to store my cutters.

I did spend a while watching youtube vids when I was plotting this project... The first one is my favorite.

Really cool CNC Router - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sflJel9ye7Q
Ice Carving - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32EmwwKUdZQ
Cutting Cogs - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IIns3qbibc

edit: Just found a new vid on youtube today of someone else's homebuilt CNC - I am not worthy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlGu51uqNgQ

yes very awesome stuff. But that doesn't discount what you've done there mate. I couldn't dream of ever doing something like that. It's clear to see how handy it will be in the workshop. Of course it takes some of the 'craft' out of woodworking. But for mundane repeatable tasks... you're onto a winner there.

Love it

WiZeR":1bl2d256 said:
Of course it takes some of the 'craft' out of woodworking. But for mundane repeatable tasks... you're onto a winner there.

Yep... but it also opens up whole new techniques and styles which aren't a normal part of woodworking - I was pondering last night how to make star-shaped, or S-curved mortice and tennons. There's no reason why they have to be rectangular. Instead of straight lines, I could use wavy lines when tapering legs. I can also do all sorts of decoration and carvings on the stock which I'd never have attempted before. I'm not planning on using this thing for mass-production, so I'm not goverened by the same time/budget constraints as commercial CNC operators. It's pretty rare to see furniture that combines traditional and CNC techniques, but that's something I can now try.

For the mundane tasks, I will admit I very much liked the idea of clamping a table-leg to the bed and running the program for 'cut morices and make rebates and cut tapers'. Whenever I do that by hand, sooner or later I cut a mortice in the wrong place or taper the wrong edge.

WiZeR":31e735wm said:
But for mundane repeatable tasks... you're onto a winner there.

I can't argue with that. Just popped to the shed for my lunch hour(ish) and wrote my first very simple G-Code program.

90-sec Video clip here (8MB)

Results here...
02102007177.jpg

Oh.. and I added a plywood fence to the table and trimed flat/square using the machine itself whilst I was down there.

Hi Fecn,

I have tried the mach 3 software (not to produce anything yet) and have found it easier to make a drawing using QuicCAD and then importing it into the Mach 3, Mach 3 then automatically generates the G code for you.

A very interesting project, perhaps a cnc category is required on this forumn?

Fecn,

I use things called "structured carbide" burrs for some carvnf purposes. You can get them where they sell Dremel stuff. They are pricey - about £15 but they cut very well indeed.

herdaman":1t1ac778 said:
I have tried the mach 3 software (not to produce anything yet) and have found it easier to make a drawing using QuicCAD and then importing it into the Mach 3, Mach 3 then automatically generates the G code for you.

A very interesting project, perhaps a cnc category is required on this forumn?

I haven't come across QuickCAD so far. Because I get through so many computers, I tend to have copies of the more mainstream apps like CorelDraw bundled with one PC or another. More by luck than judgement I actually have legitimate copies of most mainstream PC software. I'm going to have to buy myself Mach2/3 though because the 1000 line g-code limit is becomming annoying fast.

I'd love to see a CNC category on the forums, and since I'm sure it would be low-traffic, I'd be happy to moderate it.

waterhead37":1t1ac778 said:
I use things called "structured carbide" burrs for some carvnf purposes. You can get them where they sell Dremel stuff. They are pricey - about £15 but they cut very well indeed.

Thanks for that wateread37 - I've been looking for places to buy appropriate tooling now that I've got the machine up and running. PureTC bits sure are expensive. Any recommendations on specifically which flavour bits to buy? I'm looking at something for bulk material removal (1/2" upcut spiral) and something for slicing-out (1/8th upcut spiral), and probably some downcut spirals for doing clean edges and finishing things off. The only proper carbide bits I have at the moment are designed for PCB work. It would be good to know which bits are the most useful so I can buy them first. Any good secondhand/resharpened places?

devonwoody":1t1ac778 said:
If I post you over the timber please knock me up 4 secret dovetails at each end. Ten minute job?

I'd be more than happy to. I've got a friend bringing round limit and emergency-stop switches this evening, and I'm hoping that by around Sunday, I'll be competent enough with the software to use my current mini-router to make an MDF support/holder for the big router, at which point I'll consider myself qualified enough to put a big router on there. As soon as I've done that, I'll be able to use my regular router bits which include dovetails. PM me and I'll let you know where to post the wood.. unless you want some nice Ipé/Tabebuia in which case I've got it in the garage and will happily send some to you.

Back