My new identity

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tisdai":vm2w5sji said:
For your webpage to get more hits with the search engines, add whatever details that you think will aid in the search engines to find details like, " woodworking,woodwork,Bespoke,Bespoke chair,table,Dining table,Turned bowl,spindles , and so on "

Add as many words that you can think off in the Meta in the html sheet somthing like this:-

<DOCTYPE>
<html>
<head>
<meta NAME woodworking,woodwork,Bespoke,Bespoke chair,table,Dining table,Turned bowl,spindles

Whoever is doing your webpage should already know this, but just incase.

CHeers

Dave

My other company is web design and SEO, and i say this as help not insult or criticism but this is how to get your site scored low by google and search engines.

SEO and meta data is a large subject but as a guide use key phrases not words. IE bespoke, custom, furniture, nottingham are just one words and getting your site scored high on one generic popular word is impossible. Think how many different trades out there use the word bespoke (and i don't just mean wood working trades). Key phrases are far better ie. "bespoke furniture nottingham, custom furniture nottingham".

Also having two words the same but one with a capital letter is pointless and also will get you scored down. ie bespoke, Bespoke. Always only list the one word/phrase and every letter should be in lowercase.

Less is also more! If you do not list the keyphrase/word in your body text you will also lose marks. To many keywords will get you lower marks as its less likely your going to have that phrase word in your body text. Stick to 10 max well thought out key phrases and make sure every one is in your body text somewhere. Also the more keywords you have the more text you need in your body to keep the keyword/text ratio down.

As a final note using key phrases (more then one word) get separated into individual words while being indexed by google or other search engines and analyzed by its relevance, so you get the pro's of using one word keywords and not of the destruction!

Hmmm changed since i was taught how to build theml,, mind you it was a few brainstorming years ago lol.

Also, none of the big search engines look at the keywords meta tag
Code:
<META NAME="KEYWORDS" CONTENT="your keywords,go here,separated by a comma,but not a space">
But the do look at the description metatag
Code:
<META NAME="DESCRIPTION" CONTENT="Your keyword rich marketing sales-pitch meta description goes here">

I must disagree with Belgian. The software i use to generate optimisation reports to help spot where the areas of SEO needs the most work is geared to advice where optimisation is required based on Googles criteria. These reports always state in the essentials section the meta keywords data and how to tweak them for a better ranking score.

Tisdai, things change quickly. It is now more important to have links to your site on social bookmarking sites and the nations school yard (facebook) then it is to have your site pass W3C validation. They even now take into account the age of your website, the younger your site the harder it is to get a good ranking score.

What did I do, or continue to do that continues to get listed on Google.

Is it just the uniqueness of; "Hobby Turner" or "Chas Jones"

Or is it down to consistent page titles, the many links that are buried withing the site, or the number of hits?

If it's uniqueness of page title then it needs some very creative thinking to come up with a title phrase that sorts any site out from the thousands that have woodworking roots in the names.

CHJ":d2gtpaah said:
What did I do, or continue to do that continues to get listed on Google.

Is it just the uniqueness of; "Hobby Turner" or "Chas Jones"

Or is it down to consistent page titles, the many links that are buried withing the site, or the number of hits?

If it's uniqueness of page title then it needs some very creative thinking to come up with a title phrase that sorts any site out from the thousands that have woodworking roots in the names.

Age of the forum, size of the site, amount of content, amount of hits. It all helps. Its a huge subject SEO with many different things to consider. It would be pointless for you to try and get this forum high ranking on one keyword/phrase as people tend to "stumble upon" forums by typing in problems into search engines. As your forum has a huge amount of content, your more likely to show up in results. There is something new everyday for spiders to index which is a great thing as search engines love sites with fast turn arounds.

But my site has no connection with the forum other than the web link in my forum profile and a back ink to this and other forums on one of the link pages.

A HUGE part of SEO is back links. 6yrs of linking from here to your own site. Plus hundreds if not thousands of clicks from here back to you. Google love that. The more activity one gets the more your ranking will improve.

Trying to stick a bunch of keywords in the meta tags, never works.

There's no silver bullets. you get high rankings from having good content and good activity.

CHJ":1lc7wutu said:
But my site has no connection with the forum other than the web link in my forum profile and a back ink to this and other forums on one of the link pages.

Sorry i had seen your name in a staff colour on here, then put 2 and 2 together and thought this forum was your site.

Like Wiser said, you must have some good link backs, the more links you have on relating websites that already have a high ranking already will improve your score, if your website is of some age, this will go in your favor too.

I couldn't really tell you anymore as i have never seen your website nor do i know its background. To tell you why its doing well i would have to analyze your website and online history.

Hudson Carpentry":20cyvv3i said:
I couldn't really tell you anymore as i have never seen your website nor do i know its background. To tell you why its doing well i would have to analyze your website and online history.

It's because it's full of useful information that Chas has compiled over several years and has linked back to many times to help his fellow woodworker.

It's in his signature. 'Bits & Pieces' and the WWW button

Hudson Carpentry":3sdhnwpg said:
I must disagree with Belgian. The software i use to generate optimisation reports to help spot where the areas of SEO needs the most work is geared to advice where optimisation is required based on Googles criteria. These reports always state in the essentials section the meta keywords data and how to tweak them for a better ranking score.

Firstly: straight from the horse's mouth
http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2009/09/google-does-not-use-keywords-meta-tag.html

Secondly: Google does not publish a set of criteria. Google changes their search algorithm on average at least once a day so unless your software publishers have some serious inside info there is no way that your tools will keep up.

So here's my advice to the original poster: don't waste your time on SEO. Use your time to improve the content of your site. Without good content it's impossible to do any (SE)Optimization. And don't worry about rankings. The only two things a #1 ranking will do is make your ego bigger and your wallet lighter.

I'd have to disagree.
A #1 ranking can bring a heck of a lot of traffic - compared to even a #2 or #3.
Content and SEO go hand in hand. You won't get the best out of your website if you don't have both together - depending on what keywords you want/need to rank for.

As far as keywords go, it's best to remember they're really keyphrases rather than single words.

Whilst Google supposedly pay no heed to meta tags, some of the other search engines certainly do - so using them doesn't do any harm.

jlawrence":1rsre1hj said:
I'd have to disagree.
A #1 ranking can bring a heck of a lot of traffic - compared to even a #2 or #3.

If you are in business and you achieve #1 in your field (for the most popular keyword search), you are a millionaire. FACT

I agree with everything you said Jon.

SEO is such a cryptic and mysterious subject. Which is why people are earning a living handing out 'advice' about SEO. When, really, no one knows for sure. There's no rhyme or reason. Apart from the algorithm(s), you also have PPC and Google's own intervention on subjects they find compelling (or financially sensible). Not to mention that every single user's search results differ based on where they are located and what they've searched for previously.

Build a good site. Fill it with good content and be the best you can be in your field. Forget about SEO.

Unfortunately traffic means nothing! Naturally you will get more traffic from a #1 ranking but the traffic you are getting is lower in quality than #2, #3, ...

In Dragon's Den lingo: "turnover is vanity, profit is sanity"

The money and effort spent on achieving #1 is not worth it.

Install an analytics tool like Google Analytics to better understand the traffic you're getting. If you do decide to do some SEO, it'll give you a better view of your traffic and the impact of your actions.

Indeed, but if you don't spend (much) money getting to #1, then generally that would suggest your traffic is quality. Also you need traffic to convert your funnel. So the more in, the more conversions.

Latest posts

Back