My heating just came on.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeG.

Established Member
Reaction score
I can't find the old thread in which we discussed the date of heating first coming on, so I'll start a new one.

My heating has just come on for the first time since March. The house has hovered around the magic temperature for the last week or two, and just dropped into the 19 point somethings to bring it on. For those unfamiliar with the original thread, this otherwise staggeringly dull piece of information is all about a conversation re low energy housing.

Mike

:D I think we've had ours on since August :lol:

At the moment daughter and I are huddled together in bed fully clothed :shock: :lol:

PS: Can we change his title to "Smug Goit" Can the mods discuss this and get back to us with an answer? :lol:

Mike Garnham":2jkun3bo said:
I can't find the old thread in which we discussed the date of heating first coming on, so I'll start a new one.

My heating has just come on for the first time since March. The house has hovered around the magic temperature for the last week or two, and just dropped into the 19 point somethings to bring it on. For those unfamiliar with the original thread, this otherwise staggeringly dull piece of information is all about a conversation re low energy housing.

Mike

so put another jumper on and turn the stat down - or just go in the 'shop and plane the rubbish out of something

the key to energy efficiency is to use less !

Greatly reduced the heat requirements of one room, just lined the external walls internally with ecotherm ( kingspan) and same with the ceiling,( 50mm) its a cold type flat roof with no room above for an insulated deck and no access to insulate the void. so internal lined. Walls are solid 9" brick
The difference is immediate and very noticeable.1/2 hour with rads on No2 and fully warm, takes over an hour for temp to drop when they are switched off.

wizer":jrp38270 said:
At the moment daughter and I are huddled together in bed fully clothed :shock: :lol:

:shock: :shock: Jeez, what on earth are you going to do when it gets cold ?

die

To be fair, we're both getting over a cold and desperately trying to flush it out asap.

probably as bored as you was to type that John ? :wink:

Hi,

Well ours is off at the moment it has been on, but its nearly balmy (for november) so its off, does that mean I win?

Pete

Ours is up high (19.5) cos we have a "new arrival" (10 days old) in the house - normally it's borderline cool to the point where visitors don't stay long. Yesterday I was laying a carpet in the study and had to strip off to the waist - not a good sight...

Are temperature settings age related? Ours is set at 21.5. Ages 70 & 68.
My kids call it Old Peoples Home settings. No respect at all. :(
Jim

Ours is set to 19.5 and has briefly come on in the evening for the last couple of weeks. Currently we seem to use more gas for hot water than heating, I'm pleased to say!

Roy.

*shakes head in bewilderment*

If ours is on it starts at 22 and goes up to 23 at night. Today it was particularly cold and we had it up at 24.

So is this the least energy efficient house in the world??

wizer":6wnnekt1 said:
*shakes head in bewilderment*

If ours is on it starts at 22 and goes up to 23 at night. Today it was particularly cold and we had it up at 24.

So is this the least energy efficient house in the world??

Now I'm confused. Why is an indoor temperature of 22 OK on a mild day, but not warm enough when it's colder outside? Apparently those that have air conditioning set the temperature lower when it's hot outside than the temperature they warm the house up to in the winter. Crazy!

Our heating comes on at 6pm and the stat is set to 18 until about 8pm and then turned up to 20 for the evening. As we go to bed we turn the stat down to 18 again for the morning, and turn off the rads in the lounge as that will not get used in the morning - and then close the doors. Upstairs is on a different circuit and is set to 18 degrees and comes on at 10.30pm. Recently this has meant that it hasn't come on at all.

This strategy keeps our fuel bills very modest.

Digit":8bqfxifu said:
Do you do all that manually?

Roy.

A mixture. When we had our new boiler fitted, the plumber split our system so that upstairs and downstairs are on completely different circuits, controlled by their own thermostats and timer. That way we can have them on at different times and at different temperatures.

We have the downstairs timer set to 6pm. If we feel cold before then, we hit the "advance" button which starts the heating immediately but it still goes off at the next "off" time. The thermostat gets turned up manually if needed when we "settle" later in the evening - not a hardship! And, yes, I do turn off the rads in the lounge manually at the rad stats before going to bed - again not a hardship. I guess this part could be automated, but at a price. You can also get programmable thermostats that set different temperatures at different times, but they are a nightmare to programme. We're quite happy to just turn the stat up and down when needed.

Back