My Garage, aheemmmm Workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riclepp

Established Member
Reaction score
I thought I would share my workshop, seeing there have been many posts of some very nice workshops that members have. Unfortuantly I did not have thousands to spend.. I statred in a shed that I built and as usual I very soon outgrew it by a lot. So over the past 6 - 8 months I have been converting my single garage to a fully functioning workshop.

One of the first things I did was to get rid of all my weights and fight training equipment. Trailer and other rubbish which had not been used in a while. What could be sold was and the cash put to the conversion project.. First order of the day was to paint the floors and walls. The walls are now white and the floor is grey (Factory floor grey). Once this was done, it was time to get it completly rewired and certificate (part P). So now instead of just one double socket I have 12 doubles and 3 singles, lighting is a vast improvement so rather than standard single tube I now have 6 double 5ft tubes, so very bright now.

I then went on to seal off the up and over door with 50mm celotec panels and a triple skin breathable membrain. This week end I then attached 2 8x4 MDF sheets cut to fit and is now a vast improvment in noise reduction. The ceiling was insulated, again with ceotex laid on the tops of the reafters and sealed with ali tape.

Attached to the reafters are two air filters (Axminsters 500 and a Microclean). I have added a small wall heater near the entrance door and a air curtain above the window (also blows cold air).

So once this was all completed it was time to move from the shed to the workshop, now I now have pleanty of room (?????). So in went the two kitchen cupboards and worktops, TS2000, Startrite 301 bandsaw, Axminster Planer/thicknesse, Chip extractor, Sojberg work bench. I have my RAS in there, but just need to make the stand?cupboard for it.

All in all cosy and nice to work in. I am sure things will get moved around in time, but it works at the moment.

Since taking these photos I have got rid of some things and the MDF in up on the up and over doors and I have put up me besseys and other rule and stuff.

That's a nice looking shop you have there Richard. Good idea to paint it all white first too as this helps with the lighting. I know exactly what you mean about running out of space, there is never enough no matter how big your shop is you will still fill it. :lol:

Hi Richard
That looks like a nice workspace. I also think the white walls are a great idea especially with the abundance of lighting.
I was very happy in my single garage for several years and I wish you the same.
I also am very interested to see a piture or two of the garge door solution for noise reduction and heat loss minimising as I have recently moved workshop to a double garage with an awful up and over door.
Thanks
Howie

Hi Howie

Many thanks for that, All i did was put a frame ontop of the instalation frame and put noggins in and then filled each space with celotex and then on top of that I stapled the membrane ontop and the cut the mdf to size to fit, even though the opening is out of true!!! and them sealed the small gaps with ali tape..

Melinda DD

I bought all the fixtures, fittings and installed them. The sparky wired it all up and tested, certificated it. He also fed the garage from the house via an external cateneray wire and through the wall of the garage (now sealed) into an 8 way consumer unit. He did put a large breaker on the house consumer unit just for the garage. He charged me a total of 380 (cash)

HTH

Did it really take a qualified electrician a couple of days to the job? I would have thought it would be about £200 all in. I hate any trade that can charge a premium because we are legally obliged to use them. I reckon there is a niche in the market for someone who is willing to just test and inspect what other people have done for a reasonable fee (ie an MOT costs £50 and that is for a complex piece of machinery which I am allowed to fix myself, so why not £40 for a not complex piece of wiring). Plug in testers, no faults, job looks competent. Job done.

Otherwise we have folks (myself included) using "extension leads", which are legal but VERY unsafe.

Grump over.

(Helped my dad rewire our house aged 10 before all this nonsense came in).

As long as you abide by the 17th ed methods and so forth you can happily do the work yourself. It's only the certificate and any wiring onto the mains you need to worry about paying a spark for. I can't recall the exact wording to hand but either the onsite guide or just 17th ed says work "should be carried out in professional manner by an individual both competent and knowledgeable in the current work & safety practices"

This is why you get such a wide variation on prices and work standards, you get good and bad sparks. Then you get the good sparks who just haven't a clue which book they should follow anymore because most of the book writers lost the plot long ago. Then you get good sparks who play it safe and update everything each time and carry a library to work each day.

I found life far easier to just get a copy of the 17th ed and the onsite guide, apply some basic common sense to both then do the work myself. If it is a large job or involves any mains work I call in the spark to do the very final connections, if they have to lift more than a couple of screwdrivers & a test kit it just means extra charges you could of done yourself.

Riclepp, I liked looking at the photographs of your garage/workshop, I am fortunate in having a double garage but not the energy to do a makeover. SILs live to far away and all busy.
Very envious of your set up and wish you many happy and safe hours of woodworking.

Thanks DW

Busy in there already got 5 things on the go already with a few others lined up :shock: :shock:

Hi Rich H

I am not a competent person when it comes to electrics. I have had an electric shock when I was lot younger and was thrown across a room, so don't want to experience that again, thank yo very much :oops: :oops: In regards to the 17th edition, is it not now the 18th edition sparkys need to use????. To be honest I did all the donkey work and the sparky wired it up and Part P certificated it. I am happy with that, may be a bit more than others would have paid, but needs must and all that :D :D

Cheers

There is due to be another (possibly final) amendment for the 17th later this year. The 18th will be out likely 2014 unless they decide the 17th needs amendment number 27849634. Been zapped myself a couple of times so can understand your apprehension yet I still always feel safer around electrics than any other possible trade danger. electric is always nice to you and gives you instant answers, it never partially works to lull you into false hope.

rich.h":2kqww8zx said:
There is due to be another (possibly final) amendment for the 17th later this year. The 18th will be out likely 2014 unless they decide the 17th needs amendment number 27849634. Been zapped myself a couple of times so can understand your apprehension yet I still always feel safer around electrics than any other possible trade danger. electric is always nice to you and gives you instant answers, it never partially works to lull you into false hope.

I agree on this one, hurst too (well sometimes).

Peter Sefton":3idnx0d3 said:
Hi Richard the workshop looks great, I don’t play with electrics either there’s enough woodworking things to keep me busy.
It’s good to see our tools have gone to a good home :D

Cheers peter

Thanks Peter.

Looking forward to the 13th July :D :D

Hi Richard
Look forward to seeing you at the workshop again, should be a good show a few regulars demonstrating with us such as Bob the polisher, Antony Bailey from Woodworking plans and projects, Paul Hodgson our green woodworking chair maker and Richard Maguire with his benches. Hammer Felder should be with us and I will get a second chance to play with the new spiral cutter block as well as playing with my hand tools. Plus a few more, I think Rob Stoakley will be here with Derek Editor from F&C.
Cheers Peter

Back