My Future Workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HRRLutherie

Established Member
Reaction score
After three long years of negotiations, my parents have granted me this storage shed to become my workshop: http://imgur.com/a/NwuMw

It measures about 8' by 2.5' (2.4m by 0.8m) and the door opening is about 5ft (150cm). I've found the perfect workbench for it, and, with some lighting (and a hefty clean up!), it could be a nice little workspace.

It's to the side of the house, and I intend to drape a tarpaulin over the top so that it could potentially be used when it's raining (no space to fit inside!). It may need some waterproofing and insulation, though.

It won't accommodate much big machinery, but it's enough to get started - something I've been trying to do for the past three years!

Credit to Alex Harris for inspiration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfNVJM32itI

Any information/advice on keeping tools safe and dry would be greatly appreciated.

Also, how would I go about waterproofing and moisture proofing the place. Would I need to insulate it? Could wood be stored in it without fear of warping?

Extra informarion: One of the hinges on the doors is broken (wood around the fittings may have rotted away, though.) And it may or may not be infested by wood lice. I'll have to get back to you on that one.

Sorry about the poor pics and lack of information - the survey was done in darkness. I'll try and get more information and pics in the coming days.

Good luck with that

two top tips:

1 - keep it tidy

2 - make your parents something nice so they know you're not wasting the space

ok three top tips:

3 - you might need to sneak your tools inside to stop them rusting or smother them with wax and keep them in a water proof box in winter

cheers

I was thinking of keeping hand tools inside, and power tools in the shed, so as not to drag dust into the house. How would they do in a cold, damp environment?

And how would an all wooden workbench handle the harsh environment? Would it warp?

Also, would it be worth my while to insulate/waterproof the shed. If so, how would I go about it? Wickes insulation sheets and plastic everywhere?

Thanks for the advice, and sorry about all the questions!

Personally, I'd knock it down and rebuild it properly, but................. when you've got ambition but few resources, you have to make do with what's available.

If you don't waterproof it first then you're wasting your time and money putting anything in there at all. Can't mix water with tools, machinery, electrics and timber.
I know you're itching to start producing / practicing but for heavens sake get the structure right first and not the cart before the horse or you'll give up very quickly.

Good luck with it - hope you succeed in making a useable work space

Bob

I don't think that it's strictly not waterproof, I just imagine that it's pretty damp.

One day, I'd like to have a big 12 x 10 shed in the garden, with heating and electricity outlets (Ill be sing extension cords). But I don't see that happening for a while.

On a positive note, some of it is brick, which is good. The paint tins are not rusty, so it might be dry-ish. What about the old school group photos? They will be a good indicator of any dampness or mustiness. And if you are up for it, we could play a game of 'spot the woodworker when young!'

I think that when you can take some exterior shots to show the construction of the front wall and the roof, there will be plenty more advice forthcoming.

At that width, which is the width of any useful work bench, all I can see it worthwhile for is just for storage. Instead of putting a tarp on the outside, could you put up a car port type shed against the wall. Clear plastic top, plywood sides. Should be cheap to put up and you shouldn't need planning permision.

Could you please give me an example? The wall is only about a metre and a half from the side of the house, so it looks unlikely.

If the shed is still structurally sound and not likely to collapse then your cheapest option is to staple a large sheet of plastic over it, covering the corners and as much of the sides as possible. Clean it out, put in a cheap louvre vent and rig up extraction ducting with some PC fans running inline.

The other option, and that is if your parents allow it...tear the shed down and build a lean too, a few pieces of 2x3 and some clear plastic sheet and you will have more light and more space.

After a solid 2 hours of tidying, the shed is almost empty: http://imgur.com/a/bgmAc

Now, we just need to:

• Put the remaining equipment in a storage chest
• Buy said storage chest
• Sand the floors
• Paint the wall
• Fix hinges
• Add workbench
• Seal the gap between the doors
• Finish any other waterproofing

Does anybody have any ideas as to how I can seal the doors? I assume that fixing the hinges will help.

Add a piece of timber to the outside of one of the doors, make it so it overlaps the other door. If the gap between the two doors is fairly even have a look see if you can fit some sort of draftproofing seal down one of the edges.

HTH

Back