My First Shed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheTiddles

Established Member
Reaction score
I said I'd put up my neighbors shed, once she'd got one, to save her the hassle, seing as she tried to bang a washing line in with a wooden spoon and a whitworth spanner it was probably best for her and the shed.

Problem was she couldn't find anything that was any good, 6'x4' are plentiful but if you want anything smaller they're the same naff quality and often a lot more expensive. So the design brief was not too expensive and nothing "that resembled a public toilet". Rest assured, I have never made one of those.

For one week only, this commission is bought to you in conjunction with... workshop dog!
4672245267_655e1b4a90_b.jpg

So, in the usual way we start with getting some wood. I calculated it out and added a bit of slack, with the exception of the shiplap, no reason, I just wanted to leave a mistake in to compensate for later. Chandler's Ford Timber delivered free withing 24 hours and undercut everyone else by about £40 on a job costing about £200, which is quite a bit, I shall be using them again and they're open on Saturday mornings too.

Here it is all piled up
4672245625_1c9d965fc5_b.jpg

Some treated, most plain and two sheets of OSB, first time I've used the stuff. I should mention the largest outside building I've ever built is a rabbit hutch, but the principle's the same...
4672872472_0f4bb18826_b.jpg

Interestingly, the 2"x2" was ripped down CLS, at first that put me off however having three planed sides and two eased corners meant that with a little careful planning I could leave a nice smooth surface on the inside

As the treatment needed doing first I went and had a coffee and left the creative director to do the messy bit
4672246035_d738274d24_b.jpg

After a few hours, both she and workshop dog succumbed to the fumes and I had to finish them off
4672873228_bfec22a433_b.jpg

All the construction is lap joints which I cut roughly on the table saw then bashed out the loose bits with a hammer and chisel. Any fine tuning is done with a rabbet block plane
4672873758_81e14e188b_b.jpg

Usefully, the wall the shed is against is my garage wall so I don't have to work too far from the site. Here's the back panel done.
4672247729_f5d1684013_b.jpg

It took about a total of one day to make the three main panels and treat them and the floor, it takes a bit longer when you have to keep retrieving the workpieces
4672874992_514aa31f50_b.jpg

Something I skilfully managed to do was not realise that 5" shiplap actually covers about 4" when you compensate for the overlap. Not a problem if you've allowed a cutting allowance, see earlier. No local suppliers had the exact same profile so it was off to Chandler's Ford with the dog navigating.

With more timber we finished off the panels for the front
4672875432_1b1d33c3e1_b.jpg

To make all the nails line up I made a simple jig with some stops and screws to make dimples where the nails needed to go, once pre-cut I could quickly assemble and nail them on.
4672876288_ff6d5e3e99_b.jpg

This is where it's going to go, you can see how small this is, the tricky bit is making it not look like a dog kennel so the size of the roof helps

Following the advice given here to make the panels first was key, the structure went up very quickly and easily, most satisfying.
4672876668_b171c54700_b.jpg

4672251007_6a75309460_b.jpg

This is as far as the flat assembly went.

The roof was initially easy, all it took was one engineer, one mathematician, several pieces of paper and a load of forgotten geometry to get this far
4672878814_4806a18d88_b.jpg

Now for the fun bit. It appears that the angles in gable roofs are not as obvious as first thought, this is attempt three
4672879254_046cedac5b_b.jpg

There are no pictures of attempts 1 and 2 as I was laughing so hard. Suffice to say it looked like some kind of modernist reverse gull-wing effect.

The roof was sat on some angle brackets so it could be lifted off and felted on a table. I hate roofing felt with a passion, it's messy, awkward and in my case takes several attempts to get it right
4672253619_a9ca3baff7_b.jpg

After about a total of 3 days work we are here, the door frame going in and the door was made by the end of the day
4672880596_d016de8b92_b.jpg

Then work came along and got in the way, so it took till today to finish it with some turning and yet more felt, in some places it's 4 layers thick. Still, the "client" is very happy with it so it's job done, total cost was about £220 as I had some of the felt already and the screws and hinges were already kicking around the garage.
4672880962_bd487593cb_b.jpg

Things I have learned from this...

Make everything flat, totally, the front of the building could have been made entirely with the door in it and that would have saved a lot of time.

Make the roof free-standing, it would have used a lot more wood but then I could have felted it and just lifted into place.

Looks good Aidan. Interesting design and she'll be asking you to build another one in a couple of weeks when she's filled it with junk ;)

TheTiddles":342v3ls6 said:
After a few hours, both she and workshop dog succumbed to the fumes and I had to finish them off
4672873228_bfec22a433_b.jpg
Jesus mate. There was no need to go to that extreme!!!
Hope the law doesn't get wind of this... :shock:

Adam.

A fantastic looking Shed in a great Design that I would never have thought of.

Just a pity about the Felt. (Yes I do know it's a pipper to get it looking neat)

Far too nice for a garden shed! :D I hope she treats it with the respect it deserves.

Very well done indeed.

Nice job! For the next one, you might want to look at felt shingles from Wickes or similar. They are strips of shingles that are a) easier to manage and b) look good because you can hide the nails under the next row. Might require a bit of jigging round the angles to prevent rain seepage in the gully though.

Steve

I new I had seen one like it before :?

4681638836_3d17746b06.jpg

Yours is a great shed (not certain about the roofing felt)

Nice neat work; unusual design. I like it.

Around here though you would have to fill it with heavy junk pretty quick, otherwise the local 'gentry', would have it away.

:cry:

John :)

Very nice shed, and loved the commentary on the build. Sorry about the dog though ;-) Reminds me of our old dog, who loved to steal each and every piece of firewood as it was being cut, and would then deposit it all over the garden...

Love the shed, perhaps some nice cedar shingles to cover the felt could have been an option

regards
Jim

Back