My first project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niki

Established Member
Reaction score
Good day

Some 10~11 years ago, my wife asked me if I can make a wooden tissue box instead of the plastic one we had.
"Of course I can".

I measured the dimensions of the plastic box and carefully made the cutting list.
The next day, I went to a local carpenter, gave him the list and he cut for me 7 pieces of plywood 6 mm.

Back home, I took the Super glue and carefully glued all the pieces. The hole was copied from the plastic box and a few layers of varnish finished the project.

I got the virus and even the best anti-virus programs could not cure it.

Since then, I made many boxes, small, big, with doors or with drawers but every time I see this tissue box on the coffee table, I remember how my wife pushed me into woodworking, God bless her.

niki

Tissue1.jpg

Tissue2.jpg

Niki

Thats a nice looking box.
Its always nice to have something to remind you of why you went in a certain direction.

Lucky you! Mine was our marriage bed. With no idea of what I was getting into, I bought some monstrous great lumps of pine (1 and 1/2" thick boards, and 4 by 4 legs...) and set to work with a hardpoint saw, a hammer, and a set of marples site chisels... :roll:

It took about 3 weeks, I didn't sharpen anything at any point, and had no idea of how to cope with the warping of the pine - so I cut the mortise in the upright for the headboard curved, to take the wind in the headboard.

Started me on the slope, because I bought one of the little Bosch mof routers to put a panel bead in the headboard. Still got the router, the bed finally went in favour of a metal job this year after 16 years. The bits have been re-cycled for our sons beds...

Don't know how I ever got it done, looking back.

Devonwoody
I was always good with super glue, my problem is the other glues.

Shady
I just put my leg to see whats the water temperature.
But you JAMPED into the cold water.

Fhil
Pictures of more project, yes, but "workshop" tour... well, just imagine a 5 x 5 m garage and the car have to go in every night, what I can have there.
Maybe Ill post pictures so you can see how the poor guys are working (and have to clean the floor everyday).

niki

Niki":qzooufv8 said:
Some 10~11 years ago, my wife asked me if I can make a wooden tissue box instead of the plastic one we had.
"Of course I can".
Since then, I made many boxes, small, big, with doors or with drawers but every time I see this tissue box on the coffee table, I remember how my wife pushed me into woodworking, God bless her.

Just to echo that sentiment! I'm in a similar situation, a few years ago my wife said 'you can make that, can't you?' so I figured out how and I've been making stuff ever since.

Not 100% sure if I should thank her for it :) but I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and so bless her also.

M

Latest posts

Back