My first pen

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daven

Established Member
Reaction score
Here it is
normal_EPSN0029%7E1.JPG

Any tips for pulling them apart? I managed to push the mechanism in too far on another pen! :oops:

Dave

Dave,
nice shape - i've not yet tried to go beyond the straight or naturally curved (to meet the various fittings).

As far as taking them apart I have had to to do this too often, and the twist mechanism is the hardest and often ends up broken.

I have had some success as follows.....

get a ring spanner (or metal with appropriate hole) so that it slides over the mechanism and rests on the lower wood. keep the refill in the mechanism, grip it in a metalworker vice (protect as much as possible). use another tool (e.g screwdriver) as a fulcrum on the end of the vice and lever the spanner - if you're lucky the mechanism will come out - it definitely will if you fully tighten the vice and sacrifice the mechanism to get the wood back.

If you assemble and discover the nib is to small /too big and you want to return to the lathe, use a 6mm drift, holding the wood in your hand - normally 4 knocks and it's out.

good luck!

dave

I have made lots of Slimline pens, and other pens with a twist mech. I can honestly say that once you have pushed the twist mech in too far, you will might as well forget it.

I have bought the twist mech in bulk as it is a shame to waste a pen kit due to this problem. You never go by the line marked on the twist barrel. 9 times out of 10 you will have to go much deeper, checking frequently is the key here to success.

I sold off many of my excess twist mech on Ebay as i tend to make other pens now.

Looks very nice Dave :D
Nice shape and finish.
What wood and finish have you used?
As for getting them apart.Almost impossible without causing any damage.
Only tried it once and ruined it :roll: So have been extra,extra careful since :D

Thanks all,

The pen I messed up can still be used - just open all the time, found I got more control on the vice rather than the drill press!

I am not sure what the wood is - it looks like chocolate when cut! I got it with the lathe!

I finished with a shellac finishing polish as I quite like a semi-gloss finish!

Dave

Latest posts

Back