My First Bowl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My point being that despite some assumptions that my earlier post was defensive, it was in fact appreciative. I actually like the bowl.
No hidden agenda, no contradictions of anyone's advice.
As Chas said;
CHJ":1r0e1bec said:
We are all entitled to our own opinion on shape/form preferences,
I hope that's OK.

monkeybiter":mjxi2q9h said:
My point being that despite some assumptions that my earlier post was defensive, it was in fact appreciative. I actually like the bowl.
No hidden agenda, no contradictions of anyone's advice.
As Chas said;
CHJ":mjxi2q9h said:
We are all entitled to our own opinion on shape/form preferences,
I hope that's OK.
Ditto.

If I could turn bowls I would make them nice and thick like your first attempt. Then stuff it with fruit.

I thinned the base and walls and got a better match between the outer curve and inner. Then sanded from 60 to 600. Haven't put a finish on it yet. I got a lot of vibration on the upper part of the inside walls so didn't go as thin as I would have liked just tried to avoid grooves.

Attachments

• WP_20150405_001.jpg
    WP_20150405_001.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 774
SPSlick":1qr32m4o said:
...... I got a lot of vibration on the upper part of the inside walls so didn't go as thin as I would have liked just tried to avoid grooves.

Having already removed the bowl from your chuck you were lucky to get it remounted and running true enough to be able to rework it, not an easy task for someone new to turning. Both the risk of the mount not setting exactly the same and the wood moving as stresses and moisture levels change can make it extremely difficult to start a cut with a bowl gouge.

One trick on the peripheral edge to get a reference for the bowl gouge bevel is to true up a few millimetres near the front edge both on the external and internal surface with a parting tool in plunge mode. (from the front) this then gives you a true circle surface for the bowl gouge to work with.

After acquiring some bowl gouges and scrapers I had another go at it and put a danish oil finish on it.

sycamore bowl.jpg

Attachments

• sycamore bowl.jpg
    sycamore bowl.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 692
That to me looks far better balanced in proportions and you have got a good continuous curve form and tool mark free finish.

Back