My first attempt at carving (finished, in situ)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Skillfully done.

I like the flint-work (being a Kent lad at heart).

I've found another photo that some may be interested in........

3300964979_9dc036eb58.jpg

All the pegging of the M&T's followed this principal. Even though it was all seasoned wood, this still pulled up well when the peg was driven in. You just need a bit of a taper at the leading end of the peg to feed it nicely into the tenon hole, and it pulls the joint up beautifully.

Given that the wood was seasoned I went for roundish pegs, rather than the more traditional (for green oak work) octagonal section. I often see square riven pegs, too, in timber framed buildings...........the original square peg in a round hole.

Mike

Sorry to drag up an old thread like this.....but this tickled me!

My daughter, away at University, saw a photo of my sign for the first time and her instant reaction was.....
-
-
-

"........Dad, you really are half-hobbit, aren't you?"

:D :D :D

Kiddies.......they do make you smile occasionally!

Mike

Half Hobbit :lol: excellent my dear old Dad used to call those "back handed compliments". Does she consider Pebmarsh to be in "The Shire" then? Funnily enough I bought a car from a chap near Rettendon his place was called the "Hobbits Hole"

Tommo the sawdust maker":3b363vyk said:
Does she consider Pebmarsh to be in "The Shire" then?

Not sure.....but I do think there are times when I am speaking English and she is speaking Elvish........

That is superb Mike. =D> It's very in keeping with the surrounds too.

Yes I am Jenx.....really pleased, thank you.

Funny thing, it was such a tiny little job, and yet has had so much comment, not only on here, but also from friends and neighbours. Two or three have asked if I can do one for them........which is almost the sincerest form of flattery!

Mike

Sometimes its just the 'way of it' ... what starts out as a 'little something or nothing job' really captures the attention and imagination of people ... I saw it when you posted about it originally, and like many others obviously thought too, it was something that just really 'jumped out' and said.. "look how bloody nice I AM !" ..

There's something about it that really shouts 'quality'.

I like it A LOT !

Lovely job Mike.. really is :D :D :D :D

Beautiful work, Mike =D>

How long ago was the thatching done? Less than ten years at a guess? Is there much of a loading on the insurance?

I used to have this house:
House.jpg

Must admit I miss the thatch, its a wonderful roofing material.

Cheers,
Neil

Neil,

I finished building the house in Dec 1999, and it was thatched early in 2000...........so the thatch is only 9 years old. You weren't far out!! And yes, it is a wonderful roofing material.

This is apparently the first new thatched house in Essex for over 100 years. It being reed (as is yours), it should last up to about 70 years.

Mike

Back