My first attempt at carving (finished, in situ)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers Baz, IB.........

Of course I'll post the in situ photos! I promised my wife that it would be finished this weekend......

So............loads of oil, or do I try yacht varnish??

Mike

Looks good, Mike. I like the gallows bracket. :wink:

You can go for an oil finish, of course but, it will probably need re-oiling every year, where as something like yacht varnish should last a bit longer before it needs re-coating... If you do go for the varnish, I recommend you thin down the first couple of coats - I think I used white spirit? This makes subsequent coats easier to apply and gives you less of a gloss finish!

I'd go no finish, don't want it going slightly wee coloured and then flaking after a couple of years.

Mike you do realise that technically spokeshaves are planes and as you mentioned using a couple that must mean you have more than 2 planes. Slope descent alert :D

Ironballs":bfbtgzet said:
Mike you do realise that technically spokeshaves are planes :D

Instantly doubling my plane numbers to 4! Eek.....eBay, where's the address?

We're going for linseed oil.......once a day for a week, once a week for a month, once a month for a year, once a year forever after......it doesn't end up quite that nasty orangy yellow colour outdoors as everything is fighting to go grey.

Mike

Mike I as others have said, you have done a great piece of work there with (not being rude) what tools you have. =D> To show members how you carried out the work was great. I enjoyed seing when push came to shove and it's a real eye opener. Past wood workers, cabinet makers, used what they had to hand. Like yourself and produced very good quality. To add to their working enviroment, it's hard to think that with the quality they were producing they were working with candle light and day light. I think that most of us can just look and admire the progress of the sign that Mike has made.

Nice bit of lettering for this sign Mike, but please, no finish...just leave it to weather outside. Linseed oil won't make any difference to the eventual finish which will be silver, so don't bother to start with :wink: I haven't done any incised lettering of this sort, but someone I knew years ago who was a master at this said that all that's needed is a couple of decent bevel edge chisels - Rob

Finished, and in situ........

3299554339_571a66a99a_b.jpg

3299555255_88f2d40d18_b.jpg

3299554713_8851215c99_b.jpg

3299631267_6f3dd6119a_b.jpg

Mike

Lord N, Croppy Boy, Mark.....

Many thanks fellas....much appreciated. I'm surprised by how much attention this has got as it is only a little "fill-in" project. It was great fun though!

A neighbour has already asked if I could do one for him......but wasn't quite so keen when I said it was a 4 day job, therefore at least £400 even at "mate's rates"!! I'll stick to the day job!

Mike

Thank you very much for the compliments chaps......I'm quite pleased with it myself. More importantly, my wife loves it!

Yes, IB, I built the house......and everything else you see in the photos, and the house next door.....Oh to have that energy again!

Mike

Really well done mate. I think it's stunning.

Must have a go at lettering one day.

Back