My BITS and BOBS (to be continued)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tam, like Andrew, I find the piece too fussy, guess it has something to do with not sitting at a dressing table all that often.

The ability to match repetitive pieces with that amount of detail gets my admiration though, I realise that there is a vast amount of difference between letting the 'wood flow and seeing what comes out' and setting tight design criteria that have to be repeated several times.

If I were to attempt similar I think I would be tempted to do the lids in a darker wood as a highlight, having said that I don't know how that sits with my 'too fussy' comment but it is just what came to me on initial viewing.

Thanks for all the replies guys. It just holds out my feelings that it was and is still not my cup of tea. It was purposely made for the competition so maybe that is what is wrong. I had no real idea what would happen to it after the comp. and it just wouldn't fit in anywhere at home. It is now languishing inside a box in my garage (workshop).:roll:

I agree it would have been a lot better in a less highly figured wood, but that was the only timber of that size that I had around. Too tight to go out and get something more appropriate. :lol:

Fussy? Yes I agree to a certain extent, yet I enjoy the challenge of repetitive turning so no doubt I will turn out something similar to these lines again.

Am in the process of trying to get some bits ready for WoodFest (which is at St. Asaph on June 1st-3rd) if anyone is interested) but it won't be anything like the dressing table piece.

Thanks again for the replies.

Hi guy's, back again with the last two bits of my ready made pieces. All I've posted up till now have been made over the last 4 years or so, with the majority made last year.

Pau-Amerello with Ebony stem and finial, finished with water based acrylic spray lacquer. Size - 325mm H x 60mm W. It has lived on the mantle piece in our sitting room for the last four years, ('er indoors laid claim to it) it is now on it's third finial, the open spiral is very delicate because of the short grain orientation. I must confess it was me that broke it both times. [-X

Lime burr, finished with oil. Size 260mm x 125mm.

Piece off a LARGE Lime burr I was given while I was buying some Cherry logs for a job. I bought 2 Cherry logs 20"dia x 5'6" each. Saw this huge lump lying by the gate, asked about it and was told it was Lime. The bloke said he was having problems breaking it up, so if I had a use for it I could have it. (His hand was still stuck to it when I grabbed it so quick :lol:) I've got a 5' x 3' trailer and had to do a second run to collect the burr after taking the logs home, couldn't get them all in together. The burr was approx 750mm L x 500mm W x 350mm T.

As always, ALL comments/criticism are gratefully accepted. :wink:

Tam.Those two pieces are lovely :D
Some nice detail on the first piece.I like it.Want to make one :lol:
How did you do the spiral on the first piece,and does it come apart :?
Paul.J.

Mornin' Paul.

Yes it does come apart, it is actually a hollow egg box.

The finial spiral was marked out ala 'Stuart Mortimer's' book. I used a Proxon drill with some carbide cutters to cut the spiral. As you work around each leg the inside comes out as well. Then it is filing and sanding until you're satisfied.

Not hard to do, just time consuming, and the short grain at the thin end of the spiral makes it very delicate so you have got to take it easy. :oops: Broke a few since I've been doing them.

Nothing new, just moving this up front cause it took me ages to find the thread.

Hopefully I will get some more pics to put up soon, once I get back in the garage. At the moment I'm spending all my time sawmilling logs, and waxing. :roll:

"WAXING" :shock: If there's anything you'd like to share
now might be a good time to get it off your chest. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good one Kev, :lol: Should have done all this timber preparation months ago. Got landed with a load of cherry, beech, laburnum, and some hornbeam. :cry: Never turned hornbeam before so once all 'waxed' stored away and dried will see how it goes, I believe it is quite hard timber.

Todays work!

Glad it stayed dry today got half my new timber milled, and started putting some through the bandsaw and waxing the ends. The big slabs at the back (Beech) will be left that size, while the stuff at the front (Purple leaf Plum) with the bark still on will go through the bandsaw before it gets waxed.

Am hoping it stays dry over the next couple of days and I may get it all finished and stowed away.

Wish me luck! [-o<

TEP, thats a picture to salivate over, the plum looks like it is going to be a dream to work with and such a rich colour.

Was waxing and stacking today. Then decided to cut a bit more wood, hit a b****y big nail which really chewed the chain on my saw. :cry: Lost over 10 teeth, with the rest bent and buckled. Chain is really had it so will have to wait until Monday to get a couple more. More money :roll:

Decided to turn out my garage a bit and found some pieces in a big plastic chest. They have been in there for over a year and I had forgotten all about them.

Ropala Lacewood 230mm square x 120mm high. Oil finish.

Olive Ash 210 mm dia x 100mm high, again oil finish.

They don't look any the worse for the keeping Tam. No doubt the oil finish stabilized any tendency for moisture to influence them.

Couple of very nice pieces,Tam;the rim detail on the lacewood just accentuates the whole piece very nicely :D

Pity about the chainsaw :(

Andrew

Another that was hiding in that box. I'm obviously getting old when I can't even remember things like this are packed away. :oops: #-o

Sycamore, 400mm dia. x 60mm, textured, coloured, acrylic spray on top, and sealer and wax below. Made a few of these over the years, the design is by 'Dave Reeks'.

Some nice looking timber there Tam,and some nice finished bowls :D
So that's what happens to them then when you run out of room in the house :lol:
Paul.J.

Hi Paul, they are for sale, just forgot all about then after stowing them away. #-o Too many other things on my mind. Am hoping to do a couple of craft fairs next year, so hopefully they will go there.

Here's an idea for some if you want to use your small off-cuts of nice wood. I've been making them for a few years now, too tight to throw away my little bits. :oops: Another find in my chest!

Miniature bowl with fruit, this one is 6" dia. bowl in Sycamore, fruit anything nice I have around. Full sized fruit beside it for idea of size.

Wassername just brought me a coffee as I clicked on your fruit bowl pic... quote: "Oh! they're nice... and I like the shape of the bowl"

...me too!

Tam.
That is absolutely gorgeous.The whole lot. :D
Love the colours of the fruit and the bowl is lovely.
Are the fruits the natural colours or are some painted.
Paul.J.

Thanks Graham, obviously 'er indoors has good taste. \:D/

Paul, the fruit are all natural colours, apples - Yew, pears - Laburnum, plums - Purpleheart, cherries - Padauk, and I think the lemon is Acacia. The bowl is burr Sycamore made in two pieces. I also make identical ones but full size. People do like the small ones, and as I said it's a way of using small of-cuts, rather than chucking them.

Back