My BITS and BOBS (to be continued)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another club afternoon's turning. Blister's idea originally when he gave some plans out and a few forum members made one. I thought it was a great idea and quite a few members said they would take up the challenge, bu only a couple finished and posted.

Anyway I downloaded a photo of one of the other offerings and made this yesterday at the woodturning club I go to. I don't have a plan so it is not as exact, just my interpretation of it.

Made in Sycamore as yet it has no finish and all the parts are only fitted together not glued. One of the main differences is I made three small feet for it as some of my floors are not to straight. (Old house). It will sit better on a tripod base. Will probably stain it before I put any finish on as it is too pale to fit in anywhere here. Took me about 2 hours all in, and enjoyed every minute of it. \:D/ \:D/

That's really unusual and works well Tam. I am still waiting for the plans. Don't know if they are still going the rounds or whether the idea ran out of steam.

Pete

Looks good Tam :D , I like to make an occasional table myself( #-o bad pun).

The three little feet set it off nicely but look like the sort of sticky out bit that can home in on passing little toes(crunch) :lol: .

The sycamore suits it too, I know people call it a bland timber but I rather like it, I think it has a pale beauty with lovely wide flowing grain.

JT

Thanks guy's, am slowly building up my stock of finished pieces in between doing some jobs that keep coming in. Still got a nice piece of Eugene's bog Oak to do something with, got the idea just trying to find the time.

No need to worry about lil' toes JT all mine are gone. \:D/ \:D/ I agree Sycamore is a often forgotten timber, but most of my stuff is Oak so it don't fit in. This was just meant as a test piece before I may make some in Oak. I won't chuck it though, I'm quite pleased the way it turned out.

Looks very nice,Tam - I'm waiting for the plans also,somehow think it'll take me more than two hours to turn out something as nice as that (if I manage to at all :lol: )

Andrew

Tam, lovely work ,the table is perfection IMO when finished will look a millon dollers. Glad that you havent turned the Bog Oak as yet was afraid I had somehow missed it.
Got a date at last for op. 28th April. I think me hip is getting better now :lol: :lol: Just glad to have got a date,lots of problems with surgeons contracts so some light at last. REgards Eugene (Boysie).

Tam, thats absolutely gorgeous !

Two hours !!! that would take me two weeks and end up less than half as impressive ... its really a lovely piece.
Great to see what an 'auld hand' ( by that I mean 'experienced :wink: ') can do and in that kind of timescale. Amazing :D

How 'dark' will you go, do you think ?

Its a beauty. Love it 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Thanks folks, all praise is received with the appropriate humility. :twisted: :twisted:

Once again good luck when they start chopping Eugene, I look forward to meeting up at Loughborough. PS - That hip ain't getting better, it's all in the mind. :lol: :lol: It will be better though.

Probably just a light Oak Alun, my furniture is made up of renovated Oak, or light Oak, so a Sycamore stand would look a bit incongruous amongst that lot. 'Auld hand!' fits just right, 63 next birfday and still singin'.

'er indoors already wants a few more for standing pot plants on [-( ](*,) so once I make a couple for my cups of tea I will have to get around to 'ers.

TEP":2i9l3vtb said:
'er indoors already wants a few more for standing pot pants on [-( ](*,) so once I make a couple for my cups of tea I will have to get around to 'ers.

That's exactly what my missus said when I suggested the idea. :roll:

Another job for the filthy lucre, 7 of x 9½” long Oak spindles for a chap who is making a lectern for a local church. Nice bit of Oak as well, not a splinter in sight. Spent 3 hours yesterday PM on setting them out and the turning. Nice little job to stop me getting bored.

Today I have been giving Eugene's bit of Bog Oak a severe looking at and decided what I'm going to do with it. Must get on with it, seems a shame to have such a beautiful piece of wood just lying there.

Back