My BITS and BOBS (to be continued)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TEP

Established Member
Reaction score
Some of my stuff I completed last year. Not managed to get much turning done this year though. :( :cry:

Spalted Sycamore with Padauk neck. 230mm H x 150mm W. Hollowed using home made tools, (5/8th bright mild bar with HSS insert, 1 at 0deg, 1 at 45deg.) Finish was 3 coats oil then burnishing cream a few days later.

Laburnum, 200mm H x 80mm W. Stem hand carved. All my own work, but not my design. It came from a magazine article in Woodturning a couple of years ago. Stem is marked out and cut and shaped using power tools, rasps, and sand paper and SWEAT. Finish was water based Acrilic spray. Then burnished.

Some great examples there TEP, any chance you can expand on methods used and finishes.

Thanks Dod, all my own work, but not my design.

Many thanks Graham, joking aside I almost lost it a few times it was so thin, we couldn't put in on a window sill it would blow over if there was a strong breeze. 'er' indoors gave it to a friend who fell in love with it. Who'd be a turner eh!

Hi WYBI.

I think it took me a afternoon, but I did use power tools.

It can be done by hand using a saw, chisels, and rasps, but it is hard work. The actual stem is quite easy it is marked out like a spiral ala Stuart Mortimer, then you hack away until it looks good. :wink:

Tam

2 very nice pieces. The goblet certainly flows but I'm not too sure about the padauk neck on the hollow form.

Beautiful work Tam, thanks for sharing.
How are you at light pulls though :wink:
Regards,
Beejay

Thanks Mark, all opinions/pointers welcome. :D I had some doubts as well, but I remembered a photo from a mag, with something similar so gave it a a go. It makes it a lot easier hollowing with the wider neck though.

Morning BeeJay don't you sleep. Bring some cord pulls into the next club meet and you can show me. \:D/

TEP":185rf4z3 said:
Morning BeeJay don't you sleep. Bring some cord pulls into the next club meet and you can show me. \:D/

Crack o' dawn mate thats me,, :D
i've only tried a couple so far and they're not exactly a matching pair :oops:
I'll try some more at the weekend and bring them in.
regards, beejay

Every body seems to love the goblet, thanks all. As I said before it was in a article in a woodturning magazine a few years ago.

The guy, his site, and my inspiration. http://www.siragas.gr/

Give it a go!

you know ... if you centered it properly you could get rid of that wobble in the stem! ONLY JOKING!! I love it!! and I like the other one too! I looked on that site and is very inspiring! yet another new thing to put on my ' try this if you dare' list. =D>

Thanks Mrs S.

I knew there was sumfink that wasn't quite right wiv it! #-o

You know no matter how long you stick at this turning lark you always learn something new. For my next attempt a goblet with a straight stem. :lol:

Tam wrote
For my next attempt a goblet with a straight stem.
You be careful how you do it then :D
Tam.
Two more lovely pieces.I like. :D
Paul.J.

Just a couple more.

Posted this goblet once before, but I lost the upload location, so eer'tis again.

'Olive' Ash, 370mm dia x 50mm H. Finished with Finishing oil.

Two more pieces, for your pleasure. Please feel free to leave any/or all comments/criticisms to the management, I'm only the turner!!:-({|=

Oak plate, a cutting from a large oak burr so as I could fix the large burr onto a faceplate. Plate size 200mm x 30mm, completed with a oil finish.

Pot in Purpleheart with cast pewter rings. The top knob, and the foot are in a different wood, no idea what it is just some hard wood I had in my bits box. Size is 140mm high x 110mm wide on the square. Made almost 4 years ago for a competition, failed dismally but if you don't enter you can't win.

Latest posts

Back