My BITS and BOBS (to be continued)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That purple heart pot is really beautiful. I must admit I prefer anything that is slightly out of the ordinary. One of the best looking things I have seen on here so far IMHO.

Pete

Two more nice looking pieces there Tam.
I like the Burr Oak piece,great job on the pot too :D
How long you been turning Tam :?:
Pete,or anyone.What does IMHO stand for :?:
Must get a list of all these abbreviations. :?
Paul.J.

Hi all.

Thanks for that Pete, pity you weren't the judge when it was in the competition. :wink: But beauty is in the eye of the beholder, or so I'm told.

Turning just over 10 years now Paul, I worked for the MOD, retired 11 years ago. Built a extension on our house, then 'er indoors bought me one of those Clarke lathes, for a birthday. It lasted me about 4 months, I joined a turning club and found out about the other machinery that was about. Bought my new kit and haven't looked back since. (The story of my life) :roll:

Thanks for that link Chas. it will really come in handy, I often have problems with the abbreviations on forums.

TEP wrote
Thanks for that link Chas. it will really come in handy, I often have problems with the abbreviations on forums.
Glad to see i'm not the only one.Cheers Chas :D
Paul.J.

CHJ":148jhqxi said:
Just for fun, try putting your initials or name in the search. :lol:

Okay,Chief Justice :lol:

Andrew (or possibly Anglo-Saxon,which seemed most appropriate of the 167 possibles..)

P.S. - Tam,the purpleheart box is something special - if that never won,then I would really like to have seen what did.

Tam, two great pieces, luv them both but the purpleheart and pewter speaks to me :wink:

Hi.

Thanks PT, the competition was between the clubs that make up the NFWG they have being holding their annual comp. at Woodfest (North Wales). As to what did win I can't remember, but as I said before "it is all in the eyes of the beholder" and it was about 4 years ago, (maybe they were not ready for my technique) ](*,) :-({|= .

If anyone has any comments/criticisms about these pieces I would be grateful to have them. Then we may all know where I went wrong. :roll:

I still enter competitions now and again, but I don't really work at it just when I have the time. Although I believe it is the idea of the piece more than the finished item that places in these comps.

TEP":13y8ywbx said:
"it is all in the eyes of the beholder"

This is what I find so off-putting at times, not so long ago I asked an established turner about a piece he had submitted, and why; only to be enlightened quite openly that it had been produced to match the preferences of the judges at that event.

Now this is not sour grapes because my abilities don't match these levels , I personally do not have the aspirations to go there anyway, but I do wonder at how inhibiting this sort of thing might be to someone trying to break through with their own style.

Hi Chas.

Your dead right, I know of some people who judge that won't entertain any piece that has been coloured in any way, or that between spindle and faceplate work it depends on who's judging whether either type of work would be placed first, not on the quality of the work.

Mind you it would be a boring world if we were all the same, so I suppose the next thing to say is for any competition. "Know your judge!" I also think that you need to go into any comp. treating it as a bit of fun and certainly not getting serious about it in any way.

I suppose different judges rate according to either aesthetic appeal (very objective) or technical merit. Even here on the forum you can see very different styles which am sure we would all have different opinions on but can still acknowledge the skill and work that has gone into them.
Viva la difference as the mongolians would say. :lol:

Pete

It does make you wonder though how the judges do come to some of their decisions though.
Tam was there any reasons given for your piece not winning :!:
Paul.J.

Hi Paul.

I was only one of many that did not get placed in the comp. and they don't normally give any sort of critique, in fact they don't even give any reason why they pick the winning pieces.

This was so different when I was at one of the AWGB seminars, they had a couple of internationally known turners giving a critique of the members items on display. Now that was really helpful.

Hello Tam.
Thanks for the reply.
Tam wrote
they don't normally give any sort of critique, in fact they don't even give any reason why they pick the winning pieces.
Just as i thought.Doesn't it leave you wondering though. :roll:
I think they should at least give a reason why they pick the winner.
Paul.J.

Now that FreeShare is back & running again I thought I would put up another couple of pics. These ones are from the NFWG annual competition and show which was held at Woodfest Llandudno N. Wales last year.

Not one of my favourite pieces, but I did get a first. Olive Ash, size 260mm x 300mm. Base turned on four centres to get the three lidded pots around the front periphery and the centre. Finished in oil.

My final result. :eek:ccasion5:

Tam.
That is a lovely looking piece,and not one of your favourites :?: :?:
Lovely looking wood too.
First prize.....................Show off :D :D
Paul.J.

PaulJ said
That is a lovely looking piece,and not one of your favourites

Hi Paul.

It sounds funny, but half way through making it I started going off the whole idea. Didn't have any time for anything else, so finished it and it was put in as part of the clubs competition entries. What made me even more off was 'er indoors didn't like it either. 'Too bulky' her words. If anyone has any comments/critisisms they are gratefully recieved, I still don't really like it, but would like to hear what others think.

Yes it was a nice piece of wood, some 'olive' Ash I bought a few years ago and left sitting around waiting for something like that dressing table piece.

A nice piece,Tam - not to my personal taste,but still an excellent piece.
It just seems too "busy" to me ; however,the technical aspects of the turning and finishing look completely flawless (and well past my current ability) so for me,you still deserved first prize :D

Andrew

Like Andrew it's not something I'd make for myself but I envy your skill. :mrgreen:

I can imagine it looking better in a plain wood with less visible grain. There's so much detail in the turning and it might look better in something like mahogany....sort of victorian.
Pete

Back