Mushy Peas

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't eat mushy peas, or any other food that looks regurgitated.

Pete

Inspector":21w57y0x said:
Wrong border. I’m Canadian. ;) It’s been a very long time since I took American history so those details are kind of hard to relate to. Actually probably had 4 times as much British history. Maybe the French Canadian poutine (chips, cheese curds and gravy) would fit us better. :)

Pete

Apologies, Pete. My older brother, a Canadian citizen since 1965 and resident just outside Ottawa, would never forgive me for that.
Poutine? Isn't that Irish moonshine? Ah no, that's poteen. :)
Pete

Bm101":2dja9z2h said:
I think some of you should give peas a chance.

I saw what you did there 8)

I’m a big fan of mushy peas. The comment of looking regurgitated is totally accurate though. Black peas are a close second.

Well, speek'n as a truu-born Suvvenner, I DO know the difference between Watford & Watford Gap! (Watford is where the map turns all plain white with just a printed warning "Hereon be Dragons)!

Just for interest my Swiss wife HATES mushy peas and looks on with huge disgust as I happily devour a portion. But as I tell her, what does she know - them as what don't like 'em, there's just no hope for yers! Just like you lot ;-)

But being a little serious for a moment, I have the feeling (NOT knowledge) that mushy peas come originally from about the WWII time, when unless you grew them yourself, you were damn lucky to get any veggies unless they came out of a tin.

As said, SWMBO absolutely HATES mushy peas but she LOVES "duurbonnen" (not sure about the spelling without looking that up, sorry)!

What's that? Well despite being neutral in WWII, food, especially fresh food, was short and was rationed in Switzerland during WWII too, just like UK. As part of their Civil Defence regs, every Swiss family had to have so much food stuff - mainly dried - stored for "emergencies". Amongst other things that included flour, rice, AND the afore-said "duurbonnen" (which are dried green French beans BTW).

As a kid (she was born in 1941) that included said dried green beans (which, just for info, are soaked in slightly salted water overnight, then cooked in the much the same way as fresh beans are cooked).

Purely as guess work I guess that's the main reason she likes them so much, even still today, - because she had to eat them as a kid. So also as a guess, the reason I like mushy peas so much is for a similar reason? Dunno, but on the rare occasions I visit UK these days, one "must have" for me is a decent portion of fried cod n chips WITH mushy peas of course.

BTW, I have tried "duurbonnen" myself and must say they're no too bad at all - but nowhere near as good as mushy peas ;-)

When I lived in Mannerdorf those dried green bean things were called (in Swiss German) dörrbohnen. Usually served up with boiled bacon. They were not fantastic, but unlike mushy peas they were at least edible.

I think that's the correct spelling AJB Temple - and yes, they're (were?) available in Germany too.

But sorry, you are 1000% completely and utterly wrong about mushy peas being inedible! :D :D :D

Phil- Mushy peas in Lidl are only 21p and better( in my northern opinion)

Lets open another can of worms- where's the north/south divide where you pour gravy over your chips?

I remember a school dinner favourite from our local chippy called a minimix. It consisted of chips, mushy peas, sausage, scraps and gravy poured over everything , all for 50p

I’m a Northerner who isn’t into gravy. Curry sauce yes.
50 p sounds like a proper bargain though. When I was at Bolton college, there used to be 2 chippies on the main road opposite each other. They were always locked in a price battle, I think they reached a limit when it was 2 massive chip barms for a quid. :mrgreen:

Nice to see the word dinner used properly. :mrgreen:

Haven't got a problem with curry sauce. Will have that with a steak pud.

I have a lovely neighbour who confuses me all the time regarding dinner , tea, lunch supper etc. She's originally from London

I have my dinner around 12.30 and she's just had her dinner around 8pm

tsb":1t0cstvi said:

Same here, dinner midday and evening meal is tea. It’s a classic northern vs southern thing. Having said, my sister has raised her kids to say lunch and dinner. Traitor :D

scooby":36mlc7mf said:
tsb":36mlc7mf said:

Same here, dinner midday and evening meal is tea. It’s a classic northern vs southern thing. Having said, my sister has raised her kids to say lunch and dinner. Traitor :D

Quite right. Breakfast, dinner, tea then supper. :)
Pete

AES":1bwvlln5 said:
Well, speek'n as a truu-born Suvvenner, I DO know the difference between Watford & Watford Gap! (Watford is where the map turns all plain white with just a printed warning "Hereon be Dragons)!

Just for interest my Swiss wife HATES mushy peas and looks on with huge disgust as I happily devour a portion. But as I tell her, what does she know - them as what don't like 'em, there's just no hope for yers! Just like you lot ;-)

But being a little serious for a moment, I have the feeling (NOT knowledge) that mushy peas come originally from about the WWII time, when unless you grew them yourself, you were damn lucky to get any veggies unless they came out of a tin.

As said, SWMBO absolutely HATES mushy peas but she LOVES "duurbonnen" (not sure about the spelling without looking that up, sorry)!

What's that? Well despite being neutral in WWII, food, especially fresh food, was short and was rationed in Switzerland during WWII too, just like UK. As part of their Civil Defence regs, every Swiss family had to have so much food stuff - mainly dried - stored for "emergencies". Amongst other things that included flour, rice, AND the afore-said "duurbonnen" (which are dried green French beans BTW).

As a kid (she was born in 1941) that included said dried green beans (which, just for info, are soaked in slightly salted water overnight, then cooked in the much the same way as fresh beans are cooked).

Purely as guess work I guess that's the main reason she likes them so much, even still today, - because she had to eat them as a kid. So also as a guess, the reason I like mushy peas so much is for a similar reason? Dunno, but on the rare occasions I visit UK these days, one "must have" for me is a decent portion of fried cod n chips WITH mushy peas of course.

BTW, I have tried "duurbonnen" myself and must say they're no too bad at all - but nowhere near as good as mushy peas ;-)

Obviously a southerner, proper northerners prefer haddock!

Racers":1nrxej19 said:
I don't eat mushy peas, or any other food that looks regurgitated.

Pete

When the missus is away, I'm known for my cooking style of mix and match tins.
I totally DO NOT recommend baked beans and mushy peas in the same saucepan!
:roll: :roll: (hammer) (hammer) (hammer) (hammer) (hammer)

You know when you have reached the furthest north of Britain when fish and chips is called a fish supper, regardless of the time of day.

As I understand it, mushy peas are dried peas, or "marrowfat" peas - it's how you keep them for next year - the same as lentils or any other bean that isn't pre-cooked in a can for you. Once you soak them and cook them, they are no longer pea-shaped, but a bit mushy. It would have been the standard method of eating them for all of history, up until Mr Heinz started putting things in cans. Mr Birdseye is an even later adaption.

I once, thirty years ago, saw the word "pasty" on a chipshop menu in Manchester, and being a Cornish boy far from home, took the plunge. You have no idea how disappointed I was. A deep-fried pastry packet of thin, watery mincemeat is not a pasty. Probably things have changed, now Ginster's have taken over the universe - it will be even worse now.

sunnybob":mdxmc2ql said:
When the missus is away, I'm known for my cooking style of mix and match tins.
I totally DO NOT recommend baked beans and mushy peas in the same saucepan!

I assume your locals all eat fasolada - it is Greek style baked beans. We like to make it with extra bacon (considered a high crime, but what doesn't taste nicer with bacon?). Haven't you got a little old lady neighbour, all dressed in black with extra moustache, who would just love to feed her poor, suddenly wifeless neighbour a warming, hearty bowl of bean soup, any time of day or night?

For identification purposes, they tend to look like this:

greek-people-elderly-woman-in-the-village-of-tsepelevo-in-the-zagoria-bedy3g.jpg

Back