Mushy Peas

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nigel Burden":2835reyp said:
Bread and dripping, especially with the jelly from the bottom of the pot, with salt and pepper, delicious. Enough to give a cardiologist a heart attack though.

Nigel.

"mucky fat" around here.

Back in the early 60's, as an apprentice gas fitter, I ate a lot of dripping on toast. All the fitters would clock on at the yard, then all get on their push bikes (yes, that was the official transport) and cycle to their favourite hole in the wall cafes for breakfast.
Dripping figured heavily in those places.
Cant get decent dripping anymore, the cows are all bred for lean meat, they aint got no fat on their bones :roll: :roll:

Dripping..........That reminds me..........

As soon as I can find some yeast, I'm going to make some lardy cake. Lard by the yard. :lol:

Sadly the baker in the village closed a few years ago. They used to make lovely lardy cakes, the best for miles around.

Nigel.

OK, I'lll bite! What on EARTH is lardy cake??????????????

Is it like what we used to get in proper fish & chip shops darn sarf back in them good 'ole days - pease puddon & faggots? That was in them days when NO self-respecting fish & chip shops sold pies (PIES???) & chips!

And BTW, to earlier posters - when ordering fish & chips, cod was the No.1 choice (and more expensive), haddock was No. 2, & rock salmon was for when you were really hard up.

(Serious Q, what WAS "rock salmon" BTW? Had a dirty great nobbly bone going right across it).

Rock salmon was (is) dogfish. A shark related small fish, used to be the cheapest. I expect its a delicacy now.
I remember when fish and chip shops started selling sausages, but that was half a century ago.
Pies? you went to a pie and eel shop if you wanted pies, served with green liquer.
Or a taxi cab rank where the kiosk sold tea, coffee, and hot steak pies.
The best pies and coffee were sold at the Chelsea Bridge kiosk (but best not to ask what the meat was) :shock: 8) .

Lardy cake is basically an afternoon tea cake, but with a lot of lard. Mega calories.

If you were there between 64 and 72, we most likely watched the sun come up together 8) 8) 8)

Up until I retired a few years ago, I would often find myself in a hotel in Rye.
The chippy on the sharp bend does “rock” but you had to order it an hour before you wanted it. I guess he has it in his freezer.
It’s dogfish and IMHO is the nicest way to eat fried fish.

AES":23fb0p9u said:
NO self-respecting fish & chip shops sold pies (PIES???) & chips!

Oh yes they did - Mushy Pies with F & C was a Black Country speciality!

lurker":upoffycq said:
Up until I retired a few years ago, I would often find myself in a hotel in Rye.
The chippy on the sharp bend does “rock” but you had to order it an hour before you wanted it. I guess he has it in his freezer.
He probably had to allow an hour for skinning the bl00dy thing. :)

In Cornwall they're "murgeys". It comes from the words for sea dog.

sunnybob":3gsx66wq said:
If you were there between 64 and 72, we most likely watched the sun come up together 8) 8) 8)

Nah mate, too late for me I need '62-'64, sorry. '64-'66 it was Yorkshire for me (that's beyond Watford BTW), followed by Germany (both RAF).

Phil Pascoe":1a9wuwaq said:
lurker":1a9wuwaq said:
He probably had to allow an hour for skinning the bl00dy thing. :)

In Cornwall they're "murgeys". It comes from the words for sea dog.

Phil, I am rather disappointed that a man of your wide experience doesn’t know how to skin them.
You cut and loosen the skin around the head and along the underside to the tail , nail the flap of skin behind the head to a post and pull the body downwards . Easy!!
The lady in the Fresh fish shop In Newlyn was telling me ( in December) that they are a protected species these days.

Edit: dog fish are a protected, not fresh fish shop ladies

Woodchips2":13bu7ayh said:
On holiday in Lancashire I had a local delicacy of hot pork pie with mushy peas and mint sauce and was hooked. Even now when I have mushy peas with fish and chips I splash the mint sauce.

Regards Keith

That sounds like a northern version of the australian "pie floater" - a meat pie swimming in a bowl full of marrowfat peas (what mushy peas are made from for those that don't know). - mint sauce though - I usually use brown with my floater, so mint could be a nice change.

AES":395cbwg1 said:
sunnybob":395cbwg1 said:

Nah mate, too late for me I need '62-'64, sorry. '64-'66 it was Yorkshire for me (that's beyond Watford BTW), followed by Germany (both RAF).

That would be my elder brother then (it was a family tradition 8) )
Tall skinny bloke on a gold star. :roll: :roll:

AES":2k8d06ov said:
OK, I'lll bite! What on EARTH is lardy cake??????????????

Is it like what we used to get in proper fish & chip shops darn sarf back in them good 'ole days - pease puddon & faggots? That was in them days when NO self-respecting fish & chip shops sold pies (PIES???) & chips!

And BTW, to earlier posters - when ordering fish & chips, cod was the No.1 choice (and more expensive), haddock was No. 2, & rock salmon was for when you were really hard up.

(Serious Q, what WAS "rock salmon" BTW? Had a dirty great nobbly bone going right across it).

Nothing to do with fish and chips.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=lardy+cak ... 2&sk=&cvid

And Rock Salmon.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=rock+salm ... 0654a6e09b

And your cheap scampi is Monkfish.

Nigel.

sunnybob":3c0n735z said:
AES":3c0n735z said:
sunnybob":3c0n735z said:

That would be my elder brother then (it was a family tradition 8) )
Tall skinny bloke on a gold star. :roll: :roll:

Again, it's a "Nah mate", sorry. SOME of us did turn up there "properly dressed" AND with civilised (i.e. 4-wheeled) transport (even if it was only a 100E banger)!

"properly dressed", "civilised transport", Chelsea Bridge.... Oh Andy, how far can one fall from grace in a single sentence? :roll: :roll: (hammer) (hammer)

Back