multico tenoner spindles; query!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sylvestris

Reaction score
Hello all,
I have acquired a TM 3, the old model with the slide bars arranged vertically. I am in the process of changing the motors for single phase ones.
On stripping the machine I noticed that the spindle thread on the lower spindle was right handed and the top left handed, that is to say both spindle nuts tightened in the same direction as the rotation of the cutter head, this seemed wrong! The machine has been rebuilt before (the bearings were replacements).
Question to anyone who has or has used a Multico tenoner:
Are the spindles in the correct position or have they been transposed?
I am reluctant to try the machine out until I know it's right! I would welcome any advice.

Many thanks

Hello,

I have a TM1, when you say slide bars do you mean the table bars or the main square section that the heads slide on?

On mine they both undo in a clockwise direction - to quote from the instruction manual - Cutter removal instructions -

1. Using the box spanner and tommy bar provided, remove the cutter blocks from the spindles by loosening the nuts in the recesses. It is to be noted that the top spindle has a right hand thread and the bottom spindle a left hand thread.

Cheers, Merlin

Thanks Guys,

It's really good to get a reply from someone with a manual, Merlin.
The slide bars I mean are the table slides, it is I think quite old, I haven't seen many configured that way.

So, according to the manual my machine is wrong, having a right handed thread on the bottom spindle and left on top! As I suspected! This may explain why the guy sold it cheap!

Katellwood, I have seen your restoration post. I studied it carefully before I tackled mine. Nice work. Thanks.

The Multico tenoner is unlike other machines I have used, in that the head is driven directly, being connected to the drive pulley by a pin. So in effect the head/pulley combo turns the spindle. Not the spindle driving the head, as is more usual.
This caused much head scratching (pardon pun!) while trying to envisage the forces involved!
Give it a try, it's fun!!

I would be interested to know what kind of tooling you guys use. Mine came with Leitz blocks. But I have need for scribing heads as most of the framing I make has a molding.

Thanks again.

Back