Multico rip saw table saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

technium

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am still looking for a table saw and have an option of a Multico table saw for £250. Solid machine but doesnt have any extending table etc.

Is this a good buy, and can I change the blades to have more finer teeth rather than big rip blade and also is it still possible to buy bits for these machines?

thanks

Colin

A link to what you are contemplating would be helpful.

I don't know anything about the saw in question, but don't let the lack of extending table put you off, any table saw can have a table placed by the side of it to make an extension, in fact metal tables can be drilled to accept any of the available saw table extensions to bolt onto the side.

Mike

no link just someone has told me about one that is for sale at their work.

Dont have anymore details other than its a heavy cast iron Multico table saw with single phase and rip blade.

Really Im wondering if its a good price decent machine or should I wait and keep saving for the Axminster Aw12 table saw.

thanks

Colin

Their are some on here who would pay a premium for an old heavy cast iron table saw, at £250.00 I don't think you could loose, sell it on at a profit if it does not work out for you.

Be careful if it is that old, it may have a 5/8" arbour rather than the recent industrial standard of 30mm.

Google search: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Multi ... BJMQsAQINA

Mike

A 5/8" Arbour itself is not a problem as this is standard in the USA so plenty of blades available for it, it may even take a Dado if its long enough, IMO horrible things and so wrong to make a trench cut if you have a router table.

Let us all know who you get on.

This one went for over £600.00: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Multico-table ... 7675.l2557

Mike

Actually Im not sure if this saw has tilt?

-I think it depends on the model

worth checking if important, but a very good buy at £250 and Im sure you would get your money back if you upgrade in the future

For bore size, I wouldnt worry either go to a company that can bore your blade for you, or buy a bigger bore and a set of reducers

ok not sure about tilt etc, ive dropped my mate an email to ask.

How much and how easy would it be to change the arbor?

Changing the arbor is a major exercise and often not possible.

See if you can source blades for it before you buy, IMO anything other than a standard European 30mm would drive me nuts, constantly looking for non European, USA 1/4" nuts and bolts is bad enough (bought my own tap and die to address that one) but having to buy all new table saw blades is a no no for me.

Do you have a mitre saw? if so what size blades does it take? the ideal is to have a table saw that takes the same size blades with the same arbor size.

There is always this option: http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-sa ... Gwod67gDkQ

Mike

thanks Mike youve been a great help so think I might pass on this. As you can tell I am a real newbie to all this and I think incorrect arbor sizes etc may just cause more issues.

cheers

Colin

I wouldnt be put off by an unusual arbor size, its a minor point really the reducing bushes work fine on saw blades and if it was a really weird size have a saw blade bored out to a special size is not difficult to do, it would just mean buying some blades from a saw doctor company rather than the screwfix type of box shifter.

A non tilting blade is in my opinion a benefit! The mechanism to tilt the blade can introduce errors when setting it at 90 degrees. The system is far simpler, just a spindle and a couple of bearings. Really easy to get a new spindle machined up by the way!

To machine at an angle......which I hardly ever do, and don't know many people who do unless they are dealing a lot with sheet material, you can simply make a jig. A simple tilting table that slides in the recess makes cutting angled stuff relatively simple. You can screw a jig to the fence for long thin stuff to hold the material and tilt the fence.

It's not too difficult to adapt a Sedgwick sliding table to fit most machines, and equally their out feed tables can easily be adapted to any saw that you can tap a hole into the edge of the top.

ok thanks deema.

I will have a think about it and see how I feel about it later, id definately prefer a heavy duty older machine over a new one.

technium":d6sm7g6h said:
ok thanks deema.

I will have a think about it and see how I feel about it later, id definitely prefer a heavy duty older machine over a new one.

I have to ask why?

Mike

MikeJhn":3brx1xq3 said:
technium":3brx1xq3 said:
ok thanks deema.

I will have a think about it and see how I feel about it later, id definitely prefer a heavy duty older machine over a new one.

I have to ask why?

Mike

No real reason, I just think the older solid cast iron machines are built to last unlike the newer stuff these days. Im sure people are going to say thats rubbish but as I have no experience of either I just thought that would be the case, also the older machines I could probably pick up cheaper than the more modern equivalent.

From what I gather on here the older machines have even worse dust extraction than the more modern units, that's if they have any dust extraction at all, and the same goes for blade crown guards on some, there was one post on the revered Wadkin that said the dust extraction was an Apprentice that was sent under the machine with a shovel at the end of the week, these things where made in very dark times in the scheme of things and the thought of looking after the Health of the operator just did not cross the mind of the manufacturer/employer, just glad I have lived to see a more enlightened time.

Mike

Not sure which Multico you have been offered, however, the 14" blade version is a superb machine, you can use a smaller blade into it (there are limits in how small due to the increased speed of the teeth the smaller the blade) and they come in single Phase versions. Machines with a sliding table have been advertised on eBay in the last 3 months for c £500.

I orefer to buy machines that haven't been renovated and are in original condition. You can see how much of a hard life they have had / abuse they have suffered. Equally I like them to look their age.

There simply isn't any comparison between a vintage machine and a modern machine with a few modern exceptions e.g. Sedgwick.

Fences are rock solid, the weight reduces any vibration, they are superbly accurate once setup and keep the accuracy with out any need to 'tweak'. They simply don't wear out and are easy to maintain.

Back