Multi Tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodenstx

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to get a "new" multitool as the one I borrowed from my Dad has gone back to him/other parts of the family.
It was a Workz thing from the likes of B&Q or somewhere, it wasnt too bad although fairly noisy and the bits were poo....

Is it worth spending say £100-120 on an entry level Fein with minimal bits (like this http://www.its.co.uk/pd/FMT250-Fein-FMT ... 0START.htm ) or a Makita for similar money with more bits but has the added bonus if tool lees change ( http://www.its.co.uk/pd/TM3010CK-Makita ... 3010CK.htm)
Or even the Bosch ones for around the same price from ITS / Screwfix etc...
I dont think we would benefit from it being cordless, so thats not an issue.
also worth noting that the Mrs will be using it at first for the stripping and sanding of the stairs woodwork. While my use will go from sanding to wood trimming to cutting rust bolts from cars :lol:

OR is it a case of get a £50 special and spend the same again on bits?

I've had a Bosch GOP 250 CE for a few years, cost about 70 quid in one of Screwfix's deals, great tool.

(The Fein is cheaper at ToolStop - £109 against ITS £120)

You didn't mentioned it, but the green DIY-rated Bosch makes a hell of a racket so I'd avoid that particular one myself. The blue Bosch professional GOP250 is pretty good for the price, but if you intend to use the tool a lot then a tool-less blade changing system would be advantageous.

I own a flooring company in aberdeen. We often have to undercut big old pitch pine moldings and skirtings. Maybe 20m in your average room about 3/4 thick using a multitool without stopping.

Weve gone through quite a few of the fein machines. The older ones were better.. The new ones burn out. They just cant handle it. On top of that the new machine with its anti-vibration gives it poor accuracy. Plunge it into some oak and. the blade wanders all over the place.

Anyway, i bought a worx f30 from argos to cover while a fein was away for repair. From the moment i plunged it into the wood i couldnt believe the difference. Its a beast. It loves to be pushed and has 4° of oscillation making it cut faster than any other machine id ever used. I used it for around 8 months and when it dodnt break down after the abuse i gave it i got the worxf50.. 5° oscillation. More than any other multi tool on the market and to my mind the best you can buy.

Look at the videos on youtube of how fast it cuts. Might be under the brand rockwell

Fein will have to come out with something impressive for me to go back to them

well thats interesting....

The info I've read, claims that the smaller oscillation is better, but I guess a wider osciallation will give a faster cut/less clog on sanding.... off to look at Worx stuff :D

Dont know who would claim less oscillation is better. Its the cheap machines that have a poor angle of oscillation and woeful cutting ability. Its also one of the things fein boast about with their machines...The next closest machine to the worx f50 is the fein supercut with 4°

Ive tested a few machines side by side and the f50 blows the rest away.

+1 for Mark A's comment about the green DIY multi tool. I have one and it's very good, & does all I throw at it, BUT it's also VERY VERY noisy and vibrates a helluva lot.

I've tried the Fein at a local DIY store demo and it's a LOT quieter and gives a LOT less vibration than the green Bosch. But I bought the Bosch green, simply because at the time the Fein was getting on for 75% higher price than the green Bosch, so I can't comment on the longevity of the Fein.

The Fein is made here (Switzerland) while the Bosch green is made in China but has done me well (hobbyist/DIY-er).

AES

I've got a blue Bosch GOP cordless (10.8V). It's been worked pretty hard and I'm very pleased with it.

It gets through batteries fast, but there's a temptation to run it far too fast (took me a while to realise this!). I have found the slowest speed that's still effective usually the best. Too fast, and toothed blades rub on the workpiece and dull very quickly. These things aren't magic - you really need to arrange a method of clearing the dust or grindings you create otherwise expect poor performance.

I use the straight carbide-grit-tipped blades from Saxton (I don't think there is a Bosch equivalent), for trimming the holes for electrical boxes in brickwork, and cleaning out between bricks for repointing, and it's VERY good for the job. I also use it a lot for sanding. Again slow speed with DX is a must or be prepared to waste a lot of pads!

I'm happy, despite the 'short' battery life: I cycle through three batteries, which gives me several hours of running time, and not having a cord more than makes up for it.

I've also had it apart to grease the gearbox - it's quite robustly made inside, with strong metal parts and bearings.

I got a bosch GOP250 second hand from ebay, its been brilliant. Get a multipack of all the different blades from saxton and you won't get caught out needing one!

I might be taken out back and shot for this suggestion but think about getting one from Lidl or Aldi, the one I have is loud enough that I prefer to plug my ears when using it for any length of time but apparently some of the name-brand ones aren't any better 8) They're are also a pretty good source for packs of blades.

+1 for Aldi/Lidl as a source of cheap multi tool blades - not brilliant, but having due regard to the low cost, well worth it (for the hobbyist) IMHO.

AES

After much deliberation over the weekend I wound up with the Worx F30 from hoembase as it was "down" from £99 to £60 something. Which made is man maths sensible to buy some wireless controlled lighting starter kit :lol:

Its reasonable, tool free change and not overly noisy compared to others. The worst noise IMHO is from the cutting itself which no tool will fix.
Also grabbed the box of bits from ITS for £25, they seem great quality and in a nice tub :D

Back