MR MDF

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip shop

Established Member
Reaction score
What are people paying at the moment?

I need a pack of 18mm and a pack of 6mm for a run of cab doors. Just got a rough internet price and it made my eyes water.

Cheers,

Ed.

Just bought 20 sheets of 18mm MRMDF for £21.60 inc vat each from Travis Perkins. Not bought any 6mm in a while though so not sure of price for that.

Just bought 20 sheets of 18mm MRMDF for £21.60 inc vat each from Travis Perkins. Not bought any 6mm in a while though so not sure of price for that.
That is pretty amazing given their quoted price of £60.60! Moisture Resistant MDF Lite 2440mm x 1220mm x 18mm
I bought just 2 sheets and thought I was OK at £43 each.
Are we talking about the same thing here? The link describes MDF Lite(?), but my invoice describes Caberwood MR MDF Trade with the same product number.

(I do find it offputting having to scrape and grovel for a discount - the builders merchant world Is like the Wild West.)

Cheers

That's remarkably cheap for mrmdf. Even lower than I saw it before covit hit iirc which was about £35 for a sheet of 18mm Medite.

Sorry just realised that £21.60 was 12mm, the 18mm was £30 inc vat.🙈 That's what I get for checking my emails before 7am 😆

Removed the quote so I dont get in trouble with the boss.....

Last edited:
yep - the same product code - 51% discount - OK you bought 20 (although the quote says 1) - I got about 28.5% buying 2 sheets.

As a small buyer, I wouldn’t expect the same discount as a major account, of course.

I guess a large part of the whole discount structure seems to rest on tradesmen charging the end customer full price and keeping the discount - I don’t actually have a problem with tradesmen charging a margin for the effort/admin/financial risk etc etc of doing all the buying, but, even as a man of the world, I think it is very difficult to feel comfortable buying from these merchants.

Cheers

I think it is very difficult to feel comfortable buying from these merchants
I agree. I hate the feeling of them looking you up and down to see how much they can rip you off by. I remember wanting to buy a tap from a plumbers merchant years ago where they told me they would knock 17.5% off the very expensive price and then proceeded to tell me it was plus VAT (17.5% at the time). What a bargain! I prefer buying wood from the old fashioned hardware shop locally as everything is priced up and is fairly reasonable. It's a shame that their range of sheet goods is fairly small

Sean

I just got some MR MDF prices from Lavers who I normally find okay but got a shock

6mm £30.10 + VAT

18mm £56.15 + VAT

22mm £78.40 + VAT 😮

The quote shows that it's only applicable in Porthmadog, which is North Wales. If I was buying 10 sheets or so, it would be worth hiring a van and picking it all up. £60 from my local Travis

The quote shows that it's only applicable in Porthmadog, which is North Wales. If I was buying 10 sheets or so, it would be worth hiring a van and picking it all up. £60 from my local Travis

That quote MUST have been an error at the TP branch? Even before prices sky-rocketed recently that wasn't a price that I ever saw.

I agree. I hate the feeling of them looking you up and down to see how much they can rip you off by. I remember wanting to buy a tap from a plumbers merchant years ago where they told me they would knock 17.5% off the very expensive price and then proceeded to tell me it was plus VAT (17.5% at the time). What a bargain! I prefer buying wood from the old fashioned hardware shop locally as everything is priced up and is fairly reasonable. It's a shame that their range of sheet goods is fairly small

Sean
I recall, back in the day, when I earned a crust repairing domestic appliances, I was at the well known local wholesalers waiting for my order to be processed when a member of the public came in pleading for help. He was in need of a new pump for his washing machine. A figure of £80 was mentioned and the Director who served him said “you are in luck, we have them on special offer at the moment at £27.50p”. I stood there gobsmacked knowing that I was being charge £5 for the same pump!

I recall, back in the day, when I earned a crust repairing domestic appliances, I was at the well known local wholesalers waiting for my order to be processed when a member of the public came in pleading for help. He was in need of a new pump for his washing machine. A figure of £80 was mentioned and the Director who served him said “you are in luck, we have them on special offer at the moment at £27.50p”. I stood there gobsmacked knowing that I was being charge £5 for the same pump!
Practise like that is up there with getting managers specials on double glazing, just 50% off! How many people have been ripped off and paid full price with that chestnut.

Back