Moxon Vice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmyhenson

Established Member
Reaction score
Having dropped enough hints in the run up to Christmas my wife got me a voucher for Fine-tools shop in Germany. With this I treated myself to Benchcrafted's moxon vice kit.
I bought the maple (1 board 12' x 7" x 2"). I needed a bit more but this was their longest board so I decided to use a few off cuts of whatever was in the workshop. For the support behind the lower fixed jaw I used ash and for the bench supports I used beech.
I wanted to make it with the bench attached as I don't have my own workshop and this would be a portable workbench. I have yet to finish it, I was thinking of using a hard wax oil. Any suggestions on alternative finishes?
securedownload (5).jpg

securedownload (4).jpg

securedownload (3).jpg

securedownload (6).jpg

securedownload.jpg

securedownload (2).jpg

securedownload (1).jpg

Thanks
Jimmy

Attachments

• securedownload (5).jpg
    securedownload (5).jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 1,114
  • securedownload (4).jpg
    securedownload (4).jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 1,114
  • securedownload (3).jpg
    securedownload (3).jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 1,114
  • securedownload (6).jpg
    securedownload (6).jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 1,114
  • securedownload.jpg
    securedownload.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 1,114
  • securedownload (2).jpg
    securedownload (2).jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 1,114
  • securedownload (1).jpg
    securedownload (1).jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 1,114
There are a few homemade versions popping up recently, if you follow the download plan from benchcrafteds website and get a piece of suede for the moveable jaw you could make one for small money. The normal threaded bar will be slower to move but for the likes of dovetails you won't be moving it very far anyway. They are very useful, I have 600mm between the bars and the raised height is great for sawing and pairing.

I've made my own using a thread kit from Axi. As long as you've got a lathe and can turn to a regular cylinder, the mechanics are pretty straightforward. The biggest cost in mine was the beech for the cheeks, which you could make far more cheaply.

Back