Moxon vice cost?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackbulldog

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to install a moxon vice into my bench and have started looking around at hardware.

Don't want to/can't spend too much so been looking around and found the wdscomponents one for around £65.

I'm wondering if I could buy the components for less - don't even know where to look for components at the minute - or is that about the lowest price I'll find?

Thanks in advance.

I think of a Moxon vice as being clamped to the bench rather than built in (one of the key points is to raise working height) but nevertheless...

Sounds like a reasonable deal for the hardware. Yes you could improvise for less using standard studding and so on but it won't be Acme threaded and a lot slower threaded. For the time saved both in sourcing and in use I wouldn't be tempted to do it on the cheap except with the very tightest of budgets.

Threaded rod, washers and bolts (M20?) are cheap and readible available locally (washer 18p, nut 36p and threaded rod £6.90 for 1m. Prices from local builder merchant yesterday. Handles to fit are the bits that cost the most....Just be aware threaded rod might be different to ACME threads on more exotic offering. A wood thread cutter to make your own all wood stuff would be a similar price....

edit: what ajs said!

I have one of the WDS Component Moxon Vice kits. The part quality is good IMO, though I have to admit to have not used them yet (on my TODO list). Other kits look to have wheels rather than the Double Ball Handles in the kit, and accessories such as adhesive backed leather for the jaws. But I couldn't find any other kits around this price.

I have one of the WDS Component Moxon Vice kits. The part quality is good IMO, though I have to admit to have not used them yet (on my TODO list). Other kits look to have wheels rather than the Double Ball Handles in the kit, and accessories such as adhesive backed leather for the jaws. But I couldn't find any other kits around this price.
Is it acme thread or standard M20?

Is it acme thread or standard M20?
M20 according to the specs.

The Moxon Vice Hardware Kit with Ball Handles Kit Includes:
2 x M20 Cast Iron Double Ball Handles
2 x M20 Mild Steel Threaded Bar, cut to length (L)
4 x M20 Mild Steel Nuts, Blackodised
4 x M20 Mild Steel Washers, Blackodised, surface hardened

I made this one for nothing.
IMG_1678.JPGIMG_1676.JPG
As ajs said they are better made to clamp on top of the bench than being built in. The point being to raise the work to a more comfortable working height.
Regards
John

I built one using the wds kit linked above, cannot fault the kit, top quality, and it's always in use in my shed clamped to my mft top

I think of a Moxon vice as being clamped to the bench rather than built in (one of the key points is to raise working height) but nevertheless...

Sounds like a reasonable deal for the hardware. Yes you could improvise for less using standard studding and so on but it won't be Acme threaded and a lot slower threaded. For the time saved both in sourcing and in use I wouldn't be tempted to do it on the cheap except with the very tightest of budgets.

Here is a small travel bench I made for demos at woodshows. The idea is to place in on a table and use it as a workbench. The double screw vice on the side is also a Moxon. It uses steel thread (3/8" I think), with the nuts inserted into the side of the bench ...

8.jpg

You can see the screw rod below ... it is basic screw rod. Works a treat.

2a.jpg

The alternative is to make your own with a cheap screw box ...

MoxonDovetailVise_html_m5d1eb859.jpg

MoxonDovetailVise_html_57a8f820.jpg

ModsfortheMoxon_html_7ad02ebc.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Wow!

I bought a pre-made one from workshop heaven and just went and had a look at the price.....it has doubled in under four years!!

I can see why you want to save and try to make one yourself.

Here is a small travel bench I made for demos at woodshows. The idea is to place in on a table and use it as a workbench. The double screw vice on the side is also a Moxon. It uses steel thread (3/8" I think), with the nuts inserted into the side of the bench ...

8.jpg

You can see the screw rod below ... it is basic screw rod. Works a treat.

2a.jpg

The alternative is to make your own with a cheap screw box ...

MoxonDovetailVise_html_m5d1eb859.jpg

MoxonDovetailVise_html_57a8f820.jpg

ModsfortheMoxon_html_7ad02ebc.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek
Looks great but I'm not convinced I'll ever be able to gather the necessary mental and physical resources to be able to create such a thing.

My original plan was to mount it on top of the bench. Then I watched some David Barron videos and thought ... that looks good. I think I'll give it a go as a built in and see how I get on with it.
Thanks.

One thing I don't like about the moxon vices I've seen is the studding sticks out and doesn't move. I'd rather the studding screw in when you tighten so it is out of the way.

I built a classic leg vice using the screw gear from a car jack. It works fantastically well. I was thinking of doing similar for a moxon/end vice. The thread size is not normally very big so I ran it in the centre of a piece of chromed tube so it slides really nicely and if i drop my workpiece on it it doen't damage the wood the same as a threaded bar would.

Scrap yards are full of old jacks. If you have a welder and a grinder its pretty easy

My original plan was to mount it on top of the bench. Then I watched some David Barron videos and thought ... that looks good. I think I'll give it a go as a built in and see how I get on with it.
Thanks.

I have been using Moxon vices for many years ... I've cut many dovetails for many years. As a result of this, I am at pains to advice all NOT to either build a "Moxon" (it is a double screw vice and not a Moxon) into the skirt of a bench. Also do not build a table behind the vice.

Why? Because ... when one transfers tails to the pin board, and the top of the pin board lies flush with the chop, the knife used to score the marks will slice into the chop and eventually mark it up terribly. Being careful will not prevent this.

It is the reason why the pin board needs to be lifted above the chop. And to do this, I use a spacer on the chop. Eventually, I built the spacer into the back of the Moxon. This is seen in the last of my photos in my earlier post.

My current Moxon vice, which I nicknamed "The Last Moxon Vice" (meaning the last one I shall build), takes this a step further.

The-Last-Moxon-Vise2-html-7dc7c35.jpg

The spacer is at the rear ...

TheLastMoxonVise2_html_mb3c51be.jpg

... and folds down when not in use (such as when sawing). You want the boards as low as possible when sawing to reduce any vibration.

TheLastMoxonVise2_html_22acd585.jpg

One could just use the spacer to raise the work and transfer marks ...

TheLastMoxonVise2_html_75ada85.jpg

But, especially with wider boards, the spacer has a built-in track to clamp down the tail board to make marking more secure ...

TheLastMoxonVise2_html_1ff98093.jpg

TheLastMoxonVise2_html_m240a82df.jpg

Other details include rubberised cork inside the chop ...

TheLastMoxonVise2_html_m36f01ea.jpg

... and springs inside ...

Moxon-spring4.jpg

The idea for springs came from David Barron, but I have used triangular types (rather than the parallel type David used), as these collapse into themselves to close up.

Moxon-spring2.jpg

As you loosen the wheels, the chop opens up ...

Moxon-spring3.jpg

A photo of this Moxon vice was published by Fine Woodworking Magazine a few editions ago.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I have been using Moxon vices for many years ... I've cut many dovetails for many years. As a result of this, I am at pains to advice all NOT to either build a "Moxon" (it is a double screw vice and not a Moxon) into the skirt of a bench. Also do not build a table behind the vice.

Why? Because ... when one transfers tails to the pin board, and the top of the pin board lies flush with the chop, the knife used to score the marks will slice into the chop and eventually mark it up terribly. Being careful will not prevent this.

It is the reason why the pin board needs to be lifted above the chop. And to do this, I use a spacer on the chop. Eventually, I built the spacer into the back of the Moxon. This is seen in the last of my photos in my earlier post.

My current Moxon vice, which I nicknamed "The Last Moxon Vice" (meaning the last one I shall build), takes this a step further.

The-Last-Moxon-Vise2-html-7dc7c35.jpg

The spacer is at the rear ...

TheLastMoxonVise2_html_mb3c51be.jpg

... and folds down when not in use (such as when sawing). You want the boards as low as possible when sawing to reduce any vibration.

TheLastMoxonVise2_html_22acd585.jpg

One could just use the spacer to raise the work and transfer marks ...

TheLastMoxonVise2_html_75ada85.jpg

But, especially with wider boards, the spacer has a built-in track to clamp down the tail board to make marking more secure ...

TheLastMoxonVise2_html_1ff98093.jpg

TheLastMoxonVise2_html_m240a82df.jpg

Other details include rubberised cork inside the chop ...

TheLastMoxonVise2_html_m36f01ea.jpg

... and springs inside ...

Moxon-spring4.jpg

The idea for springs came from David Barron, but I have used triangular types (rather than the parallel type David used), as these collapse into themselves to close up.

Moxon-spring2.jpg

As you loosen the wheels, the chop opens up ...

Moxon-spring3.jpg

A photo of this Moxon vice was published by Fine Woodworking Magazine a few editions ago.

Regards from Perth

Derek
That's a really nice idea. Kind of an extension of the dovetail alignment board. Thanks, you've inspired me to give it a go!

Back