Moxon benchtop bench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MickCheese

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi

Made this over the weekend.

I needed a small benchtop bench, probably didn't need it but wanted one. What I didn't want was to pay out for the Benchcraft kit so I had a look around and on here someone mentioned Cider Press screws and they provided a link.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000DD353/ref=pe_385040_30332200_pe_309540_26725410_item

Two of them with postage cost me £30.52 and arrived within two days.

PressScrew.jpg

I had some reclaimed office desk legs that I got from a skip when they were being chucked away, having cleaned them up it turned out they were Beech.

The bench top is 600mm by 275mm and the vice jaws are 100mm high.

I was going to do a WIP but got carried away and was too far into it when I remembered I was going to do it, sorry. :oops:

This was intended to be a mock up but came out rather well so as it's just workshop stuff not fine furniture I will use this.

I did make some errors. One was I drilled the holes for the screw threads using a brace and bit, should have used my Morticer with a drill chuck in it as they are not exactly parallel to the floor.

I used 22mm Hep2o water pipe to line the screw holes as the internal diameter was just right for the external diameter of the screws.

I need to embed two large washers into the front jaw to give the screw handles something solid to bear on so it doesn't start to eat into the jaws as I tighten. I've got the washers just need a drill bit large enough to enlarge the holes. I may line the jaws with something soft like condeesteso did in his thread that I took a lot of info from so thanks for that.

So here are some pictures.

IMG_0300.JPG

IMG_0302.JPG

IMG_0303.JPG

IMG_0305.JPG

IMG_0306.JPG

As you can see from the photo's, I did away with the press ends and just embedded the nuts in the bench rear jaws, I needed to double up the thickness of the rear jaws as the nuts are quite deep, it was here where more accurate drilling would have made things a bit easier as just a small bit off over the 50mm makes a difference.

The main thing is it works and does not need much pressure, I think lining the jaws will reduce the tendency to mark the work so that is on my list, will look for some leather offcuts. (Now where did the wife put that coat she hasn't worn in ages?) :twisted:

As always interested in your views, I am sure it will make hand cutting dovetails a little easier from now on.

PS. The mortice you can see in one of the legs was just left over from the desk legs and as I said it was supposed to just be a mock up.

Mick

Attachments

• PressScrew.jpg
    PressScrew.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 1,360
  • IMG_0300.JPG
    IMG_0300.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 1,360
  • IMG_0302.JPG
    IMG_0302.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 1,360
  • IMG_0303.JPG
    IMG_0303.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 1,360
  • IMG_0305.JPG
    IMG_0305.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 1,360
  • IMG_0306.JPG
    IMG_0306.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 1,360
Nice job. Much more sensible price than the Benchcrafted stuff (which is nice, but eye-wateringly expensive).

+1 - very practical.

I think a good source for a suitable quantity of jaw lining leather could be a chamois window leather, or even a chamois substitute one.

Latest posts

Back