moving advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merman

Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone
hoping for some general advice here
may be common sense to some but it's just not coming to me...

Bought a lathe [auction] pretty much the same as the warco wm250 +/- Dimensions L x W x H 1120 x 585 x 500mm, Weight 125kg

I thought i could get a pallet company to uplift/deliver for me but they can't put it on a pallet [they can supply the pallet but can't lift anything over 25kg

Landylift is covering 300 miles at the moment, I'm in Glasgow the lathe's in Cornwall

All I need is a couple of guys to lift it onto a pallet and i can get the pallet company to uplift. For the life of me I don't know how to go about this...

I thought of something like "guy with a van"

any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated
thanks for taking the time to read over

Did you buy it from a proper established auction house? Won't they help - or do they just want it off the premises?

Otherwise - there do seem to be a lot of Cornish members on here.....

Did you buy it from a proper established auction house? Won't they help - or do they just want it off the premises?

Otherwise - there do seem to be a lot of Cornish members on here.....
Thanks for the reply. Proper auction site but believe it's coming straight from the person's house. So no one there able to lift it...

Perhaps try a different pallet company, as their lifting limits seem
a tad ridiculous.
Perhaps a couple of forum members could meet up and put it on the
pallet, then have a couple of beers bought for them in the local
hostelry.
Where is it in Cornwall ?

a tad ridiculous.
hostelry.
Thanks, it all become quite involved quite quickly. Most companies wouldn't even supply a pallet and the one company I found that would brings it at the collection time and won't lift anything over 25kg

Its in Newquay, Cornwall

a tad ridiculous.
hostelry.
Sound like a brilliant plan...

you need an engine hoist

It would need a mighty long arm on it to reach from Glasgow to Newquay.

---

It is difficult to understand the expectations the OP seems to have in this case. A pallet company or courier drives to the consignor's designated collection spot in their vehicle, loads the prepared, packaged and documented item into the vehicle and sends it on the first leg of its journey to the consignee.

A (long distance) removals company might be a more appropriate service provider. A lathe is certainly easier than a piano.

Good afternoon everyone
hoping for some general advice here
may be common sense to some but it's just not coming to me...

Bought a lathe [auction] pretty much the same as the warco wm250 +/- Dimensions L x W x H 1120 x 585 x 500mm, Weight 125kg

I thought i could get a pallet company to uplift/deliver for me but they can't put it on a pallet [they can supply the pallet but can't lift anything over 25kg

Landylift is covering 300 miles at the moment, I'm in Glasgow the lathe's in Cornwall

All I need is a couple of guys to lift it onto a pallet and i can get the pallet company to uplift. For the life of me I don't know how to go about this...

I thought of something like "guy with a van"

any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated
thanks for taking the time to read over

Try either of these, they may be able to help with either just the lift to pallet or the whole thing

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-15 at 08-19-44 Newquay Facebook.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-15 at 08-19-44 Newquay Facebook.png
    795.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2023-06-15 at 08-19-14 Facebook.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-15 at 08-19-14 Facebook.png
    55.5 KB · Views: 0
Thanks, it all become quite involved quite quickly. Most companies wouldn't even supply a pallet and the one company I found that would brings it at the collection time and won't lift anything over 25kg

Its in Newquay, Cornwall
Damn, I was in Newquay two weeks ago on holiday with 3 strapping stepsons. Problem is 25kg is maximum recommended lifting for 1 person and it would need to be a big pallet for a lathe I’m guessing. Could be lifted by levering and packing to get the pallet under and I reckon the members in that area is a good plan and then a trip to the pub.
Regards,
Dave

Damn, I was in Newquay two weeks ago on holiday with 3 strapping stepsons. Problem is 25kg is maximum recommended lifting for 1 person and it would need to be a big pallet for a lathe I’m guessing. Could be lifted by levering and packing to get the pallet under and I reckon the members in that area is a good plan and then a trip to the pub.
Regards,
Dave
dang, and i need to check the lathe dimensions again to make 100% sure it'll fit, thanks for the heads up

put an advert on shiply - leave it a few days for people to make their best offers, don't just accept the first one. Suspect moving it is going to cost more than the lathe is worth!

Try a machinery mover near the lathe, or even furniture removals. I got a 350kg Tom Senior mill lifted from someone’s garage in Southampton and brought to Inverness.

First stage was Phill Bascombe transport (very good) who rolled it out and lifted onto a small hiab pickup. He took it to his yard, plonked it on a supplied pallet and strapped up, all for £240.

Speedshift pallets then shipped from his yard in Dorset to Inverness for £120.

Once it’s on a pallet, shipping is cheap and easy.

Ps, I’ve tried the likes of Shiply multiple times, and only ever got very enthusiastic but completely ridiculous quotes.

Last edited:
Try a machinery mover near the lathe, or even furniture removals. I got a 350kg Tom Senior mill lifted from someone’s garage in Southampton and brought to Inverness.

First stage was Phill Bascombe transport (very good) who rolled it out and lifted onto a small hiab pickup. He took it to his yard, plonked it on a supplied pallet and strapped up, all for £240.

Speedshift pallets then shipped from his yard in Dorset to Inverness for £120.

Once it’s on a pallet, shipping is cheap and easy.

Ps, I’ve tried the likes of Shiply multiple times, and only ever got very enthusiastic but completely ridiculous quotes.

thanks guineafowl21 [any south african connections there?]

Couldn't find machinery movers but contacted furniture removers and a a few haulage. No one able to help
I did try shiply, the quotes came in hard at the beginning then stopped
I also tried the two companies that whatknot kindly shared the contact details of, nothing
I've tried haulage firms, furniture removers, man with a van, shiply, local tool hire companies, nothing

would there be any milleage in asking, if what Stanleymonkey mentioned previously about there being a few members from this community in Cornwall, if I could make an offer to pay a member to help out?

Back