Moving advice please. (Workshop)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary

Established Member
Reaction score
I am soon to be moving house and need some advice with the workshop move.
I have the usual associated items, table saw, band saw, planer etc along with numerous hand tools.
I know a number of you have moved and posted such threads in the past, correct me if I'm wrong but Philly moved some time ago and I think he had retained every hand tool box.
Unfortunately I have not kept any of the original packaging for any of my tools.
What is the best way to pack and move my beloved tools?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Gary you could always give them to me and then buy some new ones when you move, this will cetainly save all the worry about damaging them. :lol:

Seriously I would wrap them all in bubble wrap, IMHO as you do not have the boxes they came in, this would be your best option.

Cheers

Mike

What did you say Martin? Hold on a minute "HEY GARY I'LL HAVE 4 SUGARS IN MINE" Now Martin you were saying............. :lol:

Cheers

Mike

As well as wrapping them in bubble wrap what about carrying your most beloved hand tools (or the very best ones at least)with you in the boot of your car, that way you know they are safe.

Cheers

Mike

Bubble wrap is very bulky. I have moved many times and always used newspaper with very little damage to anything. You don't need massive amountsjust a couple of sheets for most things, wrapped a couple of times round an object. Pack wrapped items in smallish cardboard boxes (large ones soon get too heavy to lift if they are full of iron!)

Gary,

I carefully oiled and wrapped all my edge tools and carried them with me, but I my case that was only 1 large box, I think Philly filled a whole van :lol:

My table saw I dismantled, oiled and greased and carefully wrapped and with dust sheets and old blankets.

I found the biggest problem was which wood to keep and what to throw. In the end because it made no difference to the storage or delivery price I got the removal company to pack just about every last scrap and off cut.

Hope your move goes well

Andy

Gary, i'd go with newspaper too unless something is very delicate. as far as boxes go, you can't beat banana boxes from the supermarket. just ask nicely and they will put some aside for you. they are far more solid than any other box you can get - not too big with handles that make them easy to carry and you can stack them to the ceiling. when we moved here I think we had around 60 banana boxes (not just for tools I hasten to add) and nothing got damaged in them.

Best of luck

Steve

Gary
No, didn't keep all the boxes! :lol:
I bought some large plastic tubs with lids from B+Q and packed my smaller handtools in these. Everything else went in the 8 tonner truck I hired to move the workshop :roll:
Oh, and make sure you get a truck with a power taillift - makes life a LOT easier!
Good luck
Philly :D

Hi Gary,

There are two things to consider here loss and damage. In theory you should be able to show the movers what you want to move, let them pack it all up and move it while you enjoy a restful and worry free experience... well that what is says in the adverts.

I am not sure that any of us would be happy with that. I always move my own tools in my own long wheelbase Transit. Fine for me but I own a big van. However It my be worth considering Hiring a van as well as the movers to move the tools as well as any other precious items that the family might have.

Years ago when My parents retired and moved to the coast, I hired a van just to move my Fathers record collection. I think it must have been part of the deal otherwise he would probably have stayed where he was rather than let someone else touch his precious records. It did mean that all the worry that inexperienced hands would fall upon the sacred vinyl was averted.

I digress, sorry. Going back to the tools, I find plastic stacker boxes are the best idea for hand tools I bought about twenty from the local ‘Pound’ shop for very little money last time the tools needed moving. They are about the perfect size for hand wools, cans of finish, jigs and all manner of small objects. Having said that, Steve’s recommendation of banana boxes sound good to me.

As far as machines are concerned I usually partially dismantle the big stuff, removing the cast iron slab from the top of a table saw makes a big difference!

If you have a lot of stuff to move, the hire of the van is well worth the expense. However, you will probably find that your tools will not be insured if you leave them unattended in the van an be very careful at service stations especially if the is a marked hire van.

Hope this helps.

Ralph :wink:

Agree with the comments so far - lots of newspaper and lots of parcel tape <should> keep your tools safe.
But one word of warning. Be very careful who you get to do the move, and check out the experience of anyone you can. We moved from Milton Keynes to Aberdeen earlier this year, and thought that using a big national company (Pickfords) would be best. Let's just say, it was not.......... they lost or stole quite a few items, damaged others and were totally unhelpful. The last items arrived over a month late.

Back