Moving a 20ft container

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob

New Luddism. Wake up and resist.
Reaction score
House and workshop move coming up. A 20ft container would be handy but access slightly difficult.
There might just be room to manoeuvre say a 20ft towed trailer but not a crane to get it off and site it.
Could drop it further away - could it be manhandled a few 100 yards (flattish tarmac) with pallet trucks or similar, and several blokes?

They weight circa 2 tonnes. So, if it’s a smooth surface you can jack up a end, pop rollers in and push it around. Two pallet trucks can handle it, one under either end as an alternative.

If you can get a tilt bed truck in they can pull it onto the deck and drive away and slide it off at the destination. Container rental companies use them all the time here. If it is your Sea Can call a towing company and see if they can do it. I'll warn you it is easy to overpack them so they are too heavy to take. The second one I loaded when I moved had the truck's front wheels 4' off the ground when the driver was pulling it on the deck.

A hint. Use lumber stacked on edge between the wall corrugations to separate and hold the load. I piled the goods and placed the boards every 5' or 6' as I loaded.

Pete

Once you fill it, how're you going to get the 10 ton, 20ft container out to where it can be collected ?
Four mates with a forklift apiece and good driving skills ...

Once you fill it, how're you going to get the 10 ton, 20ft container out to where it can be collected ?
Four mates with a forklift apiece and good driving skills ...
I want to move it empty for use as a temporary store while I get a new workshop set up.
Then sell it on, or maybe keep it - would it need planning permission or something?

Scaffold tubes under and a tractor?
How about hiring a site hut like a container but trailerable?

House and workshop move coming up. A 20ft container would be handy but access slightly difficult.
There might just be room to manoeuvre say a 20ft towed trailer but not a crane to get it off and site it.
Could drop it further away - could it be manhandled a few 100 yards (flattish tarmac) with pallet trucks or similar, and several blokes?
You can get wheels that fit into the twist lock fittings but you need it off the ground to fit them but the best way would be a delivery truck with a hiab crane fitted - pretty standard for container delivery company, no more space than the truck itself so long as you have headroom
Bigger issue will be loading once it’s full, wheels will probably sink into your tarmac and if using the hiab it will depend on positioning relative to truck

They’re easy enough with a couple of pallet trucks, empty obviously and on decent ground ! I’ve done it a few times.

You can get wheels that fit into the twist lock fittings... ...no more space than the truck itself ...Bigger issue will be loading once it’s full

Wheels are £300 per corner.

If the truck is taking all the available space, where does it drop the container? You need space for the truck + container. The only time this would not be so is if it is a jack-leg cabin and that is not a container.

You can get towable containers, often labelled as fast tow or site office etc.... or hire one and let the hire company figure out delivery🤷‍♂️

Actually, what about a knock down unit?? Ive got a 10ft that comes apart into 6 galv panels, other sizes available. Easier to open than most shipping containers, which can be pretty stiff.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231022_214005_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20231022_214005_eBay.jpg
    615.4 KB · Views: 0
Actually, what about a knock down unit?? Ive got a 10ft that comes apart into 6 galv panels, other sizes available. Easier to open than most shipping containers, which can be pretty stiff.
That's nothing I have two twenty foot flatpack container offices!🤣🤣🤣 Well our men's shed does! Insulated, Light easy to assemble. Not ultimately as sturdy a container but pretty good not cheap though...

I saw a video once of a chap who bought a 10ft container, cut it up and put it in his transit van. He drove it home and re-assembled it again when he got there..

Latest posts

Back