Move Tormek T7 from US to UK?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colinj11

Reaction score
Hello:

I'm a Brit living in the US, returning to the UK. I have a Tormek T7 which is 110V/60Hz. If I buy a transformer to convert to 220V, will the machine be able to handle the drop to 50 Hz, even though it may run slower? I've read that even though some motors can handle the Hz change, if there are electronics that regulate speed, it is a problem. The Tormek speed is regulated. Thanks in advance for any help.

Welcome to the Forum

Charley did something on this - have a look at the "articles" section on top of this page next to "home" in the red bit.

Not read it myself so I hope it helps?

Rod

You should be able to run it on a yellow builders step down transformer which goes from 240v to 110v. They are easily available. The change from 60 to 50 cycles will give you a minor drop in speed but should not impact speed sensing electronics.

alan

Is the Tormek motor electronic variable speed? If it is, you might have problems - my daughter bought me a 110v US copy of a Dremel, which appears to have electronic speed control and it would not work on my transformer. Thought it must be a dud, but when she took it back home, it worked fine for her on US power. On the other hand, my US-sourced 110V Maculloch chainsaw is fine.

Can't ask the original poster's question, but the comment about variable speed and US -> UK is interesting. Would that likely rule out brining back a US router to the UK/EU?

mrwilby":2gmnl4nd said:
Can't ask the original poster's question, but the comment about variable speed and US -> UK is interesting. Would that likely rule out bringing back a US router to the UK/EU?

Routers have universal motors instead of induction motors. So it's likely that the VS setup will be different.

Kirk

Back