Mothers day present... an oak coffee table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee J

Established Member
Reaction score
Mum had a coffee table that was from Argos or Ikea which was basically chipboard laminate. Over the years it's chipped and scratched and looked tatty.

"I would like a new coffee table, please make me one" was the project brief. She wants a modernish design, but a bit quirky, made from solid oak.

So I cracked on...

Fairly easy start, table is made up of 3 sections. A top, a shelf and an end panel. oh, and a silver leg (I'll explain later)

First up the end panel. Boards glued up and cut down to nearly the correct size, template made from plywood and finished size obtained with a router using a 31mm long flush trim bit with the bearing at the top.

20130305_203940.jpg

Dowel holes were drilled in the ends and I moved onto the shelf...

Once again, boards glued up and planed flat...

20130305_204347.jpg

then I band-sawed the rough shape out and using a template routed to the finished size.

20130306_192546.jpg

20130306_192619.jpg

Finally onto the top. Big heavy lump of oak.

20130307_193914.jpg

Cut out as close as I dare with a jigsaw with a speedwood blade in. Cut through 1 inch oak like a knife through butter...

20130307_195751.jpg

Trimmed to size with a router ( I forgot to photo that bit)

I assembled the pieces and the silver leg. This was a leg that my mum really liked from another piece of furniture. I offered to make a solid oak leg for this new table but she wouldn't entertain it. Sometimes you just have to make things that are not to your own tastes. So here it is, finished by hand down to around 1000 grit and hand waxed.

20130310_171327.jpg

20130310_171258.jpg

20130310_171309.jpg

Nice. Very unique as well.
Trouble is, she will want a new carpet now to get rid of the imprint of the old coffee table! :lol:

bodge":sdg8of00 said:
Nice. Very unique as well.
Trouble is, she will want a new carpet now to get rid of the imprint of the old coffee table! :lol:

good thinking but that was in my living room just after i'd waxed it.

but she likes your thinking...

adzeman":2ezmijbh said:
Love the shape of the top and it works well with the leg. Very nice!

You beat me to it but is that an IKEA leg?

yes it is. it's off another table she used to have. This one has replaced it. She really liked the leg.

Back