Most useless tool/accessory

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wellywood

Established Member
Reaction score
Any nominations for the most useless tool or accessory in your shop?

Mine is drill depth stops. I was bought a set for Christmas and used them for the first time today. There is no way that they can be secured tightly to a drill bit and the damn things vibrated themselves loose (sneakily) so I overdrilled a critical depth. :x

Back to the masking tape.

Rant over.

wellywood":3dv0naf4 said:
Any nominations for the most useless tool or accessory in your shop?

Mine is drill depth stops. I was bought a set for Christmas and used them for the first time today. There is no way that they can be secured tightly to a drill bit and the damn things vibrated themselves loose (sneakily) so I overdrilled a critical depth. :x

Back to the masking tape.

Rant over.
Same here. I have 2 sets, acquired over the years, they're useless apart from on the drill shaft - no use at all on the flutes. As you say - back to the masking tape. :)

I have one of these, which came with a drill set (Colt):
colt_hss-m2_fce_7set_03.jpg

Used upside down it's a good drill stop - doesn't damage the flutes, doesn't slip, but does scuff (polish) the surface slightly. As a countersink it's pretty good, too.

As for useless things, probably my Axminster "professional" router fence* is the worst. It's thick, non-MR faced MDF, and as it lives in a damp garage, it's anyone's guess what shape or thickness it will be at any time I want to use it.

The clamping system is equally useless (all the handles get in each others' way), as are all the adjusters (the square bits aren't) and the dust extraction (it doesn't very well). The mitre fence flaps about in the track, too and isn't square vertically to the table surface:
$T2eC16d,!ykE9s7t)+9gBRZqSN(8DQ~~60_1.JPG

I often resort to a lump of 2x4 and some clamps instead. The table MDF also sags, although the upgrade aluminium router plate is really nice.

Apart from that, it turns on and off really well.

E.

PS: Before anyone starts, yes, it *is* now just annoying enough to make another one.

*to be fair, it was quickly discontinued, and the UJK stuff they sell now is obviously much nicer, albeit a lot more expensive.

The clip in ear defenders that come with a Trend Airshield.

The Airshield is (almost) awesome... A bit top heavy and too noisy to wear for long periods, but very effective. The ear defenders on the other hand are so bad. Really, really so bad. I do not believe it's possible to get them to sit on your ears in such a way to be in the slightest bit effective.

Trend should be ashamed of this product.

A box of 'carpenters' pencils.
Probably only my box but every pencil I`ve tried to sharpen the lead just falls out. Worst thing is I cannot remember where I got them from.

Wall chaser attachment for a power drill - I was give one of these by a former neighbour when he was clearing his shed out, I re-gifted it to landfill shortly after - maybe I just had the wrong type of walls?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfcraft-35100 ... _sbs_diy_1

It clamps onto a standard drill and the skate guides the cutter bit up your wall, to effortlessly create the worst mess I've ever clapped eyes on - it didn't even cut a clean channel.

Latest posts

Back