Most painful mistake??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babylon355

Established Member
Reaction score
Just a thought, how about posting relatively clean stories of any slips or accidents you have had so as to give others here the benefit of your painful experiences?
I reckon it would highlight the errors which we all recognise after the event and hopefully will lead to the rest of us taking note so the same doesn't befall us? No pictures just a few lines about what happened and why along with what you've done as a result?
I had a nasty cut off a Silky saw when I was cutting up some wood before Christmas. I had paid somebody else to do it and they hadn't so I wasn't in the best frame of mind but set about the job and had just about finished. I'd taken my gloves off but had a thought to just cut up a few odd pieces that were slightly too big to go through the shredder and slipped with the saw, going through the top of my left thumb joint below the nailbed. A day at Morriston Hospital with microsurgery left me with 9 stitches and a partially severed tendon. I have learnt from this two things.. Never work with sharp tools when you're in a bit of a mood and ALWAYS wear protective equipment, it's too late once it's happened and it only takes the blink opf an eye to catch you out.

I find that rushing is the biggest cause of cuts and accidents. You're mind is on other things and not focused on what you are doing. I was cleaning up old architrave to put back as the customer had changed their mind from fitting new. I wasn't happy about it and was rushing the clean up (for which I wouldn't get paid).

I was scraping old paint from the edge of the architrave with the side edge of a scraper. The scraper dug in and lifted a large splinter out from the surface, it went into the front pad of my thumb and out the back at the side of the nail. I pulled at it from the direction it had gone in but it broke so I pulled the other end out from the nail side. I cleaned and wrapped it and carried on working. By evening it had gone really manky. I went to A&E and they said it would be impossible to find any fragments inside and gave me a course of antibiotics which cleared up the infection.

NEVER rush! You make a mess of the job and risk your own safety.

Grinding metal in a rush without goggles- never again. Just had my eyes lasered aswell but luckily the metal only scratched it. Alls well now but scared the life out of me for a while.
Not quite what you were asking but theres a pic I saw of tom (aka wizers) finger that had an accident with a router. Every time the motor jolts to start spinning I get a flashing image of his mangled finger.
Scariest thing ive ever had so far is using a router collet extension. Not sure entirely what happened - might have been the wrong speed or worn bearings perhaps, as soon as I turned it on just trying to hold the router was like trying to hold a bucking bronko. Luckily managed to stop the router (after killing it) but the collet extension was bent and kaput. Not something I'll be going out to replace very soon :-?

ColeyS1":75te71bz said:
Grinding metal in a rush without goggles- never again. Just had my eyes lasered aswell but luckily the metal only scratched it. Alls well now but scared the life out of me for a while.
Not quite what you were asking but theres a pic I saw of tom (aka wizers) finger that had an accident with a router. Every time the motor jolts to start spinning I get a flashing image of his mangled finger.
Scariest thing ive ever had so far is using a router collet extension. Not sure entirely what happened - might have been the wrong speed or worn bearings perhaps, as soon as I turned it on just trying to hold the router was like trying to hold a bucking bronko. Luckily managed to stop the router (after killing it) but the collet extension was bent and kaput. Not something I'll be going out to replace very soon :-?

Not sure that collet extensions are supposed to be used on hand held, I thought they were designed for table mounted to give extra height for bit changing?? (Please correct me if I'm wrong). I'd be nervous with one in a hand held. I have one in my table router and it works fine.

Oh..... that might be why then :-(I had the router mounted on an angle and was trying to route a finger pull in a draw front. Its safer to just buy handles now, and less work for the washing machine :lol:

Only a few cuts:-
First one involved a spring. I have a pre-war Startrite pillar drill with a snapped return spring that I could not buy a replacement for. I guillotened a strip of spring steel to width, bent the end over, then re-hardened and tempered the area. Whist coiling it into the carrier it unwound. The razor sharp edge whipped across the top of finger on my left hand cutting to the bone. It stopped bleeding a few hours later.
Second involved sticking my left thumb into a moving bandsaw blade whilst cutting discs for a pupil at school in an after school club and being distracted. A & E terry stripped the flap back and the next day, not being able to use my left hand fully, I got a bollocking from the head for not wearing a tie.
Third and worse one was in the garden on a Saturday morning. Nipped the top 5mm of a finger off whilst pruning. A couple of days later when I could not get the dressing off it was A & E again. They wanted to skin graft the area but I was off the next day with a coach load of pupils on an adventure week. Skin grew back.

What have I learnt?
I do not like the inconvenience of pain.
Most accidents are avoidable.
The worst ones generally happen when you least suspect it. In the workshop we are generally very thoughtful of our actions.

Colin

Hey eribaMotters, you sound like one unlucky fellow.

I caught my left hand on a chainsaw once - luckily (!!) it hit the top of the blade which was moving away from me but still I had a nasty little scratch which needed stitches. I went out and bought a proper pair of chainsaw gloves the following week, and I use them EVERY time I use the chain saw. It was an old saw with no top guard, so I bought a replacement saw too. The thing is, I still can't figure out how it happened - both hands holding the chainsaw handles, then one somehow slips off and contacts the blade.

I also caught a real belt in the stomach from a table saw kickback, nothing serious but very painful and so very quick. I was cutting through two pieces of timber, one on top of the other (Yes, I know now - damn stupid, and I won't be doing that again) and the top one was thrown back at me. It made me realise why goggles should be worn when ripping thin stock - there's an arrow waiting to be fired at me.

Still, I enjoy my woodworking and I have all 8 fingers and 2 thumbs.

K

well the first 7 replies were not turning related which makes me think that turners are a more careful breed :roll: , just a few small things like a bandsaw toppling on top of me as I was carefully moving it ,a lathe that again was being carefully resited getting into a wrestling match with me,which I have to say it won with a submission :shock: .Injuries ? a strip of skin from me knee to me ankle curtsy of the bandsaw ,a wrecked shoulder from the lathe I never forgave it and sold it for a bigger one which managed to pin me down for 5 mins.before I escaped me shoulder doesn't agree with me and lets me know daily. :cry: Lots of small bumps ,bruises ,and scratches but would love to be doing it all over again .
:lol: :lol:

Not wearing safety glasses, in my earlier days as a metal engraver, I stupidly thought the glasses were not needed - they were scratched and hindered my view - silly me, I spent an hour in A&E with my head strapped to a cradle whilst the doctor picked slivers of metal out of my eyeball with a hypodermic needle.

Gary

Hole in plasterboard ceiling abovve lathe tells the story. (Over exuberance with McNaughton centre saver and 20" x 6" blank.)

Missed me but did have to have two cups of tea and several jaffa cakes whilst sitting down inside before climbing back on the horse.

S

Messing around with a former work collegue, I threw a punch (messing around of Course), at the same time he picked up a chesil and it imbedded into my third knuckle on my right hand. The stitches hurt more than the injury....B***ers made me drive to Roehampton Hospital for treatment. They were the days

1 week ago and it still hurts.

At the timber yard asked for some Canadian "hard" maple, approx 9' and 6x1, the stack was 10' high and the forklift was not available so the guy climbed to the top of the stack and started trying to remove the stuck piece of timber, I think his weight was on top of other timbers above this one. I was ready to catch it :)

It finally released from the stack with a good bit of momentum from the throw and the gravity and hit me square on the bloody head. Cripes it hurt like hell, blood everywhere and a visit to their accident book just in case it was worse. Still got a good scab and aching neck.

This is my first woodworking accident, I always knew I would get one but expected it would be at my hand.

Got the timber for free though :) wish I had asked for 18' now.

Was going to say I've not had any accidents involving personal injury with the lathe, but that would just be tempting providence....................

Plenty of other accidents, though. Mostly involving trees, so they could count as woodworking.

Two apprentice joiners where my mate used to work years ago were messing about with a hand axe.

One put his finger laid flat on the bench and dared the other to chop it off.

1st one thought his mate would miss,second one thought the 1st would move his finger.

1st didn't move-second didn't miss!

Both got fired,chargehand got a b*llocking

Don't know if this counts as painfull mistake but just shows if left alone with something sharp some people can't help pratting about

M

There's a photo of mine on here somewhere. Changing the lathe speed one day in midwinter with frozen hands (and whitefinger disease), got the tip of my thumb stuck in the slide for the motor adjustment as the motor thumped down.

Never did find the bit of skin.......

i had 15 years clear of only the odd bump or scratch that we all get. Then Christmas, decided that the sled i use on the router table that would take me 30secs to get was too long and did it by holding with my hand instead. Man versus Router. Router won. I didnt get stitches but i probably should have.

I find if i go into the workshop and i find its just one of those days where everything is not going to work out, i just go back inside. I wish i had done it that day. I now have an inch scar on my right hand on my index finger which now hunts occassionally. I still have feeling so i'm grateful it was just a lesson in life that i can tell and don't have to wear.

Respect every single tool in your shop as they all have the capacity to inflict harm. I also have glasses all over the shop, push sticks dotted all over the shop. So i'm never out of reach from one of the other.

Back