Mortise *or* tenon

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everyone - really helpful.

As I say, I'm still learning and trying to build up slowly with fairly easy projects. I have built a workbench and drawers, a screw-advance box joint jig (from Matthis Wendel's excellent site), and a cyclone... and now hope I have the skills for something inside the house not in the garage! A bed or a blanket box seemed like a good next step!

custard":2ly9haot said:
MattRoberts":2ly9haot said:
I'd always recommend cutting the mortises first, and then cutting the tenons to fit.

The practical problem you run into when hand fitting tenons is this, once the tenon has been cut all the layout lines are lost, so how do you know where to remove material in order to get an acceptable fit?

If I've got too tight a fit, I tend to lightly rub pencil on the tenon, and then try a fit. You can then often see where the pencil is shiny where it has rubbed too hard.

I am, however, definitely a novice compared to you and others on this board when it comes to mortise and tenon joinery, so I'm not for one second suggesting my method is the best! :D

It takes little time to round the corners on a tenon with a rasp to fit. Far less time than to square the corners of the mortise with a chisel.
As to unglued M&T for a knock down I dont think that will last. Will get looser every time it's reassembled. A tusk tenon is designed to be knock down as the wedge is holding things tight but it's only really suited to that old world look
Regards
John

custard":2um9sjsk said:
That certainly accords with the old furniture making advice..."first make the hole, then make the thing that goes into the hole".

The bible, genesis in particular, suggests God did it the other way around.

Paul200":1n67yiqt said:
sunnybob":1n67yiqt said:
I freely admit I'm the worst "joint maker" on this site

Hey! I'll have you know I resemble that remark!

I would really NOT like to see the results of a competition between us! :shock: :shock: 8)

Latest posts

Back