morticers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lord Nibbo

Established Member
Reaction score
Morticers around £300?
We haven't got a list of what forum users own, I'm seriously thinking of upgrading but I really don't want a ton of steel aka wadkin or Multico filling my over full workshop.

So who makes/sells the best at around £300.

Here are three contenders on my short list

Draper 370w 1" Bench Morticer
£291.95 but base is extra £160 at Tooled-Up.com
DRA78943.jpg

Axminster AW19FM Floor Standing Morticer
£299.63 including base
100255_l.jpg

And a little over budget but still in the running
SIP SIP01375 Heavy Duty Morticing Machine
£379.57 at diytools.com
SIP01375.jpg

My guess is the Axminster, but what would you go for?

Bit more money, but if you buy a secondhand sedgwick 571 you'll sell it in 10 years time for the same money, bulletproof.

I think I would choose the Axminster. Looks a bit more substantial than the SIP.

EDIT. My 50th post!!!! I am now officially a woodworker!!

Yes we all know Sedgwick set the standard, but it's over buget. :cry:

Interestingly this is sold under the europac label
7b96_1.JPG

And this one named as a BLYTH SAHARA 2303 Chisel Morticer
mo2303_5.jpg

mo2303_6.jpg

This one is £645.00 I assume vat has to be added.

Can anyone spot any differences beween the europac and the Sahara? I can't

The cheapest Sedgwick I've found is from Scott&Sergent at £850. Yes I know second hand are about but it's finding one thats been looked after well. :cry:

These machines are all clones of the Sedgwick 571.

The patent on the Sedgwick ran out many years ago, so other manufacturers have jumped on the Sedgwick design bandwagon, and the reason why, is simply no one has been able to better the original design concept for a morticer, it's still the best machine out there, that's why every man & his wants to make one cos they sell.

You could get an old batterered one & restore it for little money and it would still give excellent results for years to come, I posted some pics of a restoration on one I did a while back. So don't be put of by a scruffy looking one. They are simply bullet proof.

Another clone make is Kufu, they are even cheaper than the Europac, and the Sahara.

fwiw, I've seen cheaper than Scott & Sargeants Sedgwick price though & they aren't the most helpful friendly retailer you've ever met imho.

I'm in complete agreement with Senior and Felderman. A secondhand 571 is streets ahead of a Chaiwanese machine. As to "I know second hand are about but it's finding one thats been looked after well", it's pretty difficult to damage or destroy a machine as simple as the 571, or it's Multico equivalents the K-1 and M-1 - and these machines are small shop machines and so would rarely ever be seen in a big trade shop (and so would probably be better looked after). There's just so little to go wrong with one that if it is smooth and not siezed or noisy then you're off and running...... Plus a s/hand one will probably come with some decent British or even Japanese chisels not the second-rate tat which appears to come with Chinese machines.

Scrit

Now I am puzzled !!!

Woodford have this machine running on ebay at the moment
7b96_2.JPG

But the Longitudinal Table Movement is quoted as 90MM.

But the identical clones I posted earlier Europac and Blyth quote Longitudinal Table Movement 400mm

Who is wrong?

hi lord nibbo, take a look at db keithley site they sell sedgewick 571 and others at very good prices, and if you go to the shop you can haggle for the best price. i got my kity 419 table saw for £499 brand new 18 months ago, :lol:

I have the Scheppach HMC 25 and I must say it is fantastic. I have used it mainly on hard wood projects and I have absolutely no complaints. It is built solidly and is extremely accurate - making mortices is now a doddle! I got mine from D&M Tools http://www.dmtools.co.uk/ It came with a steel cabinet stand and 4 chisels. It costs £469 inc and if you can stretch your budget then I highly recommend it.

Cheers

Nolan

Is the STARTRITE STM25 HEAVY DUTY MORTICER 240V WITH BASE another Chinese clone of the Sedgwick?
It's HERE click on workshop morticers it's right at the bottom of the page.

At £879 inc vat it's nearly up to a new Sedgwick price though, talking of a new Sedgwick are they made in China also? If they are I might as well go for a clone, or should I ? :?

I've been looking into buying a new morticer and like Lord Nibbo, I can't spot many differences between the Axminster AW19FM, the Fox F14656, the SIP and the Scheppach HCM25. What I would say is that the former 3 models all state clearly in their descriptions that they are capable of cutting a 25mm mortice in softwood. The Axminster, despite being similar in appearance and having the same motor rating only claims to cut a maximum 19mm mortice in softwood.

This might have a bearing on your final selection if you anticipate cutting large mortices. It may be that Axminster are being realistic about the performance of a 1 HP machine and the other 3 contenders slightly optimistic.

The the larger chisel mounting bush on the axminster machine is 13/16th of an inch. Axminster don't appear to stock a 1inch mortice chisel with a 13/16 shank dia.

Lord Nibbo":pqovwqom said:
Now I am puzzled !!!

... the Longitudinal Table Movement is quoted as 90MM ... But the identical clones I posted earlier Europac and Blyth quote Longitudinal Table Movement 400mm

Who is wrong?

Are they using the same term for different axes of movement? Front to back vs side to side?

yes lord nibbo go for it
you wont regret it
try haggling and sympathy vote {pensioner and all that } :-({|=

anyway it looks sufficiently bashed about enough to me :mrgreen:

got mine for 325 after haggling :D
chews through oak like no other

Lord Nibbo":1ws30juo said:
........talking of a new Sedgwick are they made in China also?
No, they are still made in Leeds

Scrit

Back