Morticer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul.V

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've found this ( click here for description )

p1270665_x.jpg

I realise that its cheap, £68.50, likely not very accurate, hasnt got cast iron bed, etc...

however, as i've never used one, i was thinking that its cheap enough to 'play' with and learn before splashing out on a real one.

or should i just buy a real one ?

like this ? ( click here for description )

600531_xl.jpg

my usage will be hobby only, so i dont really need a really big machine, speed is not really that important (i.e. if i have to use a smaller chisel in the cheaper one and it takes twice as long )

Which ones do you have, if any ?

As Mick says, the quality of the chisels is very important here - most people on the forums seem to favour Axminster's Japanese chisels (they're about half the price of the English-pattern ones! :shock:), myself included.

I'd advise you to go for the Axminster machine. Never used one but, it does come with a work-holding clamp that will make a huge difference the accuracy and ease of use. With the Ferm and other models, they provide a hold-down but you still have to use your spare hand to hold the workpiece tight to the fence, which can get quite uncomfortable. :?

Paul,
I have the Axminster one (16BSM, I think ) and agree with other members decent chisels are a must, keeping them sharp I find it breezes through any mortises I need to cut.
the table on the mortiser are superb for movement, giving you approx 4 inches of forward/backward travel and I would say about 7 or 8 inches side to side, larger than any mortise I`m likely to cut.

HTH

I have the little Axminster one too. It is very good and has scope for adjustment of the slides and does grip the work. I would recommend it over the other one for the work vice and cross slide alone. I also recommended it for the college for their school links workshop as they don't need an industrial sized one there.

The only thing I would change is to have a little more downward movement as the 1/4" cutter I have isn't long enough to allow a good grip of the work in the vice once the work has been packed up 28mm for through mortises. But that is a minor point.

TheTiddles":1c9e93nw said:
Tried clamps Olly???

Actually, I've done one better - if you have a look in the Jigs forum, you should be able to find photos of the 'no-clamps' jig I made somewhere, specifically for my Fox mortiser. 8) It also made a very brief appearance in British Woodworking last summer. :wink:

I think clamps are in inconvenience as you'd have to release and then re-tighten them each time you wanted to shift the workpiece from left to right.

OPJ":1s5aop26 said:
I think clamps are in inconvenience as you'd have to release and then re-tighten them each time you wanted to shift the workpiece from left to right.
That is one of the deciding factors in going for the Axminster Mortiser for me.

I did try out a cheap pillar drill mortising attachment with just the retaining fork. It was a pain as it didn't hold the work still, often slipped and allowed chips to fall behind the work pushing the work forward.

I had one of the top image. I got sick and fed up with the chisel never freeing itself from the wood. Might have been the chisels fault. Might not. Anyway...I got rid of it.

I have the cheapo one in SIP brand. Its ok, it does what it says on the tin. Buying again I'd buy a bigger floor standing one for about £300.

OPJ":15fw6y13 said:
TheTiddles":15fw6y13 said:
Tried clamps Olly???

Actually, I've done one better - if you have a look in the Jigs forum, you should be able to find photos of the 'no-clamps' jig I made somewhere, specifically for my Fox mortiser. 8) It also made a very brief appearance in British Woodworking last summer. :wink:

showoff? :p

Chems":sa321rn5 said:
Buying again I'd buy a bigger floor standing one for about £300.
I placed my Axminster one onto a drawered cabinet on casters. The drawers hold all my mortising, boring and routing cutters and all the associated tools.
It makes it convenient to use the mortiser as my pillar drill as I have also got the additional drill chuck with it.

Latest posts

Back