Morticer Help Please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OPJ

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought the 5/8" bench-top Fox mortiser from Rutlands a while back (yes, the one with the rotating headstock) and in preparation to at long last give it its first proper run out, I bought a couple of Japanese chisel and augers from Axminster this week.

Unfortunately, they don't fit. The existing bush supplied with my machine is too small for the diameter of the chisels (which I think is 13/16"?). I also bought one of those 3/4"-13/16" adaptor bushes which Axminster seller, but this only reduces the diameter further.

Does anyone know if it's possibly to buy a bush that'll take Japanese chisels and fit inside my machine nicely? Sorry, I can't remember the exact diameter of the hole in my morticer.

Or am I gonna have to settle for using cheap chisel and bits only?

Thanks, in advance, for your help. :wink:

Olly

Try calling Hamiltons, who are the UK suppliers of the Fox machinery. Their number is 08707 771425 and they should be able to supply whatever is needed.

I've always found them to be very helpful

Roger

Thanks Roger, I'll give that a try.

I've also spoken to Byron, should this not work, who suggests I could try asking a local engineering firm to make one up for me. He used to own the same machine and this is a piece of advice he was given, before he sold it.

Back