Mortgage rates / interest etc

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Appalling Farage on R4 this morning. Why do they give him air space - he's not elected by anybody, has nothing interesting to say and is an out-and-out loud mouth racist.
You may not like Farage or his policies, but its a bit cheap to call him a racist just because he opposes unrestrained immigration, you need to do better than that if you want to be taken seriously.

Bad landlords do

These are not good enough reasons to disrupt people's lives. Tenants should not be evicted unless and until they have somewhere equivalent or better, where they would happily go.
No, you are wrong I'm afraid - landlords are not in the business of evicting good tenants for no good reason - there is simply no reason they would do that other than genuine reasons like selling up etc. Even bad landlords will want to hang on to their good tenants. Don't believe all you read in the press, its largely only bad tenants that get evicted.

If a landlord needs to sell or re-occupy his property, then they are two very good reasons to ask the tenants to leave - we do after all still have lawful respect for private property rights, despite the certain sections of societies desire to undermine these bedrocks of civilisation.

Regardless of the causes behind the economic forces driving the illegal cross channel migration.
It has to be curtailed, or the UK as we know it will cease to exist.
I just read a BBC report which graphed the years from 2018
2018 virtually zero.
2019 much the same.
2020 about 9 thou.
2021 about 30 thou.
2022 about 40,000.
This cannot be allowed to continue.
They also had a breakdown of the ethnicities ages and genders of the migrants. It was sadly illuminating.
They are NOT refugees.
They are economic migrants.
They must be stopped.
I do not know how they could be stopped, well I do but it would be offensive to some.
Marcus
To be fair I think these figures relate to those coming by boat. The number has increased dramatically because the jump in the back of a truck option was effectively closed down. The actual numbers overall have not increased appreciably, or hadnt last time I looked. Difference being that when they came by lorry they just got out at a motorway service area somewhere and dissappeared. Only newsworthy when the poor sods died in the back of the lorry. Now most boats are intercepted, so we are seeing the problem much more clearly.

.... we do after all still have lawful respect for private property rights, despite the certain sections of societies desire to undermine these bedrocks of civilisation.
private property rights are not and never have been the bedrock of civilisation.

It's not actually illegal to cross the channel and land in the UK by whatever means.
It is now illegal to cross the channel without making the necessary declarations, it didn’t used to be, the rules change a few years back: you have to pre-advise of your journey. let’s just take private craft, which I think these boats fit into the category of. The requirements are defined here.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/sailing-a-pleasure-craft-that-is-arriving-in-the-uk

How do individuals get to "own" areas of the planet in the first place? I suppose they just seize it and then fight off anyone who disputes their ownership. How would stamp duty work in those circumstances, I wonder?

You may not like Farage or his policies, but its a bit cheap to call him a racist just because he opposes unrestrained immigration, you need to do better than that if you want to be taken seriously.
It is true, however, that he's not elected by anyone, and has nothing interesting to say. Two out of three ain't bad.

private property rights are not and never have been the bedrock of civilisation.
The right to evict without fault was primarily acted upon at the end of the contract, which specifies the duration in which the tenant is able to reside in the property. Now, most buy to let mortgages only allow 12 month contracts, however, there are also private landlords who own their properties. It’s virtually impossible to get tenants to sign up for more than 12 months, in fact most would like a shorter duration. Let’s not forget, that under the present rules if you sign up for say 5 years, you are responsible for paying the rent for 5 years. Thats too long for most people to commit for. A 5 year tenancy agreement is a dream for most private landlords.

Now in the proposed new rules, tenants can give notice at any time irrespective of how long they have signed a tenancy agreement for, I think they will only need to give 1 or 2 months notice. What’s the effect of this? Well, for absolute certain, landlords will increase rents. Why? Well the cost of turnover from one tenant to another is actually very high. As a landlord, you could be faced with turnovers every couple of months. Equally the new rules allow the tenant to have what ever pet they want. so, 26 Great Danes, yep that’s totally allowed, the fact that in general dogs tend to trash a rented property is one of the main reasons most landlords prohibit them at the moment. Cats are just as bad, especially Tom cats. Now, I know the reply will be, that tenants don’t stay for just a couple of months, well, they do, and there is a lot of people who just want a few months rental. People moving homes, contract workers to name but two. There is a market for this type of short term let accommodation, and the rents are a lot higher than ‘long term’ rents. They are generally holiday let’s.

How do individuals get to "own" areas of the planet in the first place? I suppose they just seize it and then fight off anyone who disputes their ownership. How would stamp duty work in those circumstances, I wonder?
Was the preffered method througout most of history. We have just formalised the process as we have become more "civilised". 🙂

It is now illegal to cross the channel without making the necessary declarations, it didn’t used to be, the rules change a few years back: you have to pre-advise of your journey. let’s just take private craft, which I think these boats fit into the category of. The requirements are defined here.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/sailing-a-pleasure-craft-that-is-arriving-in-the-uk
No change there then. Bin there dunnit. Often sat in the boat (Q flag up) waiting for customs officer to arrive, but gave up! In fact I think we only ever saw one once. He got really shirty as the rest of the crew had crept off to the pub and I made a bad taste joke about the immigrants we'd also downloaded. 😂
The current problems are about underfunding (as ever!) and a deliberately hostile policy to immigrants which appeals to a small sector of the electorate and if anything encourages illegality.
World wide migration is the future as climate change kicks in and we are probably only just seeing the beginning. It's a global problem and we need joined up policies with other nations - re-joining the EU would be a good start.

Last edited:
Farage opposes (or supports) whatever he thinks will allow him to separate money from the gullible.

Does he actually personally hold racist views? Evidence of his past would suggest he possibly does, but regardless he's frequently used imagery and words that were likely to stoke related fires - such as the Breaking Point poster ("coincidentally" aping the propaganda of a certain group from the 1930s...)

On a lighter note, and concerning the discussion about average, mean, median etc; it's worth remembering that the average number of legs across the human race is less than 2. So if you have 2 legs, you're above average. Congratulations!

Last edited:
It is true, however, that he's not elected by anyone, and has nothing interesting to say. Two out of three ain't bad.
Not quite - he was elected four times by the people of South East England to represent them in the European Parliament, and on your second point, well that is merely an opinion - one some will share with you, whilst others will disagree.

Mortgage interest relief at source was given too private householders and was abolished. It would seem that private landlords are being put on the same footing as private householders.

Buying Real estate is different to buying chattels or paying for a service. Buying the real estate is a separate operation too letting the property. Subsidising private landlords creates an unfair advantage over private householders as the they have more money to spend on the property.

I would not be surprised if the buy to let market was beginning to throw up some gaming of the tax relief system. My son is going to University, I can afford to buy a flat for him to live in then sell it which would be better than paying rent. You are doing the same thing. Why don't we rent to each others children and claim the tax relief. Then a few years latter oh that worked well we did not have to pay so much why don't we rent our houses out each other.
Where is the subsidy in this? If you buy a house for your son in his name you will not be charged income tax on the mortgage interest or the extra 3% stamp duty, if you buy it in your name and become a landlord you will

I entirely agree with you, however a worrying trend now appears to be emerging of increasing numbers of single young Albanian men. Some of these appear to be expected to repay the criminal gangs who brought them here by becoming forced labour in Cannabis farms and other criminal enterprises.
I'd blame government policy for the illegal drug trade and it's certainly not an exclusively Albanian problem. We need to decriminalise the drug trade, to regulate and tax as has been done successfully with much lethal nicotine.
As for the legitimate refugees, as i understand the situation they are not legally permitted to work until their application has been processed. The government have made such a spectacular balls up of the whole process that many who would doubtless want to work are unable to do so for months on end whilst waiting for their cases to be determined. Hardly their fault.
Absolutely agree.

A point will be reached where due to ineffective control by the government a flashpoint will be reached and we have civil unrest, the people will demonstrate there feelings and this will be made worse by the fact we are in an economic crisis and worrying about food and heating whilst the government waste £6.8 million a day on economic migrants, we all know the direction it is going and the government is wholly responsible and will have to take the consequences.
Enochs spirit will always find a body to reincarnate in! Rivers of Blood!!

..... Now most boats are intercepted, so we are seeing the problem much more clearly.
Yes. Radio 4 this morning; far more arrive by other means, far more prefer other EU countries not least because the processing of work permits is quicker.
There's a real sense that the immigration "crisis" is a construct as a vote winner for the right.

"09.17 GMT
Madeleine Sumption, director of the Migration Observatory at the University of Oxford, said she imagines policymakers in France and Germany would look at the UK immigration numbers and “wondering what the fuss is about”.

She said the backlog had increased because as numbers have risen, capacity for decision-making not increased and there are fewer asylum claim decisions being made over the last year or so than before the pandemic.

She told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme:
The UK experienced a period for most of the 2010s where there were actually very low numbers of asylum claims by historical standards."

https://migrationobservatory.ox.ac.uk/

Last edited:
No, you are wrong I'm afraid - landlords are not in the business of evicting good tenants for no good reason - there is simply no reason they would do that other than genuine reasons like selling up etc. Even bad landlords will want to hang on to their good tenants. Don't believe all you read in the press, its largely only bad tenants that get evicted.

If a landlord needs to sell or re-occupy his property, then they are two very good reasons to ask the tenants to leave - we do after all still have lawful respect for private property rights, despite the certain sections of societies desire to undermine these bedrocks of civilisation.
This is obvious nonsense.

There are good and bad landlords, pretending otherwise is a bit silly.

Thinking that bad landlord will always act in there own financial interest is also not a realistic assumption.

Back