More sharpening woes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigbud78

Established Member
Reaction score
I thought I was getting there but as the wheel on my grinder is getting smaller my home made jigs are now all out and I really can not be bothered to make them again.

I want a final solution, I want a repeatable edge on my tools that's easy to do. I dont have enough time on the lathe as is so dont want to be messing around with sharpening anymore xD I currently have a record 8" grinder.

Keep using the grinder
http://www.axminster.co.uk/tormek-bgk-4 ... kit-504087

Proedge
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/20068748 ... pla&crdt=0

Wetstone of some description ? Tormek or clone

Has anyone used the tormek grinder kit ? My heart is saying just buy the proedge by my wallet is complaining a lot.

Why not just buy a couple of new grinder wheels and continue to use your own jigs?
Wheels are consumables and if your wheels are getting small buying a new jig isn't going to get around this problem.

As an alternative to the Tormek jigs you could buy the Sorby equivalent jig...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Robert-So...12f86b&pid=100338&rk=7&rkt=14&sd=200687480823

or the Axminster version...
http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-woodturner-s-sharpening-system-950032

The Pro-edge is very nice but it isn't a panacea or particularly cheap to run IMHO as you need to budget for belts. They're a consumable too - same as your wheels.

Jon

I must say I'm hearing very good things about CBN wheels too. I'm yet to try one because I'm so invested already in various other pieces of kit so I don't have a need but everyone who tries them rates them.

"Repeatable edge and easy to do" was one reason why I bought the pro edge. It is quick, clean and very easy. Belts are pretty cheap and last a long time.

I have a tormek and a cbn wheeel on a creusen grinder.
if i was to have my time over again I would have an 8" grinder with a cbn wheel with the tormek bench grinder jigs

the edge from the cbn is superb and nearly as good as from the tormek, but i am sick of my tormek stone cupping.

snainton have some T7 on sale if you decide to go that way.

AJB Temple":3ou3qxl3 said:
"Repeatable edge and easy to do" was one reason why I bought the pro edge. It is quick, clean and very easy. Belts are pretty cheap and last a long time.

He's not wrong. Just buy a Pro Edge and be done with it. Long after the pain of buying it has gone you'll be telling others how good it is.

I'm going for a pro edge as soon as I can justify spending the money (when one of these bloody job interviews pays off).

My cheap bench grinder vibrates everything off my shelves. I've been forced to sharpen everything on the floor which is the only place that absorbs the shaking. The Keith Rowley homemade jigs are fine but mine has taken a serious beating. Time for something more professional I think.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Rhossydd":27atjwfw said:
+1 on the Pro-Edge here too

+1, will never go back to a wheel of any sort after a Proedge.

So many uses beyond just sharpening that wheels don't do as well or as safely.

Phil

Sheptonphil":3k3eg800 said:
+1, will never go back to a wheel of any sort after a Proedge.

Phil
Out of curiosity what is it you don't like about cbn wheels ? In my mind they tick all the boxes- diameter doesn't change, no risk of wheel shattering, cutting edge is cool as a cucumber (I only quench now out of habit), fast cutting, cleaner.

Coley

phil.p":1jraz3np said:
if the grind doesn't suit you you're not likely to buy one, though.
Are there really many people that would find the any difference between hollow sharpening and flat sharpening ?
For me I only found things much better with sharper and more consistent edges on my tools. I can find no disadvantage to tools sharpened with the SPE instead of a 6" grinder myself.

There are a few very experienced turners at our club that don't like them - I can't see there being that much of a difference, though, certainly not enough to put me off buying one. A preference, yes - the deciding factor, no. The only thing that puts me off buying one is the price - hence it's about 101st on my list of "must be paid fors".

phil.p":24rqxzdn said:
There are a few very experienced turners at our club that don't like them
I'm curious to understand why, it's not something I've ever seen mentioned elsewhere.
Given the wide variation in both tools types and applications, I can't see how it would make a huge difference.

I wonder how many could actually tell the difference in real world use when properly blind tested ?

Some of the wood turning tools I've bought were indeed sharp enough to use straight out of the packet ( in spite of some folks claiming the opposite) and some needed a slight touch with a slip stone. As expected, none of them though were hollow ground.

Back