More money than sense?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, I see no reason why it fetched that price, I wish some I've sold could have made that much. In fact it doesn't seem a particularly good example. It's been recently "got at" sanded, painted and varnished and not particularly well at that.. It also has a broken rear handled (disclosed).

His presentation is excellent...the quality of that plane is not.

As Roger quite rightly says...it's been "cleaned" as the horrendous scratches to the cap iron and the rather Himalayan finish on the front knob dictate!

A common problem with a lot of the eBay sellers I'm afraid.

Jim

If you are a well-heeled American woodworker, wanting to use hand tools, a Record 4 1/2 is not a very common plane, much rarer than a Stanley, so nice to have.
You want one - because you spend a lot of time reading blog posts by Paul Sellers, Chris Schwarz and other influential people saying that a good used plane is what you need.
You don't want a mucky old one where the dirt could conceal hidden defects so you go for one which has been cleaned up, from a seller with a huge track record of thousands of successful sales. You are still well under the price of a Lie Nielsen or Clifton.

We could even be helping form such opinions, with our enthusiastic descriptions of good old tools!

This is not the first time this guy has been mentioned on this forum. To the OP this guy constantly get top prices for his tools instead of bemoaning the prices payed why don't you watch how and why he does it, then you can do it yourself its easy.
Last time I checked it is still a free country and people can spend their money how they like.

Billy Flitch":1gd2ntvx said:
This is not the first time this guy has been mentioned on this forum. To the OP this guy constantly get top prices for his tools instead of bemoaning the prices payed why don't you watch how and why he does it, then you can do it yourself its easy.
Last time I checked it is still a free country and people can spend their money how they like.
Yes it's still a free country so we can all have our opinions and say what we like. Okay?

The buyer paid well over the odds for that plane which, of course, he's free to do ....... :D

Ahem, it's not actually sold yet - there is still over a day to go.

Yes we can all say what we like but that is not the question the OP asked,Wether the price is over the odds or not is open to discussion to get to that price at least two people have to bid for it and by the way this sale is not over yet.

It's worth precisely what someone is prepared to pay for it. The same seller could offer an exactly similar item next week, and not make £40.

A couple of other points - not every UK Ebay seller will post internationally, so that cuts down the buying opportunities if you happen to be bidding from overseas. The seller in question has a lot of sales to his name and 100% positive feedback, so he clearly tries hard to look after his customers, which if you've bought from him before may well be worth an extra few quid on the bid. Also, there are parts of the world in which good secondhand tools are rare or virtually non-existant - even the West Coast of America is much less blessed in this regard than the longer-colonised East Coast.

On the subject of auctions generally, here's a blog post (not entirely woodwork related) that may amuse; http://annaraccoon.com/2014/10/07/valui ... on-bubble/

Ah Cheshirechappie the voice of reason you have started to answer the OP`s question. Before any one thinks it, I`m not the seller but I have had dealings with him I won a tool from him and when I got it, it was bust so that's just the start of trouble the cost of sending it back then paying for another one to be sent to me out ways the cost of the tool.
When I contacted him he said just send me a pic of the tool so I did. He sent me another tool no cost no problem keep the old one. now that is service. He made no moneys at all on that deal most probable lost. The guy is a pro, 13500 deals made 100%positive feed back not one complaint that says a lot.He always sales at the same time each week, same background to his tools, no matter where I`m the cost of the post comes up on the screen,not like some sellers that when I contact the they what 4 times for the post that what I would pay for the tool.

The guy puts a lot of work into it to get it just right and that's why I lift my cap to him and that's why his tools sell for top dollar.

Yep mine are like that, I also have one with the mix of rosewood and beech.
The blade and cap iron are also a mix the square shoulder cap iron is older than the blade.

Pete

I used to be surprised at what items sell for on eBay but not any longer. I've seen stuff sell for MORE than you can buy them new with free postage!

Hi Guys,
Not been here for a long time, been really busy doing what these people do on EBay!

The Barnes guys are top notch tool sellers who put their tools on at 99p most of the time and let the market decide what they make, they have huge balls to list expensive stuff for 99p and take it on the chin if it does not work out. I cannot bring myself to take such risks,.
I am up against them at many auctions and they really pay on for the good stuff and richly deserve the prices they get... or should I say, sometimes get!
They take good clear photos and give good descriptions.

EBay is a strange environment and takes some getting used to; much harder for sellers now as EB take 10% of ALL shipping charged for doing pipper all. This is then perceived by buyers as sellers charging too much postage, so they give low dsr's which in turn let EB remove the sellers monthly 10% final fee discount... b*****s!

To put it in perspective I spend about £14k pa in my local village Post Office. As of last Setember EB just take another £1400+ from me in one go. The small margin I used to charge on actual postage to cover my £1100 or so packaging materials was gone in one go.
All that said however, the whole thing is a nice way to get out and look for good interesting stuff which both my wife and I thoroughly enjoy.
We have met some really nice people who have come from all over the country to pick up stuff from us.
We have had some truly amazing finds and have had some really bad deals, swings and roundabouts.
A previous poster has mentioned how some people pay more on EB than you can buy stuff for new, so true. Recently we got £60 for a new block plane that Axminster sell for about £25, we started it at 9.99 so who knows what motivates people. It does of course have to be more than ONE person to ramp up like that?
I am pretty sure that one or two people from here have bought from us and always left pos feedback!
Cheers all
Martin

Back